1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 04:551 edit
    I often hear this "I never go to revival gigs, it's so sad and pathetic, it's only for money and even if it wasn't for money, they should have kept the memory of themselves as young and pretty..."

I think it's cr.ap and bul.l.sheeting.

First, such reunions are only chance for me to see those buggers before they die.
    Second, who has right to stop them feeling young?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 05:14
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I often hear this "I never go to revival gigs, it's so sad and pathetic, it's only for money and even if it wasn't for money, they should have kept the memory of themselves as young and pretty..."

First, such reunions are only chance for me to see those buggers before they die.
    All such bands ever did was provide entertainment, so if they can still provide that, and there are still people who are willing to be entertained, I can't see anything wrong it. Furthermore, I don't really see how - say - a sprightly Mick Jagger prancing about at 72 years of age, to backing music that a hundred thousand bar bands can probably play better, actually affects - detracts from - alters - the prancing about he did 40 years ago, nor does it affect the 'facts of the ground' created all those years ago by albums like Beggars Banquet, Goats Head Soup, or Exile On Main Street.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 05:28
    Are all of Dire Straits still alive? Wouldn't mind hearing them play Sultans of Swing and Money For Nothing.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 05:34
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Are all of Dire Straits still alive? Wouldn't mind hearing them play Sultans of Swing and Money For Nothing.
    I don't think Mark is likely to appear on stage with his brother David again, unless they've made up?
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 05:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think Mark is likely to appear on stage with his brother David again, unless they've made up?
    I didn't know (a) Mark had a brother in the band (b) that they'd fallen out. I listen to classical mostly and have a selection of 'popular' tracks that I like, which I add to from time to time.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:06
    I didn't know (a) Mark had a brother in the band (b) that they'd fallen out. I listen to classical mostly and have a selection of 'popular' tracks that I like, which I add to from time to time.
    Perhaps I should learn not to stir the Mark v David pot so enthusiastically.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps I should learn not to stir the Mark v David pot so enthusiastically.
    It wasn't a gay love triangle with you at the apex, was it 😲😉
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:30
    It wasn't a gay love triangle with you at the apex, was it 😲😉
    I was in a rhombus once. I think triangles are merely a bit three-sided.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:39
    Originally posted by vandervelde

Are revival bands all that rock music has left going for it? I'm listening to some of today's music at the moment, and the only band I've found that's vaguely decent is Florence & The Machine. There's an almost total dearth of good pop too, and I'm not exactly finding electronica or electronic dance to be a goldmine.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:47
    I'm listening to some of today's music at the moment, and the only band I've found that's vaguely decent is Florence & The Machine. There's an almost total dearth of good pop too, and I'm not exactly finding electronica or electronic dance to be a goldmine.
    If you were willing to download music illegally - delete what you don't like - and then buy what you do like - then you would increase your exposure to new stuff, and consume what you find worth consuming, without it being prohibitively expensive... nor morally sound (i.e. there's be a rebellious rock and roll element to it).
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:51
    It's a bit of a faff to download music illegally. I can hear most new music by sampling it on the iTunes Store or listening through Amazon Prime. Not very rock n roll maybe. But downloading music would be a bit random and I don't want to spend too much time sifting through it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:55
    But downloading music would be a bit random and I don't want to spend too much time sifting through it.
    It probably wouldn't work unless it was a major hobby.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:56
    It's sad but, hey, the sheep will consume what they're told to.

Just picture an AC/DC concert now. If I recall correctly, one of them has
    senile dementia and the other is deaf.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It probably wouldn't work unless it was a major hobby.
    Music is a major hobby, but I'd rather spend time listening to music I already have than spend a lot of time looking for up-to-the-minute hits.

Having said this, I just found this: YouTube : Killers: Human
    Are we human, or are we dancer? Is a lyric (if I heard it right) which I find very appealing.
    2008 is about as up-to-the-minute as I get 😉
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 07:03
    Originally posted by Seitse
    It's sad but, hey, the sheep will consume what they're told to.

Just picture an AC/DC concert now. If I recall correctly, one of them has
    senile dementia and the other is deaf.
    Hmmm. Sheep may safely graze. Unless Seitse is nearby with a flamethrower.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree