It's 9 in morning!
    Breakfast of the champions.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 11:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do people you smoke dope with tolerate you saying pointlessly grotesque and poisonous things like some of the stuff you say on this message board or do you take care in those situations to surround yourself with people who think you are funny?
    I smoke alone. I have no friends and nobody thinks I'm funny.

Does that knowledge make you happy? Accomplished that the
    stereotype you have formed of me is correct?

I also have AIDS. Bad, bad AIDS.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 11:05
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Off the record, last time I smoked pot was in 1999.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 11:201 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    And you use this as an excuse for so often being as joylessly nasty as possible on a message board like this?

Does that knowledge make you happy? Accomplished that the stereotype you have formed of me is correct?

I was not referring to a stereotype of any kind. I am simply responding to your persona/posting as it so often acquits itself here.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 11:34
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I smoke alone. I have no friends and nobody thinks I'm funny.

Does that knowledge make you happy? Accomplished that the
    stereotype you have formed of me is correct?

Please raise the irony or sarcasm flag if you do post in that meaning. Some people will be confused...

[yes I am aware of the fact that it is part of the game}
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:09
    I quit a few times without permanent success. Then I sought medical help because I was really scared that I'd die in my 30s. There was a drug available, called Champix, which helped me stop. There have since been much tighter restrictions on its prescription because it can cause suicidal ideation. I don't think I would have been allowed to take it after these restrictions came into effect. NB there is an earlier drug too: Zyban. I'm not sure about the differences between them. I haven't smoked a cigarette since April 1st 2008 (not an April Fool), nor a cigar or any marijuana (I had already stopped smoking marijuana for some time before that).
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:27
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I quit a few times without permanent success.
    More details please? 🙂
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:28
    I started smoking at 10 but not seriously till about 13. I tried quitting three times over the course of some 26 years. Twice I quit for 2 years then on my third attempt I announced to my work colleagues that here was my last pack, then here was my last cigarette and finally here was my last puff and that was 31 years ago. I did at the beginning replace them with food stuffs and managed to put on about 15 lbs, only about 5 of which I've managed to lose over the years but they were lbs I could afford to gain with not too much worry. As seems, from hearing from successful quitters, the best way is cold turkey. No matter how many people tell you to quit or you kid yourself that you'll quit when they get "too expensive", you and only you make and carry out the final choice to do so. Congrats to all who not only try but are able to kick, what is a very addictive habit.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:35
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I did at the beginning replace them with food stuffs and managed to put on about 15 lbs, only about 5 of which I've managed to lose over the years but they were lbs I could afford to gain with not too much worry.
    I also gained weight after April 1992 (when I stopped for good). What was interesting was that, after June 1991 when I started again after a year or so of going without cigarettes, I lost a lot of weight. I moved to Indonesia in September 1991 and my diet changed and for a few months I walked about 2 km a day. In June of that year (when I went back on the cigarettes) I had a medical and weighed in at 113 kg. When I had a medical in Jakarta in November 1991, I was 89 kg.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    More details please? 🙂
    I remember quitting while on holiday in Spain after passing my GCSEs. That lasted for 3, or possibly 9, months. I also used the Allen Carr book, which I thought had been successful but wasn't. When you read it again after having started smoking again it doesn't really work. There were probably other times but they didn't last long. After using Champix I didn't even have cravings (except maybe a few weak ones years later with).

I'm not a biologist, let alone a geneticist, so I can't back this up with the facts, but from the research I did afterwards I believe going cold turkey is effectively impossible for people whose genes cause them to metabolise nicotine in a certain way (impossible, or very near it). I believe I am one of those people.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:37
    I tried quitting three times over the course of some 26 years.
    Can you identify what went wrong or what the factors behind these failures were?
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Can you identify what went wrong or what the factors behind these failures were?
    Easy peasy..divorces. 🙂

Edit: well two of the three anyway. 😉
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:39
    Easy peasy..divorces. 🙂
    Yep, that will do it.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:40
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Yep, that will do it.
    Familiar?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 12:42
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I'm not a biologist, let alone a geneticist, so I can't back this up with the facts, but from the research I did afterwards I believe going cold turkey is effectively impossible for people whose genes cause them to metabolise nicotine in a certain way (impossible, or very near it). I believe I am one of those people.
    Can you describe what this "impossible" thing felt like? I think the challenge that makes cold turkey 'hurt' so much feels like it is "impossible" at times. I think if one stops and only experiences discomfort, I'm not really sure that it deserves the label 'going cold turkey'. When you say "going cold turkey is effectively impossible for people whose genes cause them to metabolize nicotine in a certain way" do you mean that such drastic action poses an actual threat to these people's health?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree