RHP ~ Generations

RHP ~ Generations

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Outside of RHP we are probably quite different, maybe. I know I am. But within these walls..." divegeester, my friend, there may be some site members who portray personas different from themselves; however, should we ever meet in person you would discover yours truly to be exactly the same as him you knew only more so in the best sense of the ph ...[text shortened]... tions since July, 2007, with people whom you know by their RHP Nicknames attest to this reality.
There is something that has earned the name "online disinhibition effect." In the off-line world, we learn certain motivations to contain our feelings and to temper the way we express them. Some of those motivations are lacking online. For example, we are anonymous, most of us, our reputation is masked by screen names, and we don't work with or share a neighborhood with one another. We don't express ourselves except in writing, which can make for stronger language, and we don't get feedback immediately, or we can ignore it. Also, we are free to state our firm political, religious, etc. positions without any real consequence.

I do believe you are much the same person off-line, because you present an even-temperedness online. You take some pretty heavy negativity quite well.

F

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by JS357
There is something that has earned the name "online disinhibition effect." In the off-line world, we learn certain motivations to contain our feelings and to temper the way we express them.
The 'off-line-world inhibition effect' has its drawbacks too.

F

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by divegeester
It's occured to me that I've been here quite a while and in that time posters have come and gone. It's becoming a genrational thing but also some have sadly passed on since 2008 and my enrolment.
Here's a related question. Of all the people you know and have played chess against here, how long ago was the longest ago longness of first having known them long ago and how long ago was it?

In my case it's 1982.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
Here's a related question. Of all the people you know and have played chess against here, how long ago was the longest ago longness of first having known them long ago and how long ago was it?

In my case it's 1982.
I'm pretty sure this site didn't exist in 1982.

F

Moves
11 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'm pretty sure this site didn't exist in 1982.
I've known one of the people I have played chess against here since 1982.

edit: Actually that's not true. There is one I've know since 1971.

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF

In my case it's 1982.
I know very few people here, I just know of the others.

F

Moves
11 Apr 15

I know very few people here, I just know of the others.
I've met about 10 in the "offline-world".

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
I've met about 10 in the "offline-world".
Did they find you to be the same FMF as you are here?

F

Moves
11 Apr 15

Did they find you to be the same FMF as you are here?
Of course. 😉

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
Of course. 😉
Of course; my bad. 😀

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Apr 15

Originally posted by JS357
There is something that has earned the name "online disinhibition effect." In the off-line world, we learn certain motivations to contain our feelings and to temper the way we express them. Some of those motivations are lacking online. For example, we are anonymous, most of us, our reputation is masked by screen names, and we don't work with or share a neighbo ...[text shortened]... cause you present an even-temperedness online. You take some pretty heavy negativity quite well.
JS, thanks for your insightful comments on the role the "online disinhibition effect" plays and for your kind words. In the context of the brevity of life on planet earth I choose to give the benefit of doubt, forgive and forget and move on. -Bob