The things people do for money

The things people do for money

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Jun 16

This is a thread mainly for people who don't rank the pursuit of lots of money as highly as they do other things in life.

If I had just played a season of football where I'd famously scored many of the goals that had brought my team and my city a fairy tale win after a 132 year wait, and I was already getting £60,000 a week, there's no way I'd move to a different club, at least not until I'd had a shot at repeating the feat with the team (for the city, for the fans) - not straight away - not until maybe 2017. [Or so I say, because it's easy for me to say it, with me not facing the predicament myself.]

What choices by rich people have you had difficulty empathizing with?

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
posting in the rhp forums...
i'm a tool for hanging with the ghetto babies...

Moves
07 Jun 16

"What choices by rich people have you had difficulty empathizing with?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rich-californians-youll-have-to-pry-the-hoses-from-our-cold-dead-hands/2015/06/13/fac6f998-0e39-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html

quote:

RANCHO SANTA FE, CALIF. — Drought or no drought, Steve Yuhas resents the idea that it is somehow shameful to be a water hog. If you can pay for it, he argues, you should get your water.

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,” Yuhas fumed recently on social media. “We pay significant property taxes based on where we live,” he added in an interview. “And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

Yuhas lives in the ultra-wealthy enclave of Rancho Santa Fe, a bucolic Southern California hamlet of ranches, gated communities and country clubs that guzzles five times more water per capita than the statewide average. In April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
This is a thread mainly for people who don't rank the pursuit of lots of money as highly as they do other things in life.

If I had just played a season of football where I'd famously scored many of the goals that had brought my team and my city a fairy tale win after a 132 year wait, and I was already getting £60,000 a week, there's no way I'd move to a diffe ...[text shortened]... he predicament myself.]

I'm not familiar with the football player you may be referring to, but I see this situation all the time in sports: athletes being vilified for "disloyalty" because a different team offered them more money.

I see nothing wrong with this. If athletes can rack up more money before retiring, more power to them. Sports, for the most part, is business, whether fans like to admit it or not. If a talented athlete gets injured, at that "loyalty" from fans will go out the window. Or, the athlete can play at a high level and make one mistake at a critical time (because of being human) and get death threats.

Fans aren't loyal to players, they're loyal to the team. Fans expect the players to be as well, even though the team will gladly and quickly trade a player for someone better, or get rid of the player the moment he/she isn't as useful (due to age, injury, etc.). Doesn't that sound like fascism to anyone else?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by vivify
I'm not familiar with the football player you may be referring to, but I see this situation all the time in sports: a athletes being vilified for "disloyalty" because a different team offered them more money.

I see nothing wrong with this. If athletes can rack up more money before retiring, more to them. Sports, for the most part, is business, whether ...[text shortened]... she isn't as useful (due to age, injury, etc.). Doesn't that sound like fascism to anyone else?
You have to factor in the short pro life of a footballer, American or European. If they get a huge payday, it has to last for the rest of their lives usually.

Some of them get many millions but that is the minority, the average player gets far less and has a lot less at the end of his or her pro life.

You see people like Federer or Djokavich, closing in on 100 million earned from just tennis outside of the endorsements but for every one like that you get a thousand with maybe 100K a year max and they have to pay people like coaches, therapists and so forth, comes out of that money also.

The Agassi's, and Graf's and such are at the top end of the money market, together worth close to a half billion dollars but how many others like Marty Fish, was also a top player but now worth max 4 million bucks. Their endorsement money runs out, they better have a lot of money in the bank or they will be doing razor blade commercials for a living.

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16

lol at "razor blade" commercials.

Über-Nerd

Moves
07 Jun 16

Running for president.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF

If I had just played a season of football where I'd famously scored many of the goals that had brought my team and my city a fairy tale win after a 132 year wait, and I was already getting £60,000 a week, there's no way I'd move to a diffe ...[text shortened]... he predicament myself.]

It depends on how you (or whoever) define "my team" and "my city" and of course how much the financial lure influences individuals decision making process.

I presume you you are taking about Jamie Vardy, who could of course have remained at Fleetwood after helping them get promoted and being nominated player of the year. He has been at Leicester since 2012 and worked with the team to save them from relegation last year and win the EPL this year.

I feel that if a top club comes in with an attractive offer he is more than justified in accepting it, especially as him being 29 his best days as a player could well be upon him and somewhat behind him.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
07 Jun 16

I find it quite pathetic to put a single minute musing about rich people.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Jun 16

Originally posted by Seitse
I find it quite pathetic to put a single minute musing about rich people.
You just did

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
08 Jun 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
You just did
That took me less than a minute. Even combined with this post.

You're not worth more either *wink*

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Jun 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
You just did
How about poor people?

Moves
08 Jun 16

Critical Bill ate a piece of cr.a.p. for bet.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF

That they have choices unavailable to the poor. Ideally every soul should have equal wealth, but that's not possible because the poor are too ignorant to manage much more than a pair of shoes. Eventually the rich would be rich again. That's the world we live in.

Read a book!

Moves
08 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
That they have choices unavailable to the poor. Ideally every soul should have equal wealth, but that's not possible because the poor are too ignorant to manage much more than a pair of shoes. Eventually the rich would be rich again. That's the world we live in.
Was Jesus poor?