The Olden Days

The Olden Days

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
17 Feb 18
1 edit

Just had this passed on to me. πŸ™‚

[My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning..

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took PE ..... and risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the cane for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those older than us. We had 50 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!

We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion, sang the national anthem and no one got upset.

Staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn’t got.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations, OR bloody mobile phones. We weren't!!

Oh yeah ... And where was the antibiotics and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played “King of the Hill” on piles of gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA.
AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED.
I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
AAAAh, those WERE the days! ]

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @drewnogal

[My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning..

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli Almost ...[text shortened]... mber that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
Wow.
Your worst post EVER.

Moves
17 Feb 18

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli Almost ...[text shortened]... mber that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
One of your best!

Moves
17 Feb 18

vive la différence

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Feb 18

Actually this emotion is called nostalgia...an emotion ell worth spemnding an essay on in the RHP prose contest πŸ˜‰

In fact I lived through that era.

there were more traffic death despite slower and less traffic. I think we all know some person dying ina car/motorcycle crash?
More people did die from food poisoning.

And yes sometimes we fall from the horse the other side. That is called overdoing things.
my boys had no high-brow athletic shoes and most other children the same.
My boys are able to write a correct German 8and English) despite having been taught in a modern school. Oh and yes the rate of analphabetics is not seriously affected by training methods.

It is not only the conditions, but also personality that determines how a person develops. Sometimes diue to circumsatnces, sometimes despite circumstances.

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ponderable
Actually this emotion is called nostalgia...an emotion ell worth spemnding an essay on in the RHP prose contest πŸ˜‰
It's also called survivor's bias. Despite what such Reader's Digest lists may want you to believe, tetanus is a real thing and it does kill.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
17 Feb 18

It is not only the conditions, but also personality that determines how a person develops. Sometimes diue to circumsatnces, sometimes despite circumstances.[/b]
Sometimes it’s just pure luck. I’m one of 6 siblings all still alive between the ages of 71 and 60. I survived being hit by a car at the age of 7. I got up off the road, told the locals that I didn’t want to go to hospital for an X-ray and was just taken home. Two of my brothers survived possible electrocution. My mother pulled a live wire out of one brother’s hand and the other brother put a live iron in a bath of water. I had hot chip fat accidentally poured onto my head as a baby. My sister and her friend, aged 11 and 10 were cooking chips on an open fire. One brother survived a fractured skull in a motorbike accident, one brother survived an attack by a German Shepherd dog. One brother started a small house fire by trying to burn mice out of a hole in a window. I used to combe my hair in a mirror placed above a marble mantle and used to tuck my bri-nylon nightie between my knees to stop the fire flames sucking it in.

The world remains as dangerous as ever.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Feb 18
1 edit

drewnogal,

One of your best posts ever, I grew up in those times also. Brings back memories of the good old days!!! Now if I leave the house and happen to forget my cell phone, I have to go back and get it. I remember back then we respected our elders, if we didn't we paid the price which was mentioned in your post. We played baseball, hockey, soccer, football, and yes king of the hill too...LOL...

-VR

Moves
17 Feb 18

You got two thumbs-down as of this writing. Must be millennials😲

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @very-rusty
drewnogal,

One of your best posts ever, I grew up in those times also. Brings back memories of the good old days!!! Now if I leave the house and happen to forget my cell phone, I have to go back and get it. I rememember back then we respected our elders, if we didn't we paid the price which was mentioned in your post. We played baseball, hockey, soccer, football, and yes king of the hill too...LOL...

-VR
Could you please pop over to the 'overlook thread,'......so that I can overlook you.

😡

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Could you please pop over to the 'overlook thread,'......so that I can overlook you.

😡
I overlook you daily, sometimes I even reply to your silly posts! πŸ˜›

-VR

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @very-rusty
I overlook you daily, sometimes I even reply to your silly posts! πŸ˜›

-VR
But, but... replying isn't exactly 'overlooking'.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @bobla45
You got two thumbs-down as of this writing. Must be millennials😲
Or people not affected so much by nostalgia.

It could alos be vengeance? Or general opposition?

Moves
18 Feb 18

Or people not affected so much by nostalgia.

It could alos be vengeance? Or general opposition?
Woody Allen's a freak...but his excellent film, "Midnight in Paris" touches upon this very idea.

I think that "generational bias", "nostalgia" or "longing for simpler times" are innately human features.

I remember when growing up in the 1970's... nostalgia for the 1950's was all the rage. I've often felt cheated because of it...I would've preferred the 60's. πŸ˜‰

Gothenburg

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @wolfe63
Woody Allen's a freak...but his excellent film, "Midnight in Paris" touches upon this very idea.

I think that "generational bias", "nostalgia" or "longing for simpler times" are innately human features.

I remember when growing up in the 1970's... nostalgia for the 1950's was all the rage. I've often felt cheated because of it...I would've preferred the 60's. πŸ˜‰
I think the 60-70's were the best decades ever in my country for people in general, and so much has changed since then - some things are better, others are not.