1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 07:351 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There you go again.
    No, there you go again. It was perfectly reasonable to ask GB for a sleep tip, since he hadn't offered one, only a platitude. This isn't a fight thread.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 07:47
    There you go again.
    Have you got any get-to-sleep tips to offer?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 07:54
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The old pen and paper trick (write down what you need to think about the next day) also works, because then the mind will stop bothering itself about stuff which might be forgotten overnight.
    Hot chocolate or hot milk have never seemed to work for me although hot chocolate often has the desired effect on my older son.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 08:17
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    No, there [b]you go again. It was perfectly reasonable to ask GB for a sleep tip, since he hadn't offered one, only a platitude. This isn't a fight thread.[/b]
    Tell that to FMF then. The things he said to GB are considered "fighting words" to many. Just like most of what he "passive-aggressively" spins out to those he doesn't like.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 08:252 edits
    Tell that to FMF then. The things he said to GB are considered "fighting words" to many. Just like most of what he "passive-aggressively" spins out to those he doesn't like.
    To have offered a "tip" that does not withstand even a moments' scrutiny and sounds very similar to swipes already used on previous occasions, suggests to me that the poster had a different agenda.

Anyway. Here's another one of my tips.

Being near the equator, I have no carpets in my house ~ just white tiles throughout, except for one room upstairs which has parquet flooring [is that what little planks of wood are called?].

Unlike in Perth, where I used to live, where it got up to 45 degrees C ~ but was arid, meaning the floors and walls became hot to the touch ~ the mugginess of the climate here where I am now means 34 degree C feels really hot, the same humidity that makes it so is the reason why the walls and tiled floor remain relatively cool.

If it's a hot and close night, and I can't sleep, I just lie on the tiles ~ with my back bare - and use a folded up towel as a pillow. I soon fall asleep. I have woken up in the morning 'after a night on the tiles' many a time, although the humidity normally goes down by 4 am or 5 am and if I realize and wake up, I crawl back into bed.

Do you have a "get to sleep" tip to contribute to this thread, Suzianne.
  6. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 08:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
    i just read some of your lame posts then it's easy to sleep

😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:11
    Certain kinds of music on headphones can send me to sleep ~ if I am tired but I'm finding it hard to nod off ~ but then, having the headphones on is awkward and can wake me up.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:19
    There you go again.
    Do you ever have trouble sleeping Suzianne?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Never and I dream frequently though never any nightmares.
    A perfectly clear conscience, perfect dreamy sleep every night and never have any nightmares. You truly are blessed.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:23
    Do you never have trouble sleeping?
    Something fatal for me ~ in terms of the threat that it poses to the hope of a good night's sleep ~ is where I let myself fall asleep a bit to early - say 9 pm or 10 pm - and then wake up or get woken up at something like midnight or 1 am. When this happens, I always find it difficult to get back to sleep, even if I am dog tired. I don't let it happen often though.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:23
    I often have trouble sleeping and occasionally have nightmares, although dreams of any sort rarely wake me. My challenge is work issues crowding my mind, which I suspect is true for my people.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:24
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
    If unable to eradicate the "insomnia monster" on your own, seek professional help [to diagnose the causative biological, medical, psychiatric factors and/or food, beverage or other consumption habits causing the sleep deprivation rather than attempting to normalize sleep patterns at the symptom level].
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:25
    Half a sleeping tablet every night works for me. It gives the same signal to the brain every time - sleep! And I sleep, for 7-8 hours, without having to worry about it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:32
    A perfectly clear conscience, perfect dreamy sleep every night and never have any nightmares. You truly are blessed.
    I have found that eating cheese just before going to bed increases the chance of having nightmares - or at least disconcertingly vivid and turbulent dreams. Smoking cannabis ~ I read about this in a book once; it was a friend's book; it wasn't my book; I don't have ANY books that mention cannabis ~ often leads to really boring dreams. I also find that if I've spent too much of the day working on a spreadsheet, I have fantastically frustrating repetitive dreams about broken formulas and text in the wrong cells that disturb my sleep.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:37
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    If unable to eradicate the "insomnia monster" on your own, seek professional help [to diagnose the causative biological, medical, psychiatric factors and/or food, beverage or other consumption habits causing the sleep deprivation rather than attempting to normalize sleep patterns at the symptom level].
    Or I'll work on cleaning conscience up a bit... 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree