General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7495
    19 Feb '18 09:50
    Originally posted by @bobla45
    You got two thumbs-down as of this writing. Must be millennials😲
    Or people who remember what it was actually like, without the rose-tinted glasses.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46064
    19 Feb '18 10:15
    The good old days.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain#/media/File:Killed_on_British_Roads.png

    1966 nearly 8,000 deaths on the roads in UK
    2016 less than 1800
    Despite a massive increase in population and car usage
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10372
    07 Mar '18 21:01
    1800 still sounds like a lot
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46064
    07 Mar '18 23:37
    Originally posted by @trev33
    1800 still sounds like a lot
    But not as much as the good old days!
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98620
    08 Mar '18 13:53
    The "Good Old Days" were just that for me. Actually they (60s and 70s) were "GREAT Old Days". But they have come and gone and are now just some faded memories and pictures that bring back a smile. Ya I guess it is nostalgia eh?
  6. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Just...the Dogg
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    123876
    08 Mar '18 18:56
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Just had this passed on to me. πŸ™‚

    [My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning..

    Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli Almost ...[text shortened]... mber that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
    AAAAh, those WERE the days! ]
    Nostalgia is fine, but why the insistence that no one in the future could possibly enjoy life as much?

    (Other than to match the obnoxiousness of most other commonly-forwarded email / Facebook posts.)
  7. Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    39122
    08 Mar '18 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Nostalgia is fine, but why the insistence that no one in the future could possibly enjoy life as much?

    (Other than to match the obnoxiousness of most other commonly-forwarded email / Facebook posts.)
    I just copied and pasted it. They’re not my thoughts or views. Bits of it made me smile.
    Of course things are better now. No way would I have coped with childbirth without pethidine and entenox. Nor would I have coped with a tooth extraction with pliers.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98620
    09 Mar '18 14:58
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    I just copied and pasted it. They’re not my thoughts or views. Bits of it made me smile.
    Of course things are better now. No way would I have coped with childbirth without pethidine and entenox. Nor would I have coped with a tooth extraction with pliers.
    Seems there is a "Thumb Downer" out there who is probably not "old" enough to be nostalgic yet eh?πŸ˜€
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    531227
    09 Mar '18 15:21
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Seems there is a "Thumb Downer" out there who is probably not "old" enough to be nostalgic yet eh?πŸ˜€
    Time that a "thum upper" thumped up your post πŸ˜‰
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98620
    09 Mar '18 15:35
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Time that a "thum upper" thumped up your post πŸ˜‰
    I await with bated breath.πŸ™„πŸ˜‰
  11. Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    39122
    09 Mar '18 16:25
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Seems there is a "Thumb Downer" out there who is probably not "old" enough to be nostalgic yet eh?πŸ˜€
    We’re all getting older at the same time Stees. Some of us like to THINK
    we’re young in our ways but to those 20 years younger we are OLD.
    It takes a level of maturity to get that. πŸ˜‰
  12. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    11306
    09 Mar '18 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    We’re all getting older at the same time Stees. Some of us like to THINK
    we’re young in our ways but to those 20 years younger we are OLD.
    It takes a level of maturity to get that. πŸ˜‰
    In most cases, lets hope Drew that age is a level of maturity, not just a number. πŸ™‚
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    98620
    09 Mar '18 18:04
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    We’re all getting older at the same time Stees. Some of us like to THINK
    we’re young in our ways but to those 20 years younger we are OLD.
    It takes a level of maturity to get that. πŸ˜‰
    Are you suggesting that I may be old or just immature?πŸ˜€
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    434834
    09 Mar '18 21:43
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    But, but... replying isn't exactly 'overlooking'.
    Suz,

    Did you really have to point that out!!! πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

    -VR
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    434834
    09 Mar '18 21:55
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Are you suggesting that I may be old or just immature?πŸ˜€
    Possibly both? πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

    -VR
Back to Top