1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:30
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    We listen to music from a cd player with loudspeakers with the volume at a very low setting.
    The choice of music is not important as long as you like it and there are no sudden louder parts.We have tried different styles ranging from jazz to J.J Cale.
    When I was at university I used to crash out very often to Frank Zappa's "Yo Mama" which has an incredible could-only-be-him guitar solo. I don't think I ever heard the end of it [10 minutes long?] whenever I listened to it in those circumstances and for that purpose.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:571 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I was at university I used to crash out very often to Frank Zappa's "Yo Mama" which has an incredible could-only-be-him guitar solo. I don't think I ever heard the end of it [10 minutes long?] whenever I listened to it in those circumstances and for that purpose.
    Never heard it (will try googling it). In the meantime was it boring/soothing what?

Edit: OK I listened to it and fell asleep at about 1:38 then woke up at 10:38 when the lyrics kicked in again.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:051 edit
    "Insomnia is a variant of Tourette's--the waking brain races, sampling the world after the world has turned away, touching it everywhere, refusing to settle, to join the collective nod. The insomniac brain is a sort of conspiracy theorist as well, believing too much in its own paranoiac importance--as though if it were to blink, then doze, the world might be overrun by some encroaching calamity, which its obsessive musings are somehow fending off.”
    ―Jonathan Lethem, Motherless Brooklyn
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:11
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Never heard it (will try googling it). In the meantime was it boring/soothing what?
    Bits of it sound like he was playing his guitar with cutlery but in a soothing way. I first heard it in 1978 and it had a lot to do with forming my expectations and needs from guitar soloing (as did folks like Robert Fripp ~ I've crashed out to the unique sound of "Frippertronics" many a time ~ Adrian Belew, John Scofield, Jerry Garcia, John McLaughlin...) ... but the gnarly "Yo Mama" and the exquisitely svelte "Watermelon In Easter Hay" are the great Zappa crash out tracks.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:13
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    OK I listened to it and fell asleep at about 1:38 then woke up at 10:38 when the lyrics kicked in again.
    Well. That makes my tip on topic and a top one, road tested and endorsed. Try "Watermelon In Easter Hay" instead. More conventional. That should send you to sleep too.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Live each day with a clear conscience.
    That's the way my dog does it.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:22
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    That's the way my dog does it.
    'Got a home; got a bone; lucky dog, lucky dog.'
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 19:12
    Only God knows.
    Then kindly direct your passive-aggressive little jabs at him and not me. Thank you.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 23:322 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Then kindly direct your passive-aggressive little jabs at him and not me. Thank you.
    Originally posted by divegeester (Page 3)
    "Then of course there is proverbs 4:16, but that probably a little too overt for you". 😉

Reply also on "(Page 3)".....
  10. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 23:47
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
    I've installed a piece of software that alters the tone of colour produced by my monitor.
    The theory is that the blue/white light produced by screens fools your primitive brain into thinking it's midday. Monitors really are very bright and because you're staring straight at them you're getting a big light-hit.

The software alters the hue and softens everything - it's not really noticeable (until you turn it off, then you realise how bright it was unaltered). It changes the tone based on the time of day and your latitude etc. so that late at night it's much less bright and blue and softer and redder.

I'm finding it a bit easier to get to sleep at night.

Also beer helps.
  11. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 01:17
    Originally posted by orangutan
    I've installed a piece of software that alters the tone of colour produced by my monitor.
    ... late at night it's much less bright and blue and softer and redder.

This sounds like something that would help me too. What software is it?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 08:14
    Originally posted by orangutan
    The theory is that the blue/white light produced by screens fools your primitive brain into thinking it's midday. Monitors really are very bright and because you're staring straight at them you're getting a big light-hit.

The software alters the hue and softens ev ...[text shortened]... softer and redder.

Also beer helps.
    I'd been interested to find out more, if you have a link?
    Thanks.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 08:15
    If unable to eradicate the "insomnia monster" on your own, seek professional help [to diagnose the causative biological, medical, psychiatric factors and/or food, beverage or other consumption habits causing the sleep deprivation rather than attempting to normalize sleep patterns at the symptom level].
    Follow your own advice. You need to deal with your issues
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 16:38
    I'd been interested to find out more, if you have a link?
    Thanks.
    https://justgetflux.com/
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 16:39
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    This sounds like something that would help me too. What software is it?
    https://justgetflux.com/

it works...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree