General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Nov '15 12:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    There is no god.
    There is no afterlife.
    You are never seeing your wife again.
    You have wasted much of your life on superstitious nonsense.
    That is the Truth.
    As always I respect your right to hold different sets of opinions, values and beliefs than my own. Here's an in depth commentary on the legality and illegality of suicide by country which may be of interest: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/07/24/is-suicide-illegal-suicide-laws-by-country/
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    12712
    23 Nov '15 13:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    As always I respect your right to hold different sets of opinions, values and beliefs than my own. Here's an in depth commentary on the legality and illegality of suicide by country which may be of interest: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/07/24/is-suicide-illegal-suicide-laws-by-country/
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even if that reasoning is clouded by despair. If someone decides to commit suicide it is because they feel they can no longer go on. 'Insult' doesn't comes into it. A family is entitled to feel saddened at such a tragic event, but not insulted. It is not a case of 'throwing life back in their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Nov '15 14:00
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even if ...[text shortened]... k in their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
    Well reasoned, comprehensive rationale. All families perceive themselves in different
    ways which reflect different values and honor codes with respect to suicide. imo
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29897
    23 Nov '15 14:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Well reasoned, comprehensive rationale. All families perceive themselves in different ways which reflect different values and honor codes with respect to suicide. imo
    So what's happened to your stuff about [1] suicide "with rare exceptions" being an insult to whole of the human race? (page 1) And what's happened to your stuff about [2] the only alternatives to disagreeing with you are "truth mixed with error, outright falsehoods and premeditated lies"? (page 3)
  5. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40279
    23 Nov '15 14:38
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the 'legality' of suicide is a different conversation. The question at hand is if an individual who does comment suicide is 'insulting' anybody. As an atheist, I of course do not believe that such a tragic event is an insult to God, but I also do not believe it is an insult to the living. People act in accordance to their own reasoning, even ...[text shortened]... their face' but rather an act by someone who can no longer cope with life, for whatever reason.
    I agree.
    Despondent people who commit suicide are often beyond the point of thinking rationally...their pain too great, too overwhelming to see or think with any clarity.
    Some may have convinced themselves that their loved ones might be better off without them. They feel like a burden in some way....which is actually an unselfish line of thinking...misguided perhaps, but certainly not insulting.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Nov '15 14:48
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    I agree.
    Despondent people who commit suicide are often beyond the point of thinking rationally...their pain too great, too overwhelming to see or think with any clarity.
    Some may have convinced themselves that their loved ones might be better off without them. They feel like a burden in some way....which is actually an unselfish line of thinking...misguided perhaps, but certainly not insulting.
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40279
    23 Nov '15 14:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    23 Nov '15 15:11
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
    Just be very grateful, Bob.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29897
    23 Nov '15 15:13
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide.
    Do you believe this has been because of "honour codes"?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Nov '15 15:13
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
    Does Therapy and/or Medications alleviate the "Despair"?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    23 Nov '15 15:16
    Originally posted by lolof
    Just be very grateful, Bob.
    Yes, lolof, I've always been grateful for this blessing.

    Note: Welcome home, even if its only a cameo appearance.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29897
    23 Nov '15 15:17
    Originally posted by divegeester to Grampy Bobby
    You have absolutely no clue about this topic whatsoever.
    And yet he's talking about the "lies" of those who disagree with him on it.
  13. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40279
    23 Nov '15 15:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Does Therapy and/or Medications alleviate the "Despair"?
    That's the hope, but of course, not always effective.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    12712
    23 Nov '15 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
    Likewise.

    I know we shouldn't have favourites, when it comes to clients, but a few years back a chap i had a lot of time for threw himself under a train. He was in a very unhappy place, despite the people around him doing their best to offer support. I was very much saddened by his suicide, but didn't feel he had let anybody down by his actions. I wish i could have done more, but understand his despair became too much for him to bear.

    Edit:- I remember when i use to do a home visit to see him, he always had my favourite chocolate bar waiting for me on his coffee table.
  15. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40279
    23 Nov '15 15:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Likewise.

    I know we shouldn't have favourites, when it comes to clients, but a few years back a chap i had a lot of time for threw himself under a train. He was in a very unhappy place, despite the people around him doing their best to offer support. I was very much saddened by his suicide, but didn't feel he had let anybody down by his actions. I wish i could have done more, but understand his despair became too much for him to bear.
    That is very sad. To get to that point, a person has to have no hope at all.

    Last spring, a 16 year old boy committed suicide at my daughters' high school. No one saw it coming. Outwardly, he seemed "fine." Epitome of a "good kid"... awesome student & athlete, friendly towards all, polite, etc...

    Despair is not always obvious nor does it discriminate I suppose.
Back to Top