1. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 12:33
    Originally posted by @torunn
    "The terror" based on a novel by Dan Simmons - have any of you seen it?
    for what it is worth
    I watched it and liked it
    maybe only a one season wonder
    season 2?
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 14:04
    - Closer to Truth (PBS)
    with Robert Lawrence Kuhn

Excellent food for philosophical thought.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 10:20
    Narcos series 3

Just as brilliantly brutal and suffocating as the previous 2 series.

There's going to be a 4th one too.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 10:42
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [b]Game Of Thrones Series 7

Finally got around to finishing having had a false start when I flagged - burned out - midway through episode 2 last year. Yes, episode 1 was a bit slow and unexciting, but the stuff that was then getting set up in episode 2 gave way to an excellent albeit relatively short (7 episode) series that culminated wonderfully and had some par-for-the-course intrigue and juicy violence along the way.[/b]
    HBO is going to start a prequel, taking place thousands of years before the present GOT plotline.

But we have to wait till next year to see the last bits of the present run. I have the whole series on DVD's.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 11:52
    Rillington Place - a three episode British series about serial killer John Christie.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '18 04:53
    Counterpart.

Intriguing, a bit sci-fi, thought-provoking, violent, good screenplay, good performances.

BEWARE: You need to concentrate when watching this. The central plot device renders this very confusing if you opt for letting it wash over you like you might with many another spy movie.

I'd say it's a worthy addition to a list of recent TV that includes:

Berlin Station and Homeland and The Americans.

A second series has been commissioned.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Jul '18 17:59
    War & Peace (2016)
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '18 21:42
    Dark
    Altered Carbon
    Stranger things
    Ozark
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 13:42
    Originally posted by @trev33
    Dark
    Altered Carbon
    Stranger things
    Ozark
    Altered Carbon was fascinating. Doesn't seem much room for another season though.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 00:11
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Altered Carbon was fascinating. Doesn't seem much room for another season though.
    Without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't but possibly might watch it... I'm sure they could think of a second series but I'm not sure if they should, some things are better left unspoiled. Like the matrix, because the next two movies were so bad compared to the first no one remembers the first for as good as it was. Dark is another on that list, for sure worth a watch.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 02:26
    SS-GB

Two out of five episodes watched. Good stuff.

"In this alternative world, it is November 1941, nine months after a successful German invasion of Britain. Winston Churchill has been executed, and King George is a prisoner who has not been seen in public for some time. His wife and daughters Elizabeth and Margaret escaped. A British government in exile led by Vice-Admiral Conolly exists but is not recognised by the US. Nazi Germany has also maintained friendly relations with the Soviet Union, and Soviet Foreign Minister Molotov has just flown in to oversee the removal of the body of Karl Marx to the Soviet Union." wiki

Based on the 1978 novel of the same name by Len Deighton.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 04:361 edit
    I'm liking Elementary, which is an American procedural drama series that presents a contemporary update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character Sherlock Holmes. The series was created by Robert Doherty and stars Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Dr. Joan Watson. (wikipwdia)

I like that it is a detective/police procedural hybrid that does not rely on explosions and chase/fight scenes for excitement and has not, so far, I believe, had a Christmas-oriented or otherwise sappy/sweet episode to make the characters lovable caricatures.They do skirt the edges of human nature a bit but I like that. I learned tonight what "findom" is. Not femdom; similar findom.

The main cast is well selected for the somewhat brainy atmosphere. You can see them stopping to think and confer, and it's not just exposition to move the story along. It goes at the proper pace. Sometimes they collapse the apprehension scene (to avoid a chase/fight scene,I guess) when the crime has been figured out, but I can live with that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree