1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 12:30
    Last night on the way home from work a deer ran right into my car, hood flipped up on the windshield, deer instantly dead, it flipped over on top of the car almost caused more accidents, people swerving to miss it and I could not see to drive, the whole front end of my little Accent was caved in, the radiator now alloyed into the engine and steam coming off the engine in the dark of night, caused near zero visibility, couldn't tell what was on the side of the road, if I could pull over without hitting something, was able to drive maybe a half mile before I could see I would not run into a tree or something.

Car near destroyed, shook up all night, can't get the sight of the last half second of the deer's life as it looked at me directly from about one meter distance.

My wife is a shaman and she says we should have a little ceremony celebrating the life of the deer.

Weird thing, the air bags did not deploy, if they had I would still have been going near 100 Km/hr and would have had literally zero vision, shudder to think what could have happened in that case.

All in all a bad night.
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Last night on the way home from work a deer ran right into my car, hood flipped up on the windshield, deer instantly dead, it flipped over on top of the car almost caused more accidents, people swerving to miss it and I could not see to drive, the whole front end of my little Accent was caved in, the radiator now alloyed into the engine and steam coming off ...[text shortened]... zero vision, shudder to think what could have happened in that case.

All in all a bad night.
    Sorry to hear about your experience, shocking I believe. A deer is a rather small animal, you were lucky that way.

I have to correct that: not small, only when compared to an elk which was what I had in mind.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 13:07
    Originally posted by lolof
    Sorry to hear about your experience, shocking I believe. A deer is a rather small animal, you were lucky that way.

I have to correct that: not small, only when compared to an elk which was what I had in mind.
    It looked like a MOOSE when I was doing 100 Km/hr and it is 1 meter in front of your face!
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 17:30
    Last night on the way home from work a deer ran right into my car, hood flipped up on the windshield, deer instantly dead, it flipped over on top of the car almost caused more accidents, people swerving to miss it and I could not see to drive, the whole front end of my little Accent was caved in, the radiator now alloyed into the engine and steam coming off ...[text shortened]... zero vision, shudder to think what could have happened in that case.

All in all a bad night.
    sonhouse, I'm thankful you're life has been spared.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    sonhouse, I'm thankful you're life has been spared.
    Thank you.

The police said the fact the hood flew up covering the windshield probably saved me from having a large deer in my lap and a lot of broken glass. It flew over the car onto the street.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 18:07
    Thank you.

The police said the fact the hood flew up covering the windshield probably saved me from having a large deer in my lap and a lot of broken glass. It flew over the car onto the street.
    You're more than welcome.... sonhouse's guardian hood was on the job. What will you do now for transportation?
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 18:29
    You know it's illegal to pick on your own road kill but the next car that come along can legally stop and pick up the deer?

I'm sure that crossed your mind as the deer was flying through the air.

Not sure where that is the law, if it's here or America or both.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:10
    Originally posted by Trev33
    You know it's illegal to pick on your own road kill but the next car that come along can legally stop and pick up the deer?

I'm sure that crossed your mind as the deer was flying through the air.

Not sure where that is the law, if it's here or America or both.
    I heard about that but that was the last thing on my mind going sixty at night on a road where you couldn't see shyte because of the hood in your face and steam coming out the engine.

I wouldn't have taken that deer unless I was starving.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:11
    You're more than welcome.... sonhouse's guardian hood was on the job. What will you do now for transportation?
    My insurance is a good company, Nationwide, they give 30 bucks a day for a rental for a month. Co-incidentally Enterprise car rental has cars for 30 bucks a day🙂 Surely coincidental🙂
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:17
    My insurance is a good company, Nationwide, they give 30 bucks a day for a rental for a month. Co-incidentally Enterprise car rental has cars for 30 bucks a day🙂 Surely coincidental🙂
    "Surely Coincidental."... (maybe or maybe not). Which of the cars in the Enterprise Inventory has the highest safety rating?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:292 edits
    "Surely Coincidental."... (maybe or maybe not). Which of the cars in the Enterprise Inventory has the highest safety rating?
    Not sure about safety, cars today are ALL a LOT safer than 20 years ago for sure. Not a coincidence, that was a joke, they are hooked together tighter than a drum🙂

I remember as a 14 year old in 1956 my parents bought a new ford station wagon, we drove it to Anchorage. It had foam on the dashboard, one of the first to do that. I think Volvo had the first triple support seat belts by 1959, the standard today. Not sure when the airbag came into common use.

Another safety development was the collapsing steering column so in a frontal crash if the engine moves back it goes under the car instead of on your lap.

I remember a particularly horrific crash in Allentown Pa about 10 years ago, a guy, drunk, drove his car at 110 mph on Hamilton street which worked for about a mile but on Hamilton and 7th street there is this huge statue with a wide base and he actually made it around the base without hitting it but unbeknownst to him there was some construction going on and there were these bricks shield barriers up sticking into the streets, just tent poles and such but he hit them doing over 100 mph and the car disintegrated, no safety equipment would have saved him, he was torn apart and was taken to the morgue in pieces and the engine ended up about 1/4 mile straight ahead.

That was one horrible accident. I guess he felt no pain, he was probably dead before more than one or two body parts separated...
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:47
    Not sure about safety, cars today are ALL a LOT safer than 20 years ago for sure. Not a coincidence, that was a joke, they are hooked together tighter than a drum🙂

I remember as a 14 year old in 1956 my parents bought a new ford station wagon, we drove it to Anchorage. It had foam on the dashboard, one of the first to do that. I think Volvo had the firs ...[text shortened]... e support seat belts by 1959, the standard today. Not sure when the airbag came into common use.
    One of my friends who worked for the government's military and space program procurement offices retired two years ago. Dave and wife have prospered over the years and are to travel leisurely at will. Guess what he does between the Collegiate and NFL Seasons and January and February at their condo on the gulf shores? Drives for Enterprise (moving inventory from point A to Point B and back within a hundred mile area three days a week). They also rent from Enterprise (to save wear and tear on their own two vehicles) to follow the Missouri University Tigers wherever they play from August until November.

sonhouse, I'll call Dave this weekend to find out what they rent and/or recommend. What distance is your daily commuting?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 19:52

I remember as a 14 year old in 1956 my parents bought a new ford station wagon, we drove it to Anchorage. It had foam on the dashboard, one of the first to do that. I think Volvo had the firs ...[text shortened]... guess he felt no pain, he was probably dead before more than one or two body parts separated...
    The Allentown Pa crash victim ["a guy, drunk, drove his car at 110 mph on Hamilton street"] effectively committed suicide.
  14. old pueblo
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 20:05
    I had a friend in Wisconsin who only survived such an encounter with her children in the car because it was a big SUV, which is now the only kind of vehicle she'll drive.

The closest I came myself was in New York State, and my lights flickered in the eyes of a deer on the side of the road, which made me slow down drastically and miss the one parallel to it in front of me.

I totally get how scary that is! I'm so glad you made it through!
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 20:33
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/jerky-recipe.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bulk-venison-breakfast-sausage/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree