1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:06
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Painful terminal disease would be the most likely one.
    I'd agree with that. Are you any less of a man for it? Are you a coward for it? I think not.

We are seldom in a position to understand the pain of others. Such things can be a little itch that never sleeps. Scratching it with a 9mm hollow point may seem excessive, but, we're not the ones dealing with the itch.
  2. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:06
    Shall I take your word for this?

Besides, the difference between suicide due to depression and eutanasia (in any of it's forms) is very clear to me and it doesn't depend on the degree of 'pain', but on the degree of (near) inevitability.
    It's not my word; I haven't experienced pyschic pain of that magnitude.

Have you ever heard your neighbour scream without rest for hours, night after night due to causes of pain and fear which are completely endogenous, as far as you are able to tell from the things that that neighbour mentions during the day?
  3. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:10
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Indeed. There are stories of a practice among sailors who, having fallen from their vessels, beyond hope of rescue, swallow water to speed their own deaths because of the blatant, in-your-face type agony of drowning slowly/dying of exposure/being eaten by sharks. I don't think anyone faults these sailors for this.

There exists psychic agony which i ...[text shortened]... that such a thing might exist, in which case he is lacking imagination, in particular empathy.
    Perhaps it is hard fully comprehend if one does not experience it for oneself?

I envy those who have the leisure not to feel, or even be able to imagine anything worse than physical pain and death.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:10
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Suicide is an insult to your family, friends, community and the entire human race. Only the deranged mind of a coward would consider it.

Please explain how this is not an example of the sweeping generalizations and personal attacks you claim to be so opposed to.

You, despite all your preachiness and folksy platitudes, can be so devoid of compassion and empathy that it's chilling.
    Mimor, statements of harsh principle will always be rejected by those accustomed to warm fuzzies and semi solid food served lukewarm.
  5. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:131 edit
    Suicide is one of the options that makes life bearable.

edit. and having met you lot I'm starting to wonder if they should make dispensers.
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:141 edit
    Mimor, statements of harsh principle will always be rejected by those accustomed to warm fuzzies and semi solid food served lukewarm.
    "Harsh principle" is a dish best served defensible. Otherwise it is mere pugnacious asshattery.

Isn't there a harsh principle about judging not lest you be judged?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:15
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Have you ever felt so hopelessly alone that the pain of it made you want to claw away at your own skin? So completely lost that all you see is darkness? So dead inside that no matter how hard you try you cannot will yourself to care? Did it ever seem to you like you are screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street but no one even spares you a glanc ...[text shortened]... ered ending your life even for a moment, then, and only then, can you judge those of us that do.
    You describe Job of the OT with great accuracy. Camus wrote of "falling upward". Suffering is often a beneficial crossroads opportunity.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:191 edit
    It's not my word; I haven't experienced pyschic pain of that magnitude.

Have you ever heard your neighbour scream without rest for hours, night after night due to causes of pain and fear which are completely endogenous, as far as you are able to tell from the things that that neighbour mentions during the day?
    What was your neighbour doing to change the things that he said were happening to him?

I've had people close to me commit suicide (both family and friends). Maybe GB has too. This "Have you ever..." comments are just lazy arguments. That people think differently from you doesn't mean they're ignorant or haven't thought about this properly.

I don't go around calling them all "cowards" like GB did, but I cannot think of a possible situation where I would understand the decision of committing suicide because of depression. I can understand that the psychological condition is conducive to making such a choice, but that doesn't make it a good choice in my view.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:20
    I agree with Bobby, in a way.

People who commit suicide because they're depressed are the ultimate quitters and will get little understanding from me.
    Underscoring all of this is the simple fact that the truth is often unpleasant. We're all reluctant to accept it from doctors, lawyers, friends, etc.
  10. DISCO!
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:211 edit
    I bet you're great at a party.

Edit: missed an "'re" and didn't want to offend you.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:23
    "Harsh principle" is a dish best served defensible. Otherwise it is mere pugnacious asshattery.

Isn't there a harsh principle about judging not lest you be judged?
    Yes, judging other people. That prohibition has nothing to do with an impersonal though lively give and take about a serious subject.
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:25
    Originally posted by Woodgie
    I bet your great at a party.
    Still decline more invites than I accept. Thanks for being part of this interesting chat, Woodgie.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:28
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Distinction with a difference between 'judging' (looking down your nose, attacking, putting others down) and being a keen observer on the scene.
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 20:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree