Three

Three "White Boys" on Box of Rice Krispies! OMG!!!

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
19 Jun 20

@earl-of-trumps said
All I can say is... Mental illness is not curable.
How do you know?

Moves
19 Jun 20

@petewxyz said
Love Indian food. I remember buying samosa and pakora just being cooked by the street. The only iffy food (this was in the 80s) was train food which was stored too long before the trays were brought round, but if you stepped off at stations there was good food just being cooked on the platforms.
Aw Indian trains, what a delight. Was never sick from it but didn't trust the food on the trains much, you're right about jumping off at the stations, you'd wonder why there's enough time to get off for food but remember arriving 10 hours late after the train was only delayed by 2 hours. Always said I'd go back to India but haven't made it yet, probably changed a lot in 10 years nevermind 30.

Über-Nerd

Moves
19 Jun 20
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
The shame!

And then there is Little Caesar Pizza! RACIST!

Wendy's. Now that is SEXIST and RACSIT, too.

Captain Crunch cereal!!! omg
What about Black and Decker? Maybe they should be Purple and Decker, or Strictly-Neutral and Decker.

Moves
19 Jun 20
1 edit

@moonbus

White Castle. Uh-oh.

Oh, yeah -- The White House.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
19 Jun 20

@caesar-salad said
@moonbus

White Castle. Uh-oh.

Oh, yeah -- The White House.
Oh, yes. I'm afraid so.

Bunch a crackers in that house. So oppressive.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
19 Jun 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Oh, yes. I'm afraid so.

Bunch a crackers in that house. So oppressive.
Hopefully we will see a changing of the guard there.

-VR

SRB

Moves
19 Jun 20

@trev33 said
Aw Indian trains, what a delight. Was never sick from it but didn't trust the food on the trains much, you're right about jumping off at the stations, you'd wonder why there's enough time to get off for food but remember arriving 10 hours late after the train was only delayed by 2 hours. Always said I'd go back to India but haven't made it yet, probably changed a lot in 10 years nevermind 30.
My best trip was round the backwaters in Kerala. Then we got a bus up to Periyar lake which was great for wildlife, but my enduring memory was a bus journey down the other side into Tamil Nadu. As the bus did the hair pins, with the front wheels (set someway back from the front of the bus) right on the edge of the road the front of the bus itself literally hung over the mountain edge. A real test of the quality of the food that you had eaten!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
19 Jun 20

@petewxyz said
My best trip was round the backwaters in Kerala. Then we got a bus up to Periyar lake which was great for wildlife, but my enduring memory was a bus journey down the other side into Tamil Nadu. As the bus did the hair pins, with the front wheels (set someway back from the front of the bus) right on the edge of the road the front of the bus itself literally hung over the mountain edge. A real test of the quality of the food that you had eaten!
Sounds like a suicide ride!

-VR

SRB

Moves
19 Jun 20

@very-rusty said
Sounds like a suicide ride!

-VR
The bus did the same route every day and there were none laying at the bottom of the slope. I got a really really good look!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
19 Jun 20

@petewxyz said
The bus did the same route every day and there were none laying at the bottom of the slope. I got a really really good look!
Did you have clean underwear at the end of the ride? 😉

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Jun 20

AP has decided the capitalise the 'b' in Black when referring to a person of color.

https://apnews.com/71386b46dbff8190e71493a763e8f45a

However, the article linked above does not capitalize the 'w' in White when referring to a person not of color. This is inconsistent.

If Black is now on a level with Swiss (a person from Switzerland), or Native American, or Jew, then White should also be capitalized.

Read a book!

Moves
20 Jun 20

@moonbus said
AP has decided the capitalise the 'b' in Black when referring to a person of color.

https://apnews.com/71386b46dbff8190e71493a763e8f45a

However, the article linked above does not capitalize the 'w' in White when referring to a person not of color. This is inconsistent.

If Black is now on a level with Swiss (a person from Switzerland), or Native American, or Jew, then White should also be capitalized.
This is from the AP stylebook. The jury is still out on white.

"AP’s style is now to capitalize Black in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense, conveying an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa. The lowercase black is a color, not a person. We also now capitalize Indigenous in reference to original inhabitants of a place.

"These changes align with long-standing capitalization of other racial and ethnic identifiers such as Latino, Asian American and Native American. Our discussions on style and language consider many points, including the need to be inclusive and respectful in our storytelling and the evolution of language. We believe this change serves those ends.

"As a global news organization, we are continuing to discuss within the U.S. and internationally whether to capitalize the term white. Considerations are many and include any implications that doing so might have outside the United States.

"We continue to discuss other terms, including minorities and people of color, as well as the term 'Black, Indigenous and people of color.'

"Our revisions come after more than two years of in-depth research and discussion with colleagues and respected thinkers from a diversity of backgrounds, both within and from outside the cooperative. The updates become part of the AP Stylebook’s race-related coverage guidance, which begins:

"Reporting and writing about issues involving race calls for thoughtful consideration, precise language, and an openness to discussions with others of diverse backgrounds about how to frame coverage or what language is most appropriate, accurate and fair.
Avoid broad generalizations and labels; race and ethnicity are one part of a person’s identity. Identifying people by race and reporting on actions that have to do with race often go beyond simple style questions, challenging journalists to think broadly about racial issues before having to make decisions on specific situations and stories.
In all coverage — not just race-related coverage — strive to accurately represent the world, or a particular community, and its diversity through the people you quote and depict in all formats. Omissions and lack of inclusion can render people invisible and cause anguish."
We welcome your thoughts at: https://apstylebook.com/suggestions.

Moves
20 Jun 20

@earl-of-trumps said
What makes you say this?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Jun 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Don't give up.
Modern medical science is always discovering new cures.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Jun 20

@divegeester said
What makes you say this?
Oh, just my casual observance of Trump Derangement Syndrome in some folks.

Never goes away.