1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 07:25
    I didn't want to post this in debates; please don't ask for it to be moved.

From the moment I first heard about the Russian airline going down I just 'knew' it was a terrorist attack and I'm not surprised that it's looking like a bomb. I've been through Sharm airport as a tourist (diving holidays, hence 'dive'geester) about 15 times in the last ten years and every time it has been a shambles of poor security and passenger and luggage processing. Furthermore the Sinai is a mountainous desert which has always been a risky place to venture outside of the major tourist areas; why on earth flights are permitted to route over it, instead of going around, is beyond my understanding.

It's obviously terrible for the families of those lost in the disaster, but also sad for Egypt and Sharm itself. I'm happy to have had so many wonderful holidays there over the years and feel a loss that I will probably never dive in those fabulous waters again.

Anybody else have memories of Sharm?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 08:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No I don't, but I'd like to echo your sentiments. If it is, as we suspect, an instance of terrorism, then it's hard to understand how anyone could resort to a political act that demonstrates such a bewildering lack of humanity. My thoughts go out to all those victims and their families and to the Egyptians who make their living and sustain their families in the resort and elsewhere in Egypt.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 12:37
    "Anybody else have memories of Sharm?"

Yes, though indirectly (a colleague reported that security was very lax). I wouldn't be surprised if a bomb had been smuggled aboard from that airport.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 14:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 21:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I holidayed in Cyprus in 2014 and felt very safe, however when you look at a map and realise the somewhat surprising proximity to Syria it does make you wonder. However there is a fairly visible military presence in Cyprus which will probably be a deterrent to any mentalists. I visited Saudi a couple of years ago and absolutely hated the place; I was euphoric to get back into Dubai with a large G&T!
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 22:25
    I didn't want to post this in debates; please don't ask for it to be moved.

From the moment I first heard about the Russian airline going down I just 'knew' it was a terrorist attack and I'm not surprised that it's looking like a bomb. I've been through Sharm airport as a tourist (diving holidays, hence 'dive'geester) about 15 times in the last ten y ...[text shortened]... ill probably never dive in those fabulous waters again.

I am moved to tears at your loss.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 04:18
    Good riddance.
  8. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 06:04
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Good riddance.
    Lovely. I can see why you are so admired on here. Such a kind, warm and caring spirit.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 06:211 edit
    How absolutely ignorant of you.

Travel is the absolute best way to spend money. That's why.

New people, beautiful places.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 09:20
    I agree! there is nothing like hill walking and coming off the mountain, kicking your hiking boots off at the Kings house Inn, warming yourself beside a large open fire and ordering some fine English bitter followed by a single malt whisky listening to the sound of the fiddle playing some Celtic aire with ones arm around the ones we love! You can keep all that other jive.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 09:252 edits
    I holidayed in Cyprus in 2014 and felt very safe, however when you look at a map and realise the somewhat surprising proximity to Syria it does make you wonder. However there is a fairly visible military presence in Cyprus which will probably be a deterrent to any mentalists. I visited Saudi a couple of years ago and absolutely hated the place; I was euphoric to get back into Dubai with a large G&T!
    You drink Gin and tonic? How flowery.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 09:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You drink Gin and tonic? How flowery.
    Have you ever been to Sharm el sheik?
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 10:253 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 11:16
    Wow, what an astounding level of ignorance.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 11:32
    Originally posted by Kegge
    Wow, what an astounding level of ignorance.
    Which part and why?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree