1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:17
    I have a superhuman wrist. (I'm sure there's a joke in there for some rascal). Never encountered a jar I couldn't open,...until today. Wife handed me the jar of gherkins expectantly and the effort nearly killed me. Pretty sure the lid was superglued on. That must be it. - Eventually opened it with the aid of a running hot tap and a damp tea towel.

Is there a more trusted method of opening jars or should I just give up eating pickles?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:291 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I have a superhuman wrist. (I'm sure there's a joke in there for some rascal). Never encountered a jar I couldn't open,...until today. Wife handed me the jar of gherkins expectantly and the effort nearly killed me. Pretty sure the lid was superglued on. That must be it. - Eventually opened it with the aid of a running hot tap and a damp tea towel.

Is there a more trusted method of opening jars or should I just give up eating pickles?
    If you don't have one of those grip cloths try tapping the lid with a butter knife all around the lid, using the bigger end of the butter knife of course. I've never run across a jar I couldn't open. πŸ™‚

-VR
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:34
    @very-rusty said
    If you don't have one of those grip cloths try tapping the lid with a butter knife all around the lid, using the bigger end of the butter knife of course. I've never run across a jar I couldn't open. πŸ™‚

-VR
    I have a device that I bought in my cousin's rehab shop. It grips the lid and you lift it just a little to let air in or pressure out, I don't know, which but that is the principle and then you remove the lid.
  4. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:34
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Turn the jar upside down and give it a good slap with your palm. You will hear a pop. Open and enjoy.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:37
    @yeah-boy said
    Turn the jar upside down and give it a good slap with your palm. You will hear a pop. Open and enjoy.
    Sometimes that one doesn't work, but always worth a try, actually forgot about that one since I got the grip cloths, I always use them. Never fails to do the job.

-VR
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:37
    @yeah-boy said
    That sounds like witchcraft, but will give it a try next time I encounter a stubborn jar.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 16:481 edit
    @torunn said
    I have a device that I bought in my cousin's rehab shop. It grips the lid and you lift it just a little to let air in or pressure out, I don't know, which but that is the principle and then you remove the lid.
    Something to look at down the road when I don't have the strength to use the grip cloth. I am not getting any younger, but still lots of strength in my hands. πŸ™‚

We had a big snow storm that lasted 3 or 4 days depending on where you lived. I was 5 days shoveling snow everyday. I don't think there is a bone in my body that isn't sore!

-VR
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 17:49
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Tell one of your servants to open it πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 17:51

Removed by poster

10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 17:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Tesco pickled gherkins are tough. My 6’ 5” 26 year old can’t manage them either. Think they’re vacuum packed in the process? I just give them a quick jab with my pointy dagger.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 18:441 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

I have arthritic thumbs and opening any jar has become a challenge for me. I have a bench vice bolted to the kitchen counter for holding the glass jar and a special tool for gripping the jar lid which consists of a plastic lever with a flexible rubber whip which one wraps round the lid. Honk on the lever, and presto. Failing that, I ask my 18 yr. old daughter to do it for me. But she doesn't like pickles, so I have to promise her something for her services (e.g., Internet access though the firewall for one more hour).
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 19:48
    @the-gravedigger said
    Tell one of your servants to open it πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›
    What, and distract them from making the biscuits?
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 19:501 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Try not to get in a pickle over pickles. Don't you English have any of those grip cloths to open jars? They do the job!

Sorry, to hear the news about the king and the cancer. Hopefully, they will be able to treat it. I am sure Harry didn't come home for nothing, tells me things may not be so good. πŸ™

-VR
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 19:50
    @drewnogal said
    Tesco pickled gherkins are tough. My 6’ 5” 26 year old can’t manage them either. Think they’re vacuum packed in the process? I just give them a quick jab with my pointy dagger.
    Yes, did get them in Tesco.

Don't have a dagger myself, but do employ a couple of trustworthy assassins I could ask.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 19:54
    @very-rusty said
    Try not to get in a pickle over pickles. Don't you English have any of those grip cloths to open jars? They do the job!

Sorry, to hear the news about the king and the cancer. Hopefully, they will be able to treat it. I am sure Harry didn't come home for nothing, tells me things may not be so good. πŸ™

-VR
    I imagine they do exist here, but as I say, I have a superhuman wrist (no joke, it locks) and can usually open jars with just my hands.

God save the King.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree