RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 08:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Truth is often unpleasant
    There is no god.
    There is no afterlife.
    You are never seeing your wife again.
    You have wasted much of your life on superstitious nonsense.
    That is the Truth.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 12:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    There is no god.
    There is no afterlife.
    You are never seeing your wife again.
    You have wasted much of your life on superstitious nonsense.
    That is the Truth.
    As always I respect your right to hold different sets of opinions, values and beliefs than my own. Here's an in depth commentary on the legality and illegality of suicide by country which may be of interest: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/07/24/is-suicide-illegal-suicide-laws-by-country/
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 13:26
    As always I respect your right to hold different sets of opinions, values and beliefs than my own. Here's an in depth commentary on the legality and illegality of suicide by country which may be of interest: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/07/24/is-suicide-illegal-suicide-laws-by-country/
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even if that reasoning is clouded by despair. If someone decides to commit suicide it is because they feel they can no longer go on. 'Insult' doesn't comes into it. A family is entitled to feel saddened at such a tragic event, but not insulted. It is not a case of 'throwing life back in their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 14:00
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even if ...[text shortened]... k in their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
    Well reasoned, comprehensive rationale. All families perceive themselves in different
    ways which reflect different values and honor codes with respect to suicide. imo
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 14:33
    Well reasoned, comprehensive rationale. All families perceive themselves in different ways which reflect different values and honor codes with respect to suicide. imo
    So what's happened to your stuff about [1] suicide "with rare exceptions" being an insult to whole of the human race? (page 1) And what's happened to your stuff about [2] the only alternatives to disagreeing with you are "truth mixed with error, outright falsehoods and premeditated lies"? (page 3)
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 14:38
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even ...[text shortened]... their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
    I agree.
    Despondent people who commit suicide are often beyond the point of thinking rationally...their pain too great, too overwhelming to see or think with any clarity.
    Some may have convinced themselves that their loved ones might be better off without them. They feel like a burden in some way....which is actually an unselfish line of thinking...misguided perhaps, but certainly not insulting.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 14:48
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    I agree.
    Despondent people who commit suicide are often beyond the point of thinking rationally...their pain too great, too overwhelming to see or think with any clarity.
    Some may have convinced themselves that their loved ones might be better off without them. They feel like a burden in some way....which is actually an unselfish line of thinking...misguided perhaps, but certainly not insulting.
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
  9. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 14:59
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:11
    Just be very grateful, Bob.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:13
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide.
    Do you believe this has been because of "honour codes"?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:13
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
    Does Therapy and/or Medications alleviate the "Despair"?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:16
    Originally posted by lolof
    Just be very grateful, Bob.
    Yes, lolof, I've always been grateful for this blessing.

Note: Welcome home, even if its only a cameo appearance.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:17
    Originally posted by divegeester to Grampy Bobby
    You have absolutely no clue about this topic whatsoever.
    And yet he's talking about the "lies" of those who disagree with him on it.
  15. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:22
    Does Therapy and/or Medications alleviate the "Despair"?
    That's the hope, but of course, not always effective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree