German is different, ein-und-zwanzig=twenty one
    The "und" is sometimes shortened to a short "a" einazwanzig
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 18:362 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The "und" is sometimes shortened to a short "a" ein[b]azwanzig[/b]
    In Swedish 21 is 'tjugoen' or 'tjugoett'.

I tried to google which is correct and when but I think you use it the way you want.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 18:39
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The "und" is sometimes shortened to a short "a" ein[b]azwanzig[/b]
    I learned German back in the stone age, just in case the Allies lost the war. 😉
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 18:44
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I learned German back in the stone age, just in case the Allies lost the war. 😉
    You were quite correct I only refferd to newer developments in modern spoken German. You have write (still) Einundzwanzig. 😉
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 22:27
    The US habit of dropping the "and" from three-hundred-and-four just annoys me. If you're going to start leaving bits out, you have to do it properly and say three-zero-four, not just that half-baked attempt. And while you're at it, fix up that stupid date which goes middle-smallest-largest instead of a logical progression in one direction or another (don't care which).
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    RHP General Forum Conversation

"Sole purpose of this thread: to disprove my already posted view to Ponderable (in the "jimslyp forum killing champion" thread) that, "... the cause of this forum's gradual decline is disinterest in conversation". If you will commit to helping 'our conversation' achieve one hundred plus (100+) posts by August 31, 2013, please sign here: 1) Grampy Bobby; 2) _____;

So, has anyone had any exceptionally exciting things or life changing events happen lately? I'm finally back to feeling well." (OP, August 5, 2013)

Halfway home in five days with twenty and one days still to go. (sorry, K) lol
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 00:34
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The US habit of dropping the "and" from three-hundred-and-four just annoys me. If you're going to start leaving bits out, you have to do it properly and say three-zero-four, not just that half-baked attempt. And while you're at it, fix up that stupid date which goes middle-smallest-largest instead of a logical progression in one direction or another (don't care which).
    http://www.englishforums.com/English/UsingAndInNumbers/crgxn/post.htm
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 00:36
    The only people in the US that use and in numbers, more than likely use it to clarify their space number in the trailer court. 😛
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 01:44
    The only people in the US that use and in numbers, more than likely use it to clarify their space number in the trailer court. 😛
    Not quite true, according to your own link. They say it's used in the NewYork-Boston region.

However, for the purposes of international computer speak:
    English is a language.
    English(UK) is that language, as used by the world excluding USA
    English(US) is that language, as used by people inside the USA border. It's a big enough customer base so that's OK, but Americans generally seem not to realise that they're the ones out of step. Also, in these days of people using computers they don't set up properly but leave on the default US settings, their own spelling and grammar checking software may try to force the US version.

It's that "born to rule" thing again. Both UK and US think it's them, but it isn't either, it's a global village now and we go where we choose to go, which for everyone except the US is the UK version.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 05:39
    Not quite true, according to your own link. They say it's used in the NewYork-Boston region.

English is a language.
    English(US) is that language, as used by people inside the USA border. It's a big enough customer base so that's ...[text shortened]... and we go where we choose to go, which for everyone except the US is the UK version.
    Other countries speak English, but the Americans do it bestest. 😛
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 05:41
    Have you ever thought about how poorly the words in the medical field were chosen? For example, a doctor PRACTICES medicine. Practice my eye, I'll wait for a real doctor to do it for real. They TREAT disease. Treat?? Mistreat it and make it leave!! Bacteria is SENSITIVE to an antibiotic. Sensitive?? What does it do then, give the germ a rash?? Then they call us Patients because we patiently wait until 10:45 for a 9:30 appointment. If you come in late though, it totally messes up their whole world.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 06:37
    Have you ever thought about how poorly the words in the medical field were chosen? For example, a doctor PRACTICES medicine. Practice my eye, I'll wait for a real doctor to do it for real. They TREAT disease. Treat?? Mistreat it and make it leave!! Bacteria is SENSITIVE to an antibiotic. Sensitive?? What does it do then, give the germ a rash?? Then they ...[text shortened]... :45 for a 9:30 appointment. If you come in late though, it totally messes up their whole world.
    Indeed it's funnier in English than in other languages derived from latin...

BUt scheduling is a high art seldom mastered by the medical profession. The problem here: They give out same sized slots to everyone, if someone's slot needs to be extended everybody else has to wait.

I had a dentsit where I lived before who kept slots free to accomodate for this. I don't think he made a worse business but the experience was just better.
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 07:28
    Other countries speak English, but the Americans do it bestest. 😛
    Americans speak American bestest.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 08:121 edit

English is a language.
    English(US) is that language, as used by people inside the USA border. It's a big enough customer base so that's and we go where we choose to go, which for everyone except the US is the UK version.
    Absence of a Royal Family (with public ceremony and time honoured formalities) and an affectation for mimicking genuine regionalisms may contribute to an explanation of The States' Corruption of its Mother Tongue. Urban Slang's a murderer.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '13 11:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Absence of a Royal Family (with public ceremony and time honoured formalities) and an affectation for mimicking genuine regionalisms may contribute to an explanation of The States' Corruption of its Mother Tongue. Urban Slang's a murderer.
    Say what dawg?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree