1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 20:41
    We have more deer around here than Carter's got pills so when driving at night I'm always scanning the fields for the telltale signs of luminous eyes and if one does cross my path I stop and let the other 2-10 pass before moving on. I have "bumped into" at least 3 in the 20+ years I've lived here.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 22:411 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    One of my friends who worked for the government's military and space program procurement offices retired two years ago. Dave and wife have prospered over the years and are to travel leisurely at will. Guess what he does between the Collegiate and NFL Seasons and January and February at their condo on the gulf shores? Drives for Enterprise (moving invent ...[text shortened]... this weekend to find out what they rent and/or recommend. What distance is your daily commuting?
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 email from Dave:

"I think your friend should be able to get a nice rental car from Enterprise for $30/day or less. They are good to work with folks when insurance is involved and the person is renting as a result of an accident.

If he has a local Enterprise office he can call them and explain the situation. They can come and pick him up if he needs a ride. They will work with him and get him in a car he is satisfied with. I usually go with an intermediate level, example Elantra, because of the gas mileage.

Will let you know of the upcoming summit [code word for our next day in the sun poolside or night on the town] info asap."

Edit Note: My reply: "Thank you, Dave. I’ll look forward to our “2014 Summit #1”… will O be there?"
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 00:21
    And nobody seems to care about the deer. That's GF. for you.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 00:50
    Originally posted by Kegge
    We will be having a shamanic session commemorating the life of the poor deer.

Wife is a shaman.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 01:111 edit
    "My wife is a shaman and she says we should have a little ceremony celebrating the life of the deer." sonhouse's OP

sonhouse nearly lost his life last night, Kegge. How inattentive to merely skim his account; how dismissive and cynical.
  6. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 01:46
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    We have more deer around here than Carter's got pills so when driving at night I'm always scanning the fields for the telltale signs of luminous eyes and if one does cross my path I stop and let the other 2-10 pass before moving on. I have "bumped into" at least 3 in the 20+ years I've lived here.
    We have lived here for 39 years and had never hit a deer because we were careful to stay under the speed limit after dark. The deer come into our yard most nights. But a few years ago a large buck ran into us! We were just descending Enger Hill and about to cross Enger Slough...named for my husband's pioneer grandparents...and were about 1/4 of a mile from home when it happened in broad daylight. The buck was leading a herd away from a pack of coyotes. We crested the hill...not seeing a thing...and wham! His body hit the passenger door, and his head came through the windshield in front of me. Glass in my hair, purse, inside my clothes and eyelashes. In my mouth, too, because I screamed. The sheriff was there in 15 minutes as we called from home. Never saw the buck's body the next day. The coyotes ate him up. But the herd was spared.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 01:56
    It was delicious 😀
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 13:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We will be having a shamanic session commemorating the life of the poor deer.

Wife is a shaman.
    That is a good thing 🙂
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "My wife is a shaman and she says we should have a little ceremony celebrating the life of the deer." sonhouse's OP

sonhouse nearly lost his life last night, Kegge. How inattentive to merely skim his account; how dismissive and cynical.
    lol ... moron.
    Life on this planet is equally valuable. I do not put humans on a higher pedestal then other lifeforms. How is that inattentive, dismissive and cynical? You seem to be the one who is cynical about the value of life on this planet, not me.

Blegh, and now I have had enough for a whole year of replying to your drivel again. So long and may you finally die this year, preferably in a car accident where the deer does survive and not you.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 13:46
    lol ... moron.
    Life on this planet is equally valuable. I do not put humans on a higher pedestal then other lifeforms. How is that inattentive, dismissive and cynical? You seem to be the one who is cynical about the value of life on this planet, not me.

Blegh, and now I have had enough for a whole year of replying to your drivel again. So long and may you finally die this year, preferably in a car accident where the deer does survive and not you.
    Had a nice venison roast for lunch loverly mmm mmmm mmmm
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 14:07
    Originally posted by redbarons
    Had a nice venison roast for lunch loverly mmm mmmm mmmm
    Last night we were invited over to a friends place for dinner. Her husband hasn't been heard from for a few days. The meal was a roast of undetermined origin and tasted like nothing I've ever eaten before. On the way home we discussed some possibilities.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 14:22
    Last night we were invited over to a friends place for dinner. Her husband hasn't been heard from for a few days. The meal was a roast of undetermined origin and tasted like nothing I've ever eaten before. On the way home we discussed some possibilities.
    probably Longpig.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 14:31
    probably Longpig.
    Do you think so? Yuuuuck! Now having said that we did banty that possibility about.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 14:47
    Do you think so? Yuuuuck! Now having said that we did banty that possibility about.
    on that note what is the most disgusting thing you have eaten I tried jellied eels and tripe but couldn't keep them down, and Quorn is vile.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 14:57
    on that note what is the most disgusting thing you have eaten I tried jellied eels and tripe but couldn't keep them down, and Quorn is vile.
    I can't get myself to eat tongue. Now tripe I do like when cooked properly (not overdone).
    I'm going to have to look up Quorn in my Enclyclopedia Brittanica as I'm not familiar with it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree