1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Yes, I am surrounded by despondent people due to the nature of my job. Daily actually.
    Despair is not a character flaw.
    Likewise.

I know we shouldn't have favourites, when it comes to clients, but a few years back a chap i had a lot of time for threw himself under a train. He was in a very unhappy place, despite the people around him doing their best to offer support. I was very much saddened by his suicide, but didn't feel he had let anybody down by his actions. I wish i could have done more, but understand his despair became too much for him to bear.

Edit:- I remember when i use to do a home visit to see him, he always had my favourite chocolate bar waiting for me on his coffee table.
  2. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Likewise.

I know we shouldn't have favourites, when it comes to clients, but a few years back a chap i had a lot of time for threw himself under a train. He was in a very unhappy place, despite the people around him doing their best to offer support. I was very much saddened by his suicide, but didn't feel he had let anybody down by his actions. I wish i could have done more, but understand his despair became too much for him to bear.
    That is very sad. To get to that point, a person has to have no hope at all.

Last spring, a 16 year old boy committed suicide at my daughters' high school. No one saw it coming. Outwardly, he seemed "fine." Epitome of a "good kid"... awesome student & athlete, friendly towards all, polite, etc...

Despair is not always obvious nor does it discriminate I suppose.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 15:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    None of my family members nor friends have ever contemplated or committed suicide. Has your experience been different or similar?
    To be honest, i think that is quite a bold statement to make. I'm glad to hear none of your family or friends have committed suicide, but i don't think you (or anyone) can say with certainty that they haven't, at some point in their lives, contemplated it. - But then that is just the point. Suicide, or even the contemplation of suicide, is often a personal 'inward' struggle that may never be evident to the people around, including family and friends.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 16:12
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    That's the hope, but of course, not always effective.
    Thanks for your insights.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '15 16:13
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    To be honest, i think that is quite a bold statement to make. I'm glad to hear none of your family or friends have committed suicide, but i don't think you (or anyone) can say with certainty that they haven't, at some point in their lives, contemplated it. - But then that is just the point. Suicide, or even the contemplation of suicide, is often a pe ...[text shortened]... 'inward' struggle that may never be evident to the people around, including family and friends.
    Point taken.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 00:53
    God's respect for human volition is not compromised by His omniscience and omnipotence because of His righteousness and justice.
    That was a lot of blather. Then again, maybe the discussion had gone as far as it possibly could. 🙄
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 02:03
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That was a lot of blather. Then again, maybe the discussion had gone as far as it possibly could. 🙄
    Without an adequate frame of reference it's difficult if not impossible to understand the topic of an intellectual discussion.
    Thanks for your reasoned approach.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 04:16
    GD, I respect the Libertarian View as well as the Physician Assisted Euthanasia decision some terminally ill patients or their designated Health Proxy may choose; nonetheless, in my own view, God created your life and mine [and the lives of the rest human race since human history began] with an individual purpo ...[text shortened]... ing suicide?"

No "worrying", BDP; simply an unwelcome statement of fact.
    It's not a fact, it's just your uniformed, unsympathetic, callous and bigoted opinion.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 15:26
    Respect the position of those in authority even when you don't respect them or their policies in the workplace or in any other applicable venue of life.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 21:45
    Respect the position of those in authority even when you don't respect them or their policies in the workplace or in any other applicable venue of life.
    No. Absolutely not.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 22:36
    This sounds a bit like 'Asian values'.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 23:30
    What nonsense. But it does say a lot about your attitude here.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 23:39
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP: Page 1)
    Our Ethical Creeds

“The Paradoxical Commandments:

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.”

(Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution:
    Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council)

Your "Ethical Creed"?

Reminder: The only topic of this thread is "Our Ethical Creeds" which excludes
    ad hoc attacks on other Red Hot Pawn members. Please comply. Thank you.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 23:501 edit
    [b]Reminder: The only topic of this thread is "Our Ethical Creeds" which excludes ad hoc attacks on other Red Hot Pawn members. Please comply. Thank you.[/b]
    If not an ad hoc attack on fellow community members, how then would you describe your smearing of those who disagree with your purported version of the 'truth" as being purveyors of "outright falsehoods and premeditated lies" on page 4?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '15 07:081 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    If "Grampy Bobby believes it, it must be "the truth" and those who reject it accept "a lie." That's the most bigoted, narrow-minded, egotistical statement I have ever read, and what I say in response is, how dare you take the God role upon yourself!

Using a person's happiness in the birth of a child to make snide comments about suicide is obscenely bad behaviour. Even for you, GB.

{edited for typos only}
    Grampy Bobby's comments about suicide in this thread possibly stand as the most offensive I've read on this forum in the nearly 9 years I've been posting here.

I hope his self-anointed condemnatory bigotry on this topic is a sufficient revelation to those who swallow his " lonely old man" propaganda.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree