1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 07:10
    Originally posted by Seitse
    It's sad but, hey, the sheep will consume what they're told to.

Just picture an AC/DC concert now. If I recall correctly, one of them has
    senile dementia and the other is deaf.
    Less 'Highway to Hell' than 'winding driveway to the nursing home'...
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 08:46
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Hmmm. Sheep may safely graze. Unless Seitse is nearby with a flamethrower.
    I'm a chainsaw type of guy 🙂
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 09:08
    Are revival bands all that rock music has left going for it? I'm listening to some of today's music at the moment, and the only band I've found that's vaguely decent is Florence & The Machine. There's an almost total dearth of good pop too, and I'm not exactly finding electronica or electronic dance to be a goldmine.
    My guess is it's not so much today's music that's the problem, it's that your taste in music is somewhat limited.
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 09:17
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    My guess is it's not so much today's music that's the problem, it's that your taste in music is somewhat limited.
    I don't think so. I have the widest tastes of anyone I know. I just find it hard to listen to music where there is only one idea and it is hardly developed at all. That's what most of the music I've been sampling is like.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 10:00
    I don't think so. I have the widest tastes of anyone I know. I just find it hard to listen to music where there is only one idea and it is hardly developed at all. That's what most of the music I've been sampling is like.
    If you say so 😉
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 10:351 edit
    Case in point: Loaded by Primal Scream. It's a truly brilliant groove, which promises a great listening experience, but then nothing remotely significant is done with it for at least 4 minutes (I couldn't listen any longer). Repeating a single musical phrase ad nauseum with minimal interesting variation is a recipe for boredom in my book.

It's an older track than most of what I was listening to, but I think it illustrates my point.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:04
    Not really getting your point here, to be honest. Yes, that track drags on for 7 minutes with very little variation. While it may be a good track within the context of the album it was on, on its own it's rather bland.

But this is not at all how the majority of music goes. It's just not representative for (new) music at all.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:08
    Here you go, another album for you to enjoy:

YouTube
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:28
    Not really getting your point here, to be honest. Yes, that track drags on for 7 minutes with very little variation. While it may be a good track within the context of the album it was on, on its own it's rather bland.

But this is not at all how the majority of music goes. It's just not representative for (new) music at all.
    Can you recommend some tracks for me? I have to admit that my appreciation of music is far greater than my ability to talk intelligently about it.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:38

[youtube]Wxi4HbG_8V8[/youtube]
    Okay, now listening to POS.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:421 edit
    Ane Brun:

YouTube
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 13:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    All such bands ever did was provide entertainment, so if they can still provide that, and there are still people who are willing to be entertained, I can't see anything wrong it. Furthermore, I don't really see how - say - a sprightly Mick Jagger prancing about at 72 years of age, to backing music that a hundred thousand bar bands can probably play better, actua ...[text shortened]... ed all those years ago by albums like Beggars Banquet, Goats Head Soup, or Exile On Main Street.
    Not to mention the fans themselves aching to re-live their own glory days.
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 13:471 edit

[youtube]Wxi4HbG_8V8[/youtube]
    Ok, I'm going to use some terms which I'm probably not qualified to use and that those who actually study music would probably laugh at, or just blink at uncomprehendingly. They mean something to me (if a bit nebulous) in this context, and I'll try to clarify them as I go along.

Liked:

The musicians possess technical ability. Their rhythms are tight and the lead/solo instrumental parts are cleanly picked out.
    They covered different genres, albeit staying within their overall sound world (I heard jazz, folk, blues, rock and lots of heavy metal (the last of these seemed to be their musical home). Apologies if I have incorrectly named it.

Disliked:

Thin vocals and thin overall sound. It felt to me that there was very little 'body' to the sound. What do I mean by 'body'? I have no idea how to explain it in terms of sound — maybe brass instruments or piano playing chords with some reverberation and just a richer, more rounded tone in general.
    I didn't care for the singer's delivery at all. For me it made it virtually impossible to decipher the words, and ensured that I didn't want to put myself to the trouble of straining my ears by doing so.
    Above all, I felt there is a very limited 'harmonic palette'. That may turn out to be a nonsensical made up term, but it basically comes down to that 'heavy metal' sound to me. Within that there is a lot of variation, but to me this sound world sounds like anti-music (I.e. Instead of activating the pleasure centres in the brain that I believe naturally respond to certain harmonies, chord progressions and melodic patterns, it seems to hit nothing emotionally satisfying or pleasurable, rather the opposite).

Overall, I was interested to hear the music, at least for the first 10-15 minutes, but I derived no pleasure from it in the sense that I usually find pleasure in music I like listening to, of whatever genre. The limited 'pleasure' was just observing the patterns and occasionally hearing 'echoes' of more preferred music in the different genres. It was a cold, unsettling pleasure of calculation. I probably listened to 30-35 minutes before turning it off.

I know what it's like to hear someone who doesn't appreciate the music you love rip into it from a position of ignorance or at least indifference, but I'm sure my obvious floundering about with music criticism will ameliorate any sense of injury you feel. 🙂 Thanks for the recommendation.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 13:561 edit
    Ane Brun:

[youtube]68sV2Eu8nsY[/youtube]
    This, I quite like. There's recognisable emotion, a mood that develops a bit throughout the piece, and a richer sound. I got the sense of a story being told and someone I could relate to. I will search out some more of Ms Brun's songs.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 14:11
    The results of this morning's music sampling:
    Bought 7 tracks, 5 rediscovered, 2 new to me.

UNKLE: Rabbit in Your Headlights, Trouble in Paradise, Lonely Soul
    Crash Test Dummies: Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
    Queens of the Stone Age: No One Knows
    The Mamas and the Paps: California Dreamin'
    The Killers: Human

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree