4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 18:16
    @torunn said
    @divegeester
    You start.
    Ok. Firstly what are “online barriers”?

As I see it these barriers are erected as a defence mechanism to the onslaught of online disinhibition generally experienced in forums such as these at RHP; although it has to be said that in perspective to the rest of the internet, this is a good place. I think.

Nevertheless, we are still a community of relative strangers posting in an environment of pseudo-trust and yet frequent breakdown of that trust.

My premise here is that sincerity more than ‘niceness’, sincerity rather than brashness, sincerity as opposed to fakery is what breaks down online barriers.

As I used to have in my profile: The thin veil of genuine fleshly congruence, the essence of sincerity, is that oil which stills the troubled waters of online casuality.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 18:35
    @divegeester said
    Ok. Firstly what are “online barriers”?

As I see it these barriers are erected as a defence mechanism to the onslaught of online disinhibition generally experienced in forums such as these at RHP; although it has to be said that in perspective to the rest of the internet, this is a good place. I think.

Nevertheless, we are still a community of relative strangers po ...[text shortened]... gruence, the essence of sincerity, is that oil which stills the troubled waters of online casuality.
    I expect that most of us speak the truth but maybe not the whole truth. I feel safe knowing that in this particular forum where I participate, there are not so many posters, so even if I am misunderstood, it wouldn't do much harm. Is that being sincere?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:03
    @torunn said
    I expect that most of us speak the truth but maybe not the whole truth. I feel safe knowing that in this particular forum where I participate, there are not so many posters, so even if I am misunderstood, it wouldn't do much harm. Is that being sincere?
    I think its safe to say that you are one of the most sincere posters here.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:27
    @divegeester said
    I agree, indeed she may be on of very few sincere poster on here! Not saying there are not others! 😉

-VR
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:37
    I think there's more of a need for honesty rather than sincerity, or is that just another word for the same thing?

Some posters tend to shroud honesty behind cynicism and negativity. Others focus on one-upmanship or self aggrandizement.
  9. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:441 edit
    @divegeester said
    Shall we discuss?
    Absolutely not. 😉
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:45
    @handyandy said
    I think there's more of a need for honesty rather than sincerity, or is that just another word for the same thing?

Some posters tend to shroud honesty behind cynicism and negativity. Others focus on one-upmanship or self aggrandizement.
    Googling the two words, I came across the following: "...The difference, I think, is that you can be honest without being sincere, but it’ll be harder to be sincere without being honest..."

Is that right? I can't feel the difference myself.
  11. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:46
    @divegeester said
    Whether you like him or not, VR seems to be a sincere poster.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:49
    @torunn said
    Googling the two words, I came across the following: "...The difference, I think, is that you can be honest without being sincere, but it’ll be harder to be sincere without being honest..."

Is that right? I can't feel the difference myself.
    Perhaps. How could you be honest without being sincere?
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:52
    @handyandy said
    Andy we seem to have an issue on our memories of certain events of the past.

Perhaps we should just leave them there rather than dance around in a circle about them getting ourselves no where.

-VR
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 21:551 edit
    @handyandy said
    Sincere to me is meaning to do good, to be genuine, not dishonest. Honest is also genuine but maybe without the element of meaning well. Would that be a possible interpretation?
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Sep '19 22:03
    @torunn said
    Sincere to me is meaning to do good, to be genuine, not dishonest. Honest is also genuine but maybe without the element of meaning well. Would that be a possible interpretation?
    Yes, I like it. Maybe both are important on an Internet forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree