Pub Quiz 2

Pub Quiz 2

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a book!

Moves
15 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
ANSWERS

1. 1814
Napoleon Bonaparte abdicated in 1814 prior to his exile to Elba.
(Although he "abdicated" again a few days after Waterloo it is debatable it is
valid because he was never officially recognised as Emperor - indeed the
people and provisional government turned against him prior to his abdication -
nevertheless, 1815 was not an option so the only answer was 1814.)
I protest. Napoleon abdicated twice, in 1814 and in 1815. The final year, after a brief return to power, included Waterloo.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Aug 20

@handyandy said
I protest. Napoleon abdicated twice, in 1814 and in 1815. The final year, after a brief return to power, included Waterloo.
That's what I said.
The dispute is whether the "glorious 100 days" was really a full return to power.
I avoided controversy by not giving 1815 as possible answer.

Thanks for playing.

Moves
15 Aug 20
1 edit

@suzianne said
He abdicated once and was exiled once.

If we could have Trump exiled after eight, I might be more amenable to him winning a second term.
He abdicated twice and was exiled twice actually.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
ANSWERS

1. 1814
Napoleon Bonaparte abdicated in 1814 prior to his exile to Elba.
(Although he "abdicated" again a few days after Waterloo it is debatable it is
valid because he was never officially recognised as Emperor - indeed the
people and provisional government turned against him prior to his abdication -
nevertheless, 1815 was not a ...[text shortened]... a of the order of historical events but I'm not good with dates.
I can remember nice round numbers!
Capital punishment was abolished in in the uk 1969

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Kingdom

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20
1 edit

@wolfgang59 said
Nobody got 4/4 so you're joint top!
I got all four correct 🙂

(Admittedly by some guesswork)

Moves
15 Aug 20

@divegeester said
Capital punishment was abolished in in the uk 1969

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Kingdom
Look into it a bit more without the ever disputed Wiki and you’ll find that it was‘t technically abolished until 1998.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20
1 edit

@trev33 said
Look into it a bit more without the ever disputed Wiki and you’ll find that it was‘t technically abolished until 1998.
Yes. I’m aware of that. Technically Napoleon abdicated twice but the widely accepted date is 1814 due to chronology and political impact etc.

Similarly the widely accepted date for the abolition of capital punishment in the UK is 1969 which is when the legislature finally passed the bill from a few years previous. It’s common historical knowledge, the “technicality” accepting.

Moves
15 Aug 20

@divegeester said
Yes. I’m aware of that. Technically Napoleon abdicated twice but the widely accepted date is 1814 due to chronology and political impact etc.

Similarly the widely accepted date for the abolition of capital punishment in the UK is 1969 which is when the legislature finally passed the bill from a few years previous. It’s common historical knowledge, the “technicality” accepting.
Well, there’s ‘wildly accepted’ and then there’s truth. In your wildly accepted world N. Ireland wouldn’t be part of the UK as it abolished capital punishment in 1973, so whatever way you want to look at it your ‘wildly accepted’ 1969 is just plain inaccurate.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20

@trev33 said
Well, there’s ‘wildly accepted’ and then there’s truth. In your wildly accepted world N. Ireland wouldn’t be part of the UK as it abolished capital punishment in 1973, so whatever way you want to look at it your ‘wildly accepted’ 1969 is just plain inaccurate.
There’s no need to get snippy about it Trev. Its just a quiz.

Moves
15 Aug 20

@divegeester said
There’s no need to get snippy about it Trev. Its just a quiz.
Take your own advise and we don’t get into a discussion.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20

@trev33 said
Take your own advise and we don’t get into a discussion.
This is not really a “discussion” though is it, it’s just you getting upset with me over nothing as usual.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20

@trev33 said
It’s not inaccurate, the abolishment of the death penalty for the UK was 1969 and 1973 for NI.

Wiki is an generally accepted authority which you yourself have used on many occasions I seem to remember. You know, when it suits you.

You can find a few counter references to show me if you like. I might change my mind 🙂

Moves
15 Aug 20
1 edit

@divegeester said
It’s not inaccurate, the abolishment of the death penalty for the UK was 1969 and 1973 for NI.

Wiki is an generally accepted authority which you yourself have used on many occasions I seem to remember. You know, when it suits you.

You can find a few counter references to show me if you like. I might change my mind 🙂
Even in wiki it states it wasn’t fully abolished until 1998, an unused law is still a law however you want to look at it. NI is part of the UK as you know well, can’t say the UK abolished a law when NI hasn’t.

Edit: https://www.deathpenaltyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/DPP-50-Years-on-pp1-68-1.pdf

😉

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 Aug 20

@trev33 said
Even in wiki it states it wasn’t fully abolished until 1998, an unused law is still a law however you want to look at it. NI is part of the UK as you know well, can’t say the UK abolished a law when NI hasn’t.

Edit: https://www.deathpenaltyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/DPP-50-Years-on-pp1-68-1.pdf

😉
As a neutral observer, Trev wins this discussion.

😲

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
As a neutral observer, Trev wins this discussion.
“Neutral” 🤣