1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:25
    There are many people who hate the expression "I couldn't care Less".
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:36
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    There are many people who hate the expression "I couldn't care Less".
    I could respond to you by saying I could care less but, considering that I am British, it would be ironic ~ meaning that my use of the expression contains some element of poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is, and in so doing, I would be offering what some would perhaps see as an oblique commentary on what is going on, while for others it would be go whoosh.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:482 edits
    "I couldn't care less" always sounds like a putdown to me. It says that I care absolutely nothing about what you're discussing, and it's a conversation killer, devaluing the listener.

When it comes to "I could care less" that just shows that the speaker is so ignorant they can't understand the concept of the double negative. You may think it's irony, but I've observed that most of the people who use the phrase don't know what irony is either.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:54
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    "I couldn't care less" always sounds like a putdown to me. It says that I care absolutely nothing about what you're discussing, and it's a conversation killer, devaluing the listener.

When it comes to "I could care less" that just shows that the speaker is so ignorant they can't understand the concept of the double negative. You may think it's irony, but I've observed that most of the people who use the phrase don't know what irony is either.
    I don't think I've ever met a British speaker of English (or a speaker of British English, should we say) who used the expression "I could care less".
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:55
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You should have entered that in the writing competition. i would have voted for it.
    Apparently people would have voted for the writing on the back of their box of cereal, too.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 02:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Apparently people would have voted for the writing on the back of their box of cereal, too.
    i read my cereal box every morning...
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 02:11
    Originally posted by rookie54
    i read my cereal box every morning...
    For what it's worth, I think drewnogal's writing is better than what we get on cereal boxes.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 03:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    For what it's worth, I think drewnogal's writing is better than what we get on cereal boxes.
    Well, she did pretty well in last year's competition, so you're not the only one with that opinion.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 03:30
    I think drewnogal's writing also surpasses that on road signs. She's an all-conquering gal.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 03:41
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I think drewnogal's writing also surpasses that on road signs. She's an all-conquering gal.
    I agree, although, as life has taught me, I'd probably heed the writing on the wall before I'd act upon what drewnogal has written.* 😉

* a lover's mother bearing slippers notwithstanding.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 04:23
    "Internet Etiquette - 10 Rules of Netiquette" By Kim Tranter "26 Sep '13 11:17" Thread 155562 (to be continued)

"Okay, so the internet police won’t come and get you and the bush people aren’t peeking in your windows with binoculars, but there definitely are some great rules for internet etiquette that will make your online experience more enjoyable.

1. When typing never write in all capital letters. That is shouting. People don’t like it when you shout at them in person. And they sure don’t like when you shout at them on the net!

2. Don’t plagiarize. Someone spent a long time coming up with their content. When you borrow something from someone, give them the credit. Site their name or their site. Give the site when you have gotten your information.

3. Use proper quotes and always use the whole quote. Don’t take quotes out of context and don’t be selective about which part of the quote you want to use.

4. Don’t gossip and keep personal information personal. Don’t tell stories that you don’t know for a fact to be true. And often, just because it’s true, doesn’t mean that it needs to be repeated.

5. Don’t steal those photographs off the web even if they are a perfect fit for what you need. Chances are they are copyrighted and someone spent a long time putting that together. Get permission and give credit where credit is due.

6. Watch your language. No potty mouths.

7. Be patient with internet newbies. Know that they are just learning like you did once upon a time.

8. No spamming. Remember that spam is unwanted electronic messages or sending the same electronic message over and over. This can get you in a lot of trouble on some sites and as a general rule it just irritates everyone else.

9. If you are using a header (such as in an email) make sure your content really pertains to the header. You must admit it would really stink if the header said something about football, for example, and the email was really about your newest and greatest business idea. Just stay on topic and the problem is solved.

10. Avoid overuse of emoticons. You know… those cute little smiley faces. They really lose their cuteness when overused and tend to irritate people.

Following these simple guidelines will keep your internet connections happy and allow for more “social” interactions. Just like in face to face dealings, internet users love other users with manners. Manners go a long way in saying who you are and what you are."
    http://www.uticaod.com/blogs/socialmedia/x1177024386/Internet-Etiquette-10-Rules-of-Netiquette

11. ?

12. ¿"
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 04:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Internet Etiquette - 10 Rules of Netiquette" By Kim Tranter "26 Sep '13 11:17" Thread 155562 (to be continued)

"Okay, so the internet police won’t come and get you and the bush people aren’t peeking in your windows with binoculars, but there definitely are some great rules for internet etiquette that will make your online exper ...[text shortened]... com/blogs/socialmedia/x1177024386/Internet-Etiquette-10-Rules-of-Netiquette

11. ?

12. ¿"[/b]
    No. 8 should be one you pay more attention to.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 04:331 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    We had a childhood saying in our family "I sit down corrected" because we were so rarely standing when we said it. Whenever I see or hear "I stand corrected" I automatically restate it in my head.

Anyone else have a similar mental process about a catchphrase?
    "Utter nonsense lies ahead, what with the future yet to come."

Courtesy of http://nonsense.x2d.org/

Tenuous segue, I know. 😵
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 05:04
    the vibrancy of the general forum,
    is the ringtone on my phone...
    and when the negativity sets it to humming,
    it never fails to bring forth a bone...
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 05:29
    Originally posted by rookie54
    the vibrancy of the general forum,
    is the ringtone on my phone...
    and when the negativity sets it to humming,
    it never fails to bring forth a bone...
    Anything which inspires rookie54 to post has to be a good thing. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree