Please dont accept challenges then delete the g...

Please dont accept challenges then delete the g...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stitching you up

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by jimslyp69
I merely made an observation about what I have assertained about your persona, by reading your opinion on a certain matter. Now let me put it to you that you are being grossly hypocritical by claiming that I am being the insulting one and calling me stupid in the same sentence.

No. It is not standard to wait around a few hours for someone to move when y ...[text shortened]... pect someone else to wait and wait for God knows how long for your good self.

Spare me dude.
I'd have to disagree. THe site has a minimum of 1 day/move so I'd have thought a person would have to wait for at least an hour or so to get the first move. I can accept that people who want faster games might set up 1 day t/o as this is the minimum, but if someone has set up a game with long time controls, like 14 days per move, it's pretty obvious that they aren't after a fast game.

You're right that it only takes a few seconds to set up a new open invite, but it must be frustrating to have your games accepted and cancelled time and time again - and if it's being done by the same person again and again then they can't claim they thought you'd move faster.

The site is for slow play. You can organise a fast game if you like, but I'd say it is inconsiderate to randomly accept open invites just to see if the other person also wants a fast game. If fast is waht you want would it not be better to create or only accept games that say "multiple moves oer day" or "fast game wanted"?

T

Moves
17 Jul 06

You made the "observation" that I think the world revolves around me. I choose to perceive this as an insult, please correct me if I am mistaken as to your intention.

In the same vein, I "observe" your reluctance to accept that a 3/day move challenge entitles your opponent to take 3 days per move. Perhaps its simply YOUR opponents who shouldnt take the time they are entitled to ? Anyway, please accept my remark about your "stupidity" as merely an observation based on the material to hand, made in the same spirit as your previous one. Answering something that can be taken as an insult in kind is in no way hypocritical.

You have a good point though - what about people who want to play a game with several moves per day. The ideal solution would be modifying the server to allow this option, eg time control of 30 min + 1 day reserve. In the meantime, perhaps open challenges with the title "please play several moves per day". Another solution would be to use one of the servers which support standard (as opposed to Blitz and correspondence) time controls and play a game there at a time control more suited to your needs. I suggest the ICC.

Anyway, I'm willing to stop the mud slinging if you are - if only beacuase I am curious as to the translation of res ipsa loquiter.

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
17 Jul 06

I have occasionally accepted games that say "quick game" or "finish today" or "fast movers only" and then they haven't moved all day. That is equally as irritating.

I also once accidently hit "accept game" completely randomly though I played that one out anyway.

F

London

Moves
17 Jul 06

res ipsa loquitUr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_ipsa_loquitur

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
17 Jul 06

I thought it was obvious a 1 day timeout means 1 day for the first move also. silly me. - some invites sit there for days. it would be moronic to expect people to check in every hour or so.

and what if your invite gets deleted? well BOO-HOO you little crybaby. just make another one.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by wormwood
I thought it was obvious a 1 day timeout means 1 day for the first move also. silly me. - some invites sit there for days. it would be moronic to expect people to check in every hour or so.

and what if your invite gets deleted? well BOO-HOO you little crybaby. just make another one.
Exactly. It's being taken care by Russ, so this guy should just stop whining.

The delete button is there, so they are entitled to use it as long as it is there. If that bothers someone, then they should just propose a solution to the Site Ideas forum, not come to the General Forum spouting sanctimonious crap.

T

Moves
17 Jul 06

In your example, once you accept a challenge, the opponent has 1 day to make the reply. Yes, its obvious.

If challenges sit round for days, fine. The person who posted them is free to delte them. There is no logical reason anybody else should though.

It does indeed take only a few seconds to offer a challenge. It doesnt take much longer to waste everyones time by deleting it. What does take time is waiting for someone to accept once the challenge has been issued. Hence the idea of leaving open invites. And hence the fact that its rude to delete a challenge because you are too impatient to wait for a move - especially as the time limit for the move arriving is inherent in the challenge you are accepting in the first place.

The problem would also be partially solved if deleting an unstarted challege automatically reposted the challenge. Though it would still have taken away the opportunity of more patient players to accept the challenge in the meantime.

PS "Boohoo you little crybaby?" Grow up.

T

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Exactly. It's being taken care by Russ, so this guy should just stop whining.

The delete button is there, so they are entitled to use it as long as it is there. If that bothers someone, then they should just propose a solution to the Site Ideas forum, not come to the General Forum spouting sanctimonious crap.
Asking people to avoid rude behaviour isnt spouting sanctimonius crap and it isnt whining. Neither is explaining why it is rude. The "solution" to rudeness should be people not being due in the first place. And if you dont like my "crap" I suggest you simply dont read it as opposed to insulting me without offfering a solution yourself.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by Theoryhack
Asking people to avoid rude behaviour isnt spouting sanctimonius crap and it isnt whining. Neither is explaining why it is rude. The "solution" to rudeness should be people not being due in the first place. And if you dont like my "crap" I suggest you simply dont read it as opposed to insulting me without offfering a solution yourself.
Russ said he's taking care of it, so a solution is already on the way.

Besides, that 'problem' doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is people accusing others of rudeness for doing something that they are allowed to do and without knowing the reasons on why they did it.

In your face

Moves
17 Jul 06

You made the "observation" that I think the world revolves around me. I choose to perceive this as an insult, please correct me if I am mistaken as to your intention.

In the same vein, I "observe" your reluctance to accept that a 3/day move challenge entitles your opponent to take 3 days per move. Perhaps its simply YOUR opponents who shouldnt take th ...[text shortened]... if you are - if only beacuase I am curious as to the translation of res ipsa loquiter.
Okay. The mud shall cease to be thrown. I think we should agree to disagree. I don't think we can change each other's opinion on this. As for 'res ipsa loquiter', I think someone just answered that one in a post above.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by cashthetrash
Why? It is part of the rules isn't it?
It's rude. It's like saying *Hey, I'll play anybody! Oh, wait. Anybody but you.* It's also *in the rules* that you can delete a challenge after accepting it, but the point of the thread is that both of these fall under the heading of unsportsmanlike conduct.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
17 Jul 06

PS "Boohoo you little crybaby?" Grow up.
you think you're the only one whose invites get deleted sometimes? everybody gets it occasionally. you've played a whopping 12 games so far, and are already starting threads to cry about a meaningless thing of sending a new open invite, which takes less than 10 seconds to do. please.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by reader1107
It's rude. It's like saying *Hey, I'll play anybody! Oh, wait. Anybody but you.* It's also *in the rules* that you can delete a challenge after accepting it, but the point of the thread is that both of these fall under the heading of unsportsmanlike conduct.
Then again what happens if someone issues you with a challenge, you make a move and then realise that you do not want to play the person or the time control they have. Someone once started a 21/28 day game with me which I soon deleted - far too big a timescale for me, but taht is my choice.

Is it unsportsmanlike to delete the game or was it unsportsmanlike of the person to initiate a game without messaging you first?

I think the right to delete games must remain as it is, otherwise unless you have set up your ratings limits and time controls, you could get all sorts of crap challenges from any Tom Dick or Harry at any rating and you have to accept the game.

If people delete your games, just add them to your this guy pissed me off list and move on.

Life is too short and it take seconds to initiate a few games.

I'd say the thread originator will already have been added to a few this guy pisses me off lists.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Jul 06

Self explanatory.
[b]challenes

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by adramforall
Then again what happens if someone issues you with a challenge, you make a move and then realise that you do not want to play the person or the time control they have. Someone once started a 21/28 day game with me which I soon deleted - far too big a timescale for me, but taht is my choice.

Is it unsportsmanlike to delete the game or was it unsports ...[text shortened]... e thread originator will already have been added to a few [b]this guy pisses me off
lists.[/b]
I've challenged people who prefered a different time frame. In that case they've deleted the game and sent another in a time frame that suited them better. I have no problem with that. I rarely initiate challenges anyway, so it's usually playing someone I've played before. Like you, I wouldn't want to play a 21/28 game but I think I'd message the person and tell them I was deleting it due to the time frame.

Before I was on the forums, it never occured to me that people wanted to be pm'd first before a game was initiated. That might be a nice thing for them to put in the FAQs, that many people have that preference. I might mention that on site ideas.