1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    A perfectly clear conscience, perfect dreamy sleep every night and never have any nightmares. You truly are blessed.
    There's a "sleep" relevant passage in the Old Testament Book of Proverbs Chapter 3.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    There's a "sleep" relevant passage in the Old Testament Book of Proverbs Chapter 3.
    On those small number of occasions when you have had difficulty going to sleep ~ I doubt you literally meant that you "never" have ~ what did you do to try to bring it on?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 09:59
    Then of course there is proverbs 4:16, but that probably a little too overt for you. 😉
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 12:16
    I've always felt that if I really need to sleep I will, but on rare occasions I've had to use medication to prevent PTSD-induced nightmares. That seems to have resolved now. There are many facets of insomnia, and different things work for different people, or even the same people on different occasions.

There have been reports that computer screens may not be helpful if used within a couple of hours of bedtime. Tinted glasses are sold to help with this.
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:032 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've always felt that if I really need to sleep I will, but on rare occasions I've had to use medication to prevent PTSD-induced nightmares. That seems to have resolved now. There are many facets of insomnia, and different things work for different people, or even the same people on different occasions.

There have been reports that computer screens may ...[text shortened]... helpful if used within a couple of hours of bedtime. Tinted glasses are sold to help with this.
    Until a couple of years ago, sleep for me was no problem - I feel asleep when I was too tired to stay awake. That changed suddenly for some reason. I was grateful for all advice I could get, tried everything but nothing worked. Since then, half a sleeping tablet is what I need to relax enough to fall asleep, and no doctor has ever tried to make me change that habit. At my age, they assume I know what is best for me and I'm thankful for that.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:271 edit
    Then of course there is proverbs 4:16, but that probably a little too overt for you. 😉
    Proverbs 4:16-17 (New American Standard Bible)

"16 For they cannot sleep unless they do evil;
    And they are robbed of sleep unless they make someone stumble.
    17 For they eat the bread of wickedness
    And drink the wine of violence."

"Geneva Study Bible: For they {f} sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall."

"(f) Meaning that to do evil is more proper and natural to the wicked than to sleep, eat or drink."
    http://biblehub.com/commentaries/proverbs/4-16.htm

Comment: Certainly the sad condition of some members of the human race then and now in 2016.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:30
    Proverbs 4:16-17 (New American Standard Bible)

"16 For they cannot sleep unless they do evil;
    And they are robbed of sleep unless they make someone stumble.
    17 For they eat the bread of wickedness
    And drink the wine of violence."

"Geneva Study Bible: For they {f} sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is tak ...[text shortened]...

Comment: Certainly the sad condition of some members of the human race then and now in 2016.
    Indeed, but fortunately not anyone in this forum eh?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    On those small number of occasions when you have had difficulty going to sleep ~ I doubt you literally meant that you "never" have ~ what did you do to try to bring it on?
    |___Front Desk___| |__Phones__||__ Feeding Trough___||
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''' '' '
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:41
    Indeed, but fortunately not anyone in this forum eh?
    Only God knows.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:41
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
    If you are a male, don't drink liquids and urinate prior to going to bed. This of course applies to men above about 45 years of age. If you are waking up for reasons other than going to the restroom and not falling back to sleep, then try to get a daily routine set up where you go to bed and get up at the same time every day. If you wake up and can do so, just stay in bed and try not to think about important things. In time you may find yourself sleeping all night long. It has helped me a few times.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:55
    |____|____|____|____|____|____|___________________
    |___Front Desk___| |__Phones__||__ Feeding Trough___||
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''' '' '[/b]
    And what did the famous expert on "trolling" Crowley ~ judging by how often you cite him on the matter ~ say about you and your "trolling", Grampy Bobby?Perhaps it slipped your mind. 😉
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 13:59
    I probably don't get enough sleep. I pretty much always get up at about 5.30 regardless of what time I went to bed. Sometimes work is such that there has to be a 7 day a week effort and up to 18 hours work a day. This coincides with solid sleeping [as long as spreadsheets are not involved!] but not necessarily long hours of sleep as the sun rise awakens me even if I didn't get my head down until 1.30 am or 2 am.
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:02
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    If you are a male, don't drink liquids and urinate prior to going to bed. This of course applies to men above about 45 years of age. If you are waking up for reasons other than going to the restroom and not falling back to sleep, then try to get a daily routine set up where you go to bed and get up at the same time every day. If you wake up and can do so, ...[text shortened]... ant things. In time you may find yourself sleeping all night long. It has helped me a few times.
    There are other complications which we may experience as we get older - nothing necessarily wrong but different and we may have to change our attitudes and habits. Many of us feel that some things were easier when we were younger - insomnia can be very distressing and sleep is important.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:02
    Originally posted by lolof
    Until a couple of years ago, sleep for me was no problem - I feel asleep when I was too tired to stay awake. That changed suddenly for some reason. I was grateful for all advice I could get, tried everything but nothing worked. Since then, half a sleeping tablet is what I need to relax enough to fall asleep, and no doctor has ever tried to make me change that habit. At my age, they assume I know what is best for me and I'm thankful for that.
    Think you're one of the lucky ones. Tablets only worked for a short while with me, then had no effect.

I get rest these days, rather than sleep.
  15. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:10
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
    We listen to music from a cd player with loudspeakers with the volume at a very low setting.
    The choice of music is not important as long as you like it and there are no sudden louder parts.We have tried different styles ranging from jazz to J.J Cale.
    We found that it works better if we don't change the cd very often.
    Since the end of December 2014 -after a holiday in Australia- we have been listening to a cd called 'Songs from Dreamtime´' - Australian Aboriginal music with singing and didgeridoos.
    We are always asleep before the music stops.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree