The General Forum isn't the thing.

The General Forum isn't the thing.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
12 Feb 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Specifically, is it true that "The General Forum isn't the thing" and that that this may be "the thing that gets you to the thing."?
If you don't understand an OP or don't want to enter into the spirit of it, you should just come out and say so, rather than get all emotional and copy paste something somebody else wrote about psychology and psychopathy etc.

The "thing" mentioned in the OP might be 'interacting with people one might not ordinarily meet', or 'exploring ideas', or 'alleviating the loneliness', or 'making people laugh' or 'confronting bullies', or 'sampling what makes others tick' or 'drawing attention to oneself' or 'kicking butts and taking names' or 'pretending to be someone different'.

If it's none of those, the "thing" that the General Forum gets you to might be 'letting off steam' or 'subjecting one's opinions and ideas to scrutiny' or 'canvassing the opinions and ideas of others' or 'shocking and scandalizing' or 'making friends' or the achingly simple but evergreen 'killing time between chess moves'.

It could be any of these ~ or various combinations of them ~ along with many more possible "things" besides.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 1)
"Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic. In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Interne ...[text shortened]... orum isn't the thing"[/i] and that that this may be "the thing that gets you to the thing."?
"Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

"To be sure, only 5.6 percent of survey respondents actually specified that they enjoyed “trolling.” By contrast, 41.3 percent of Internet users were “non-commenters,” meaning they didn’t like engaging online at all. So trolls are, as has often been suspected, a minority of online commenters, and an even smaller minority of overall Internet users.

The researchers conducted multiple studies, using samples from Amazon’s Mechanical Turk but also of college students, to try to understand why the act of trolling seems to attract this type of personality. They even constructed their own survey instrument, which they dubbed the Global Assessment of Internet Trolling, or GAIT, containing the following items:"

"I have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.

I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.

I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt."

"Yes, some people actually say they agree with such statements. And again, doing so was correlated with sadism in its various forms, with psychopathy, and with Machiavellianism. Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”

"The study comes as websites, particularly at major media outlets, are increasingly weighing steps to rein in trollish behavior. Last year Popular Science did away with its comments sections completely, citing research on the deleterious effects of trolling, and YouTube also took measures to rein in trolling.

But study author Buckels actually isn’t sure that fix is a realistic one. “Because the behaviors are intrinsically motivating for sadists, comment moderators will likely have a difficult time curbing trolling with punishments (e.g., banning users),” she said by email. “Ultimately, the allure of trolling may be too strong for sadists, who presumably have limited opportunities to express their sadistic interests in a socially-desirable manner.” (2 of 2)

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"An Invitation: Your own observations regarding the validity of these findings on Red Hot Pawn's General Forum would be welcome.
Specifically, is it true that "The General Forum isn't the thing" and that that this may be "the thing that gets you to the thing."?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You
could have heard a pin drop."
Thread 167418

F

Moves
12 Feb 16

"You could have heard a pin drop."
Thread 167418
I replied to you at the bottom of page 1. How on earth is that a 'You could have heard a pin drop' situation?

Australia

Moves
13 Feb 16

I figured this was going to be a coquette-style thread about nothing, just a few words of waffle to entertain the troops. It seems it got white-anted from the start. Pity. I have been staying out of this forum hoping that eventually the projectiles would stop flying, but it looks as if I'll have to wait a long time. Why on earth did GB go berserk with trolling stuff anyway?

F

Moves
13 Feb 16

Originally posted by Kewpie
Why on earth did GB go berserk with trolling stuff anyway?
Perhaps the "thing" mentioned in the OP ~ the "thing" that the General Forum gets you to, in Grampy Bobby's case ~ is constantly characterizing people he disapproves of as "trolls" via blocks of unoriginal, copy pasted text or copy pasted quotations. Maybe that's his "thing". It certainly seemed to be throughout 2015. 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Feb 16
2 edits

I figured this was going to be a coquette-style thread about nothing, just a few words of waffle to entertain the troops. It seems it got white-anted from the start. Pity. I have been staying out of this forum hoping that eventually the projectiles would stop flying, but it looks as if I'll have to wait a long time. Why on earth did GB go berserk with trolling stuff anyway?
"Why on earth did GB go berserk with trolling stuff anyway?"

Because this fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums has become infested with an exceptionally virulent strain
of internet trolls, the presence of which is having a detrimental affect on Red Hot Pawn's Standards of Civility. That's why.

F

Moves
13 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps the "thing" mentioned in the OP ~ the "thing" that the General Forum gets you to, in Grampy Bobby's case ~ is constantly characterizing people he disapproves of as "trolls" via blocks of unoriginal, copy pasted text or copy pasted quotations. Maybe that's his "thing". It certainly seemed to be throughout 2015. 🙂
It seems I was bang on target.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
It seems I was bang on target.
@Crowley.

Australia

Moves
13 Feb 16
1 edit

"Why on earth did GB go berserk with trolling stuff anyway?"

Because this fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums has become invested with an exceptionally virulent strain
of internet trolls, the presence of which is having a detrimental affect on Red Hot Pawn's Standards of Civility. That's why.
Personally I think it was your incivility this time, looking to start a fight in a harmless thread purely because you don't like the person who created it. Childish in the extreme. As is that pompous statement "fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums". What's wrong with using real English and saying "Red Hot Pawn forums" or even "this forum"?

F

Moves
13 Feb 16
1 edit

Because this fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums has become infested with an exceptionally virulent strain
OK, seeing as this appears to be "the thing" that the General Forum gets you to - and that's the topic - I'll indulge you. Presumably you believe I am a "troll" and that you yourself are not a "troll". Fine. How many of your vocal supporters would you characterize as "trolls"?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Feb 16

Personally I think it was your incivility this time, looking to start a fight in a harmless thread purely because you don't like the person who created it. Childish in the extreme. As is that pompous statement "fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums". What's wrong with using real English and saying "Red Hot Pawn forums" or even "this forum"?
You're entitled to "think" whatever you choose as well as to employ the "English" language in a manner consistent with your cultural background and writing style. May I also be accorded these same privileges or have you taken it upon yourself to construct a Procrustean Bed on "this forum"?

Moves
13 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
The General Forum isn't the thing. The General Forum is the thing that [b]gets you to the thing.[/b]
It's an omnibus; passengers get on share ideas, opinions, debate...and get off again.

Australia

Moves
13 Feb 16

You're entitled to "think" whatever you choose as well as to employ the "English" language in a manner consistent with your cultural background and writing style. May I also be accorded these same privileges or have you taken it upon yourself to construct a Procrustean Bed on "this forum"?
Do what you like. As I do.

F

Moves
13 Feb 16

You don't cope well with criticism, clearly. 😕

Moves
13 Feb 16

Because this fifteen year old online correspondence chess site with public forums has become infested with an exceptionally virulent strain of internet trolls, the presence of which is having a detrimental affect on Red Hot Pawn's Standards of Civility. That's why.[/b]
But your behaviour in this this thread, right from the start, has been "trolling". Can you not see that?