1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 17:48
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Thank you Bobby but I am no fool, I promise 😉 lol
    I am well aware of the fact that some posters will be hateful and maliciously argumentative and rude just to stir the pot and/or just because they are fulfilling some need in their life. It's actually quite sad.

But there is always the chance...however slim (lol)...that a person is given some foo ...[text shortened]... nd so I chime in here & there, on occasion, with that hope. But certainly no expectations 😉 lol
    You're quite welcome. Yes, your reply is wisely reasoned and well said. Treating others better than they deserve
    and giving the benefit of doubt, forgiving and forgetting online and offline still makes perfect sense to me.
  2. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 17:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    You're quite welcome. Yes, your reply is wisely reasoned and well said. Treating others better than they deserve
    and giving the benefit of doubt, forgiving and forgetting online and offline still makes perfect sense to me.
    I guess to some this is boring. lol

You are obviously a gentleman. What a rarity. lol I read in one of your posts about how you came to find yourself online after the passing of your beloved wife. Just a heartfelt, honest post from you and yet you got thumbs down and some callous comments from a few if I recall. I have no idea what is wrong with some people that they would respond to your post in that way. Kind of disturbing. But all I can say is karma, karma, karma 🙂 lol
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:03
    I just wanted to share what I think is an AWESOME use of social media....

Although social media/technology has clearly done some good in our world, I don't think any of us can deny that it was also caused some serious problems. Especially within the younger population (cyberbullying, predators having a field day roping in minors, less physical acti ...[text shortened]... he one that is most reputable....

Anyhow, I hope this info helps just one person out there 🙂
    I feel your pain queen.
    But I don't give a rats ass !
  4. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:04
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    I feel your pain queen.
    But I don't give a rats ass !
    How sad.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:09
    I agree. But such is life, I suppose.

Last night I read a campaign about a young special needs boy who was repeatedly bullied at school. Someone stole or damaged his hearing aid and the parents were asking for donations to replace it. I sent in a modest amount. I have no idea if this boy exists, if this really happened...but in the event that it is not a scam, it was an easy, painless thing for me to do.
    It seems that Koltin is a real child and that he did need a new hearing aid according to the local news.
    They claim the hearing aids cast $5000. (seems high to me, but I do not know and do not know why insurance would not cover it.)

But, that brings up the second problem with GoFundMe or GoFraudMe. People who are legitimate, or appear so and tell a heart-breaking story, (This one has all the earmarks: bullies, disabilities, deaf, children,) often end up getting far more than they ask for or need.

In Koltin's case the family had received $7000 and the number just keeps going up. They only asked for 5000. (My guess is that they really needed much less than that for an item that should have been covered by insurance)

Remember that guy in Detroit that wanted a car to get to and from work. He ended up getting 100s of thousands of dollars. And the people who set it up for him just kept the extra claiming they would use it for his benefit.

Frankly, if you give money to GoFraudMe more than a couple of times, it is most likely you have been scammed. I hate to tell you that, because your heart is obviously in the right place. Next time give money to the American Society for the Deaf or some other legitimate organization like the Wounded Warriors Project or The American Cancer Society.
  6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:16
    Just walked past a dishevelled unshaven guy playing a guitar singing Breakfast in America.
    I said that's Supertramp.
    He thanked me for my compliment.
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:20
    Originally posted by Red Night
    It seems that Koltin is a real child and that he did need a new hearing aid according to the local news.
    They claim the hearing aids cast $5000. (seems high to me, but I do not know and do not know why insurance would not cover it.)

But, that brings up the second problem with GoFundMe or GoFraudMe. People who are legitimate, or appear so and tell a ...[text shortened]... other legitimate organization like the Wounded Warriors Project or The American Cancer Society.
    I am a huge supporter of Wounded Warriors. Both in money and time....

And like I said, I have helped three people on GoFundMe who I have KNOWN & were definitely legit. The story of the special needs boy I did not know touched my heart ... so I "risked" it. No regrets.

That guy in Detroit, who walked a ridiculous amount of miles to and from work for like 20 years if I recall? And never complained? Never raised the woe-is-me-flag? Well, I hope they raised tenfold the amount requested and that he is on the beaches of Hawaii now sipping a margarita. lol More power to him!

Some things are beyond our control - scammers exist everywhere and have existed from the dawn of day.. but I say, carry on. Don't be gullible. Use common sense and your intellect. But also, try to balance that with taking a chance on a stranger every so often.

Makes the world go 'round 😉
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:271 edit
    Oh yes, I can picture you in my mind, with my third, prescient eye.

Your supersized rear comfortably glued, sweaty and stinky, to the fresh leather seats of your giant SUVs. A/C to the max. Heading to a megachurch on a Sunday morning, cruising through ravaged ghettos, to listen to the prosperity gospel. An oiled hair preacher telling you how promptly god will shower you with material, lavish blessings in exchange for your goodness. Your hearts full of compassion and love on the way back, again passing through the hordes of miserables, to then gorge on fried chicken once you reach your giant, mortgage-ridden homes.

This is your life. And I know it is 99% accurate, you swollen philistine. Shout
    with me God bless America! Greatest nation on earth! True holders of
    christian compassion! Let me give you my spare change, inferior brownies!
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:281 edit

That guy in Detroit, who walked a ridiculous amount of miles to and from work for like 20 years if I recall? And never complained? Never raised the woe-is-me-flag? Well, I hope they raised tenfold the amount requested and that he is on the beaches of Hawaii now sipping a margarita.
    He isn't, but the guy who set up the account for him is.

Actually, the Detroit guy has to park his new car far away from his house in the precinct of a Detroit police station and he lives in constant fear because people think he has all this money and he did not even get enough of the $350,000 to move.
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:32
    That guy in Detroit, who walked a ridiculous amount of miles to and from work for like 20 years if I recall? And never complained? Never raised the woe-is-me-flag?

Darn lucky to have a job for 20 years.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:39
    Originally posted by Seitse

This is your life. And I know it is 99% accurate, you swollen philistine.
    You flop out of bed, a 3 day old curry and a Babycham still lingering on your breath. You wipe your face with a dirty rag and relieve yourself in the sink, before giving serious contemplation to your first forum thread of the day. "Shall i create a thread about toilets, or shall i create a thread about hedgehog suppositories? Which would be most outrageous?...I really need to be more outrageous than yesterday." With a belch and a fart you throw a spam sandwich at the cat before going back to bed.

This is your life. And I know it is 99% accurate...
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:41
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    That guy in Detroit, who walked a ridiculous amount of miles to and from work for like 20 years if I recall? And never complained? Never raised the woe-is-me-flag?

Darn lucky to have a job for 20 years.
    I know you are probably just trolling, but you make a legitimate point.

Real, hard-working people with legitimate problems rarely go begging.

the Detroit guy never asked for a dime. some 'smart' kid set up the GoFraudMe account for the guy and kept most of the money.

Most of the pages on GoFraudMe are scammers playing on the gullibility of people like Landis.

Frankly, it is really sad. That $7000+ that Koltin's parents scammed probably could have been used to get hearing aids for multiple underprivileged children who really needed help if it had been donated to a legitimate charity.
  13. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:44
    I know you are probably just trolling, but you make a legitimate point.

Real, hard-working people with legitimate problems rarely go begging.

the Detroit guy never asked for a dime. some 'smart' kid set up the GoFraudMe account for the guy and kept most of the money.

Most of the pages on GoFraudMe are scammers playing on the gullibility of people ...[text shortened]... underprivileged children who really needed help if it had been donated to a legitimate charity.
    I follow Gods ethos I HELP MYSELF
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:46
    Originally posted by redbadger
    I HELP MYSELF
    You have a fool for a client.
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:49
    You have a fool for a client.
    I don't even Know You Foolish one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree