1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "They are being themselves whether we like it or not, and they are being themselves whether they know it or not."

Sounds as if you're concluding that everyone's points of view and style of expression is essentially the same...
    Reveal Hidden Content
    oops, me fingers gots the hiccups
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 00:52
    "They are being themselves whether we like it or not, and they are being themselves whether they know it or not."

Sounds as if you're concluding that everyone's points of view and style of expression is essentially the same...
    No, not everyone. It's a significant number, enough to be seen if you are looking. If everyone was doing this, who would be left for the free thinkers to mimic? 😉 😛 😀
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 02:39
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    No, not everyone. It's a significant number, enough to be seen if you are looking. If everyone was doing this, who would be left for the free thinkers to mimic? 😉 😛 😀
    "No, not everyone..."

Hmm... I've always thought that a person's points of view and style
    of expression were as distinctively their own as their given name.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 03:40
    "No, not everyone..."

Hmm... I've always thought that a person's points of view and style
    of expression were as distinctively their own as their given name.
    They are distinctively their own. Affectation of style and viewpoint can't entirely disguise who someone is (not that they are trying to disguise themselves) and I believe everyones individual "fingerprint" does (or will) show through. It's actually both, we are all mostly the same and we are all different. If I look at birds of a feather they all appear to be the same, but among their own kind the differences are apparent.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 03:46
    They are distinctively their own. Affectation of style and viewpoint can't entirely disguise who someone is (not that they are trying to disguise themselves) and I believe everyones individual "fingerprint" does (or will) show through. It's actually both, we are all mostly the same and we are all different. If I look at birds of a feather they all appear to be the same, but among their own kind the differences are apparent.
    Sounds as if we're in agreement.

P.S. Did you notice the clue?
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 04:123 edits
    Sounds as if we're in agreement.

P.S. Did you notice the clue?
    What clue? I knew you weren't disagreeing with me. I may be relatively new to these boards, but I've been here long enough to understand the purpose of your questions and comments.

Or did you mean something else by clue? I haven't gone back to re-examine the clues in your word game yet. I've been ignoring my own advice about procrastination, and have been busy getting things done this week.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 04:17
    So is the answer to the word game "name"?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 04:28
    Sounds like a plan. Glad you're back. Once again things are cool....
    Yeah, that went really well.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 04:36
    So is the answer to the word game "name"?
    Yes, my patient friend. What word in the language is more important than our given name? We respond to it as infants and toddlers; we wear it on our foreheads or chests in our teens; we listen for it in business meetings until we're called upon; that single word becomes an endearment when spoken by our loved ones and close friends. It's as distinctive as our souls.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 04:411 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yeah, that went really well.
    Please no "Flame Wars" as the wording in your "Self Proclaimed Title" implies. Ha,
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 05:19
    Yes, my patient friend. What word in the language is more important than our given name? We respond to it as infants and toddlers; we wear it on our foreheads or chests in our teens; we listen for it in business meetings until we're called upon; that single word becomes an endearment when spoken by our loved ones and close friends. It's as distinctive as our souls.
    I can't think of a personal pronoun I haven't already posted at the other thread. I also don't know what one particular word could be appropriate in any setting, from talking to a baby to talking to someone at a board meeting. At this point I would have to mechanically (in my mind) go through the alphabet starting with the letter "A", and try finding the word in this manner.

I can do this, but not when I need to rest and let the day melt away from my mind. Turning my mind off at the end of the day can be next to impossible unless I manage to find my way to the "nothing box". And if insomnia awaits me then sometimes a cup of coffee is enough to get me to relax so I can drift off to sleep. Sometimes nothing works, so I have to wait until hopefully the sandman shows up and mercifully beats me into unconsciousness with his bag of sand... grim, but effective.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 07:20
    You've been a good teacher over the years, darv. Don't you wish more people would find the courage to be themselves? You know, be unique; be the individual that's you. How sad when some feel the need to be beholden to some other dominating presence or influence in their lives. Maybe the impersonality of the internet itself is the cause of the need to cower and hide.
    The dominating influence in your life is obviously the need to populate this forum with thread after thread of your dreary over-weening observations and back-handed passive aggressiveness.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 07:31
    Please no "Flame Wars" as the wording in your "Self Proclaimed Title" implies. Ha,
    On another point, why do you have an anime teen in her baby-doll outfit as your avatar?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 07:46
    I can't think of a personal pronoun I haven't already posted at the other thread. I also don't know what one particular word could be appropriate in any setting, from talking to a baby to talking to someone at a board meeting. At this point I would have to mechanically (in my mind) go through the alphabet starting with the letter "A", and try findi ...[text shortened]... ows up and mercifully beats me into unconsciousness with his bag of sand... grim, but effective.
    Mine would simply be "Bob" or Bobby" or when I'd disobeyed when young "Robert" from my Dad.

Postscript: Be nice to the Sandman. He's really your friend.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 07:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    On another point, why do you have an anime teen in her baby-doll outfit as your avatar?
    Could be a Top Secret/Eyes Only Metaphor for a new romantic interest; or Texas Songbird when she was young; or....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree