1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 18:25
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Like my right ankle, in a roundhouse? Be my pleasure.
    You're a regular Chuck Norris. You're not all hairy like Chuck are you? I've never liked hairy men. Big hairy sweat mats, yuck!
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 18:29
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    You're a foolish, foolish man and speak of things you know nothing about. I hope this is a result of leading a blessed life, but, suspect that you're just blind and shallow.
    You can always count on the weak and confused: #1. To attempt to borrow strength from the strong by engaging them at the gutter level.

and #2. To employ various personal attacks, especially threats of rejection, in clumsy attempts to neutralize and gain control of the strong.

You do not possess either the capacity or ability to mildly irritate, much less insult me, because I've haven't given you the power to do so.
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 18:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    You can always count on the weak and confused: #1. To attempt to borrow strength from the strong by engaging them at the gutter level.

and #2. To employ various personal attacks, especially threats of rejection, in clumsy attempts to neutralize and gain control of the strong.

You do not possess either the capacity or ability to mildly irritate, much less insult me, because I've haven't given you the power to do so.
    There's no power struggle here. I just speak my mind. You know nothing of suicide or of courage if you can speak so casually of this topic.

I call you a fool not to insult you, but, because your oblivious nature lends itself to foolishness and foolish statements. You lack empathy, compassion and understanding. You're blind to this of course. Insulated by your absolute conviction that you know the truth of things.
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 18:48
    #2. To employ various personal attacks, especially threats of rejection, in clumsy attempts to neutralize and gain control of the strong.
    Suicide is an insult to your family, friends, community and the entire human race. Only the deranged mind of a coward would consider it.

Please explain how this is not an example of the sweeping generalizations and personal attacks you claim to be so opposed to.

You, despite all your preachiness and folksy platitudes, can be so devoid of compassion and empathy that it's chilling.
  5. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:09
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Suicide is an insult to your family, friends, community and the entire human race. Only the deranged mind of a coward would consider it.

Please explain how this is not an example of the sweeping generalizations and personal attacks you claim to be so opposed to.

You, despite all your preachiness and folksy platitudes, can be so devoid of compassion and empathy that it's chilling.
    Word. I was going to tell GB a suicide anecdote involving one of the least cowardly people I've ever met, but it's probably better to just point out what a folkloric platituditpus misanthropicus he is and leave it there.
  6. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:151 edit
    Have you ever felt so hopelessly alone that the pain of it made you want to claw away at your own skin? So completely lost that all you see is darkness? So dead inside that no matter how hard you try you cannot will yourself to care? Did it ever seem to you like you are screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street but no one even spares you a glance? That life has torn from your hands any last shred of hope you might have had? So overwhelmed by grief it made you physically ill? If you can honestly tell me that you have been so blinded by the pain of it all that you were unable to form a coherent thought, and not seriously considered ending your life even for a moment, then, and only then, can you judge those of us that do.
  7. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:25
    I'm sure he'd be happy to give you something else to swallow chump.
    No need to broach the subject Hand off Hectic.
  8. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:273 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Like my right ankle, in a roundhouse? Be my pleasure.
    Sorry I don't hit people while they're on the floor.
    Finish your game of twister first. I'll be waiting.

You did a naughty thing likemom.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:42
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Have you ever felt so hopelessly alone that the pain of it made you want to claw away at your own skin? So completely lost that all you see is darkness? So dead inside that no matter how hard you try you cannot will yourself to care? Did it ever seem to you like you are screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street but no one even spares you a glanc ...[text shortened]... ered ending your life even for a moment, then, and only then, can you judge those of us that do.
    nicely said
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:48
    Have you ever felt so hopelessly alone that the pain of it made you want to claw away at your own skin? So completely lost that all you see is darkness? So dead inside that no matter how hard you try you cannot will yourself to care? Did it ever seem to you like you are screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street but no one even spares you a glanc ...[text shortened]... ered ending your life even for a moment, then, and only then, can you judge those of us that do.
    I can almost hear the violins playing.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:49
    I agree with Bobby, in a way.

People who commit suicide because they're depressed are the ultimate quitters and will get little understanding from me.
  12. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:52
    Indeed. There are stories of a practice among sailors who, having fallen from their vessels, beyond hope of rescue, swallow water to speed their own deaths because of the blatant, in-your-face type agony of drowning slowly/dying of exposure/being eaten by sharks. I don't think anyone faults these sailors for this.

There exists psychic agony which is every bit as blatant and in-your-face and hopeless as drowning and dismemberment. To fault people in this sort of psychic agony for committing suicide is equivalent to criticising the sailor who swallows the sea. Either Bobby is aware that people suffer -- urgently, as though drowning -- from this sort of thing, in which case his comment betrays a lack of compassion, or he has failed to imagine that such a thing might exist, in which case he is lacking imagination, in particular empathy.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    There exists psychic agony which is every bit as blatant and in-your-face and hopeless as drowning and dismemberment.
    Shall I take your word for this?

Besides, the difference between suicide due to depression and eutanasia (in any of it's forms) is very clear to me and it doesn't depend on the degree of 'pain', but on the degree of (near) inevitability.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 19:58
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I agree with Bobby, in a way.

People who commit suicide because they're depressed are the ultimate quitters and will get little understanding from me.
    You're fortunate then... perhaps not... some things man should have to tolerate. What would cause you to want to check out?
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:00
    You're fortunate then... perhaps not... some things man should have to tolerate. What would cause you to want to check out?
    Painful terminal disease would be the most likely one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree