1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 02:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    People of all stripes often behave in ways online which would result in a punch in the throat were the same behavior to occur in real life.
    I think Forum Life can bring us into contact with people we perceive to be misanthropes, weaklings and charlatans [and other types of interpersonal miscreants] while in Real Life such people ~ to a degree ~ tend to get filtered out from the circle of friends and contacts with whom we broach Forum type things. 🙂
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 May '14 02:58
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    What else can I feel? Helplessness?

Or are you thinking I should feel more compassionate towards those who've been harmed? I actually do feel bad for most of them, because I know they didn't become this way on their own. They've been brainwashed from a very young age to focus only on their rights. If I try telling them that maybe they should thi ...[text shortened]... ded in that compassion is the desire to tell them how avoid having their rights violated.
    You misspelled condescension.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 May '14 03:01
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    He meant condensation. 😕
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 May '14 03:05
    No, you misspelled condensation.

You poor sap... you're one of those brainwashed (henpecked) males who finds it easier to just to go along with whatever PC social convention happens to be dominant. In fact, you've probably been stuck in this mindset for so long now that you aren't even aware of when (or if) this happened to you.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 May '14 03:101 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    He meant condensation. 😕
    Dang, you're good! You got your post up here before I was done with mine... the condensation joke was supposed to be mine, cowboy!

you two fingered speedy, uh... aw dang, I can't think of good insult at the moment!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 03:27
    You poor sap... you're one of those brainwashed (henpecked) males who finds it easier to just to go along with whatever PC social convention happens to be dominant. In fact, you've probably been stuck in this mindset for so long now that you aren't even aware of when (or if) this happened to you.
    Isn't your stuff about "brainwashed" "militant women" and "henpecked males" just drawn from your own alternative "PC social convention" ~ an anti-PC code of which you are proud and certain ~ and if so, surely anyone can just say to you something along the lines of you've probably been stuck in this mindset for so long now that you aren't even aware of when (or if) this happened to you and it has no more or less resonance or traction than when you say it to people who see things differently from you?
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 May '14 03:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Isn't your stuff about "brainwashed" "militant women" and "henpecked males" just drawn from your own alternative "PC social convention" ~ an anti-PC code of which you are proud and certain ~ and if so, surely anyone can just say to you something along the lines of [i]you've probably been stuck in this mindset for so long now that you aren't even aware of when (o ...[text shortened]... r less resonance or traction than when you say it to people who see things differently from you?
    Look at Andys two posts directed towards me, "Neanderthal" and "condescension", and think about what it means... and then tell me I'm wrong.

My views were formed from experience and from listening to endless talk about womens rights. And those talks almost always included what I can only call misrepresentations of what most men think and feel. I personally feel the greatest damage done by the womens movement has been to alienate men who might otherwise be sympathetic towards them. They have overplayed their hand, and have caused some men to become misogynists who would have otherwise grown up to become normal men.

Look at society now compared to what it looked like 50 years ago. Women are being treated worse now than they were when it was considered to be normal for men to feel protective of them.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Isn't your stuff about "brainwashed" "militant women" and "henpecked males" just drawn from your own alternative "PC social convention" ~ an anti-PC code of which you are proud and certain ~ and if so, surely anyone can just say to you something along the lines of [i]you've probably been stuck in this mindset for so long now that you aren't even aware of when (o ...[text shortened]... r less resonance or traction than when you say it to people who see things differently from you?
    I know I'm speaking to people who think differently than me. And they are listening to someone who thinks differently than them. So what?

If they don't like what I'm saying that's fine. I don't demand that anyone think or believe as I do. On the other hand, I refuse to stay silent on an issue just because of how easy it has been to shout down and shut out people who don't happen to agree with them.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:25
    If they don't like what I'm saying that's fine. I don't demand that anyone think or believe as I do. On the other hand, I refuse to stay silent on an issue just because of how easy it has been to shout down and shut out people who don't happen to agree with them.
    I just think, when you refuse to stay silent, which is good, that you'd make your case better without using a kind of empty, generic 'debating point' that pretty much anyone could use against against anyone else in probably just about any situation.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    I just think, when you refuse to stay silent, which is good, that you'd make your case better without using a kind of empty, generic 'debating point' that pretty much anyone could use against against anyone else in probably just about any situation.
    It doesn't matter how it's said, because ultimately it's up to the reader to decide (for him or herself) if he or she agrees or not. I'm only in control of my own thoughts and feelings and how I express them. I don't presume to influence anyone into changing their minds anymore than I would feel that it's my responsibility to change their underware for them.

They can change their own darn underware, or not change them... that's none of my business or affair.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:38
    Are you wearing your throat protector?
    As a matter of fact, yes: I wear it constantly.
    Unlike some, I type out the words imagining the person to whom I am responding (if it is that specific) as though they are within my physical periphery, and I theirs.
    I couldn't live with myself knowing I've represented something about myself other than what I know to be faithful and accurate.
    In other words, I am fully capable to stand by what I say at any time.

I wonder how many herein can honestly say the same thing?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:391 edit
    Look at Andys two posts directed towards me, "Neanderthal" and "condescension", and think about what it means... and then tell me I'm wrong.
    I suppose the "Neanderthal" barb translates as 'backward' and 'outdated'. And the "condescension" barb suggests that you see yourself as superior.

But your attempted barb in return ~ that Handy Andy is a "henpecked male" ~ is interesting. He genuinely believes you are backward and consider yourself to be superior to women. His beliefs about you are there in his barbs.

On the other hand, do you genuinely believe that he is "henpecked" and that he therefore [presumably, according to you] has difficulty relating to women or is bullied by them or is unable to have his ideas prevail when confronted by women? Is this really what you believe?

And are you ~ by seeking to contrast yourself with him ~ saying that you are not "henpecked" (whatever you mean by it exactly) and that you somehow 'stand up to' women and don't obey them and refuse to be led by them ... or whatever you think the opposite of "henpecked" is?

Do you genuinely believe that your more conservative view on the status of women is served by calling someone who disagrees with you a "henpecked male". Personally I think it does you a disservice.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think Forum Life can bring us into contact with people we perceive to be misanthropes, weaklings and charlatans [and other types of interpersonal miscreants] while in Real Life such people ~ to a degree ~ tend to get filtered out from the circle of friends and contacts with whom we broach Forum type things. 🙂
    I agree to a point, but I must admit that even in real life, I am always more drawn to the cerebral, thoughtful, witty, sarcastic, antagonistic and challenging folks with opinions I either share or care to shred.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '14 04:42
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    As a matter of fact, yes: I wear it constantly.
    Unlike some, I type out the words imagining the person to whom I am responding (if it is that specific) as though they are within my physical periphery, and I theirs.
    I couldn't live with myself knowing I've represented something about myself other than what I know to be faithful and accurate.
    In other wor ...[text shortened]... to stand by what I say at any time.

I wonder how many herein can honestly say the same thing?
    This comes across as a kind of convoluted, mealy-mouthed 'internet tough guy' claim about yourself. There are a few 'internet tough guys' on the Debates Forum too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree