Suicide Pill

Suicide Pill

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by Palynka
You're comparing killing yourself with skipping a job interview?
No. I am comparing failing to make significant positive changes to your life because you are ill with failing to make significant positive changes to your life because you are ill.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by Nordlys
No. I am comparing failing to make significant positive changes to your life because you are ill with failing to make significant positive changes to your life because you are ill.
But it depends on the change and the illness, so I don't think the comparison works. For example, what do you think of suicide as a response to the fever?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Mar 09
2 edits

Maybe you do/maybe you don't but if you do hold with the belief that there is a first cause, an unmoved mover, an almighty and omniscient

deity responsible for providing your life and breath in the first place, it seems to follow: (1) That he knows the right time, place and manner

of your death; (2) That it is the epitome of human arrogance to take matters into your own hands by superimposing your own will upon his.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Maybe you do/maybe you don't but if you do hold with the belief that there is a first cause, an unmoved mover, an almighty and omniscient

deity responsible for providing your life and breath in the first place, it seems to follow: (1) That he knows the right time, place and manner

of your death; (2) That it is the epitome of human arrogance to take matters into your own hands by superimposing your own will upon his.
With reference to 2) above; isn't it possible that the suicide is actually, in what he does and when he does it and how he does it, according to 1) above, completing the act of God's will?

How do we, in our arrogance as humans, know that suicide is not a will of God? How do we know that suicide is a superimposition, and not the will of God in its own outright way?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by mikelom
With reference to 2) above; isn't it possible that the suicide is actually, in what he does and when he does it and how he does it, according to 1) above, completing the act of God's will?

How do we, in our arrogance as humans, know that suicide is not a will of God? How do we know that suicide is a superimposition, and not the will of God in its own outright way?
Yes, his permissive rather than express will. Though his omniscience knew, he's a gentleman and doesn't presume to intrude upon our will.

N

The sky

Moves
02 Mar 09

But it depends on the change and the illness, so I don't think the comparison works. For example, what do you think of suicide as a response to the fever?
I think that's very unlikely to happen. You still make suicide sound like a fun thing that people choose because they think it's a good choice.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Mar 09

I think that's very unlikely to happen. You still make suicide sound like a fun thing that people choose because they think it's a good choice.
If that misrepresentation of my opinion works for you, then keep it.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
02 Mar 09

If that misrepresentation of my opinion works for you, then keep it.
Maybe if you stated your opinion clearly, with minimal vitriol, people wouldn't have such an easy time misrepresenting it.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
Maybe if you stated your opinion clearly, with minimal vitriol, people wouldn't have such an easy time misrepresenting it.
When people read what they want and not what's there, I lose all will to explain myself. I make it sound like fun? Really?

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
02 Mar 09

Sort of like fishing.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
02 Mar 09

When people read what they want and not what's there, I lose all will to explain myself. I make it sound like fun? Really?
All teh cool kids ar ddoing it.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
02 Mar 09

No, I didn't say that or imply it at all. I just suggested that when people read things into your opinion which are not there, it is indeed possible that they are deliberately misrepresenting you, but it's also possible that you haven't articulated your opinion well enough to be able to expect people to read in it what you wrote in it.

I don't think you're equating suicide and a day at the zoo by any means, but I still have no idea what the connection between ethics and your personal empathy is, in your opinion.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
02 Mar 09

you've spent the entire thread defending what amounts to an insensitive unrealistic, and overly simplistic view point. The fault doesn't lay with everyone else. Palynka, you need to look inward.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
All teh cool kids ar ddoing it.
http://ninxmz.org/images/demotivators/emo.jpg

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by duecer
you've spent the entire thread defending what amounts to an insensitive unrealistic, and overly simplistic view point. The fault doesn't lay with everyone else. Palynka, you need to look inward.
Maybe. But answer honestly. Do you think I made it sound like fun?