twice

Subscribermlb62
General 20 Apr '20 15:27
  1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 15:27
    If a person gets c-19 virus, then gets over it and is healthy again...can that person get C-19 again..a Second Time?
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 16:19
    @ogb said
    If a person gets c-19 virus, then gets over it and is healthy again...can that person get C-19 again..a Second Time?
    I haven't read anything about this in relation to COVID19 but in general acquired immunity doesn't offer certainty, it just massively improves odds. This is also true for immunity gained after vaccinations. What it does is change the probability of the different possible outcomes.

Immunity means the next time the virus enters your body your immune system will recognise it and you will make antibodies to fight it. This means one of three things will happen.

1 The antibodies get it removed before you even knew it was there (no symptoms, didn't even know it was there)
    2 The antibodies get it but only after you have had a few mild symptoms
    3 You get the full illness but you are still way more likely to survive it.

What previous infections and vaccinations do is massively change the probability of which group you will be in. For some it is pretty much 99.9% you will be in group 1 so they are pretty much cures. I'm not sure COVID-19 has been around long enough for anybody to comment on the percentages although I guess they are beginning to find out if anybody appears to get it twice in China.
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 19:101 edit
    @petewxyz

I thumbed this because of 1. Not to say (edit) that people are still dying (they are), I don't know if I have it & until there is a test on my doorstep... It's Chess & XBOX all the way baby...
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 20:00
    @petewxyz said
    I'm not sure COVID-19 has been around long enough for anybody to comment on the percentages although I guess they are beginning to find out if anybody appears to get it twice in China.
    I saw something the other a day - an expert, saying that it wasn't known what
    level of immunity if any, survivors would have. I found that rather worrying.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 20:09
    @wolfgang59 said
    There have also been some recent reports of people contracting the virus for a second time. (I think though these are isolated accounts and that the returning virus had milder symptoms).
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 20:34
    @hells-caretaker said
    @petewxyz

I thumbed this because of 1. Not to say (edit) that people are still dying (they are), I don't know if I have it & until there is a test on my doorstep... It's Chess & XBOX all the way baby...
    I think I have it too. I have had it for six weeks now. I expect a few of us are going through it so I don't mind talking about. I'll share some detail below so don't read on if you don't like that but it isn't that bad what I have had!

I seem to have the biphasic pattern that is being described so I keep feeling pretty much recovered, sometimes for most of the day now, then it's like it starts all over again which for me is croaky voice, sore throat, cough that produces nothing, frontal headache (probably sinuses) and occasionally watery blood stained mucous in my nose. It keeps you awake some nights but okay others.

It's strange how varied it has been for different people who have been in communication with me. It helps me just to keep thinking that every day that passes is a day more that my immune system has been learning about it. I only had one week where there were flu like aches and pains and they weren't often.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 20:45
    @petewxyz said
    I think I have it too. I have had it for six weeks now. I expect a few of us are going through it so I don't mind talking about. I'll share some detail below so don't read on if you don't like that but it isn't that bad what I have had!

I seem to have the biphasic pattern that is being described so I keep feeling pretty much recovered, sometimes for most of the day now, t ...[text shortened]... ning about it. I only had one week where there were flu like aches and pains and they weren't often.
    Great that you’re getting over it. What’s your age?
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 20:59
    @wolfgang59 said
    The only way people are surviving, which the vast majority are, is through the action of their immune system since there is no other treatment, so it would be wrong to feel too gloomy about what our immune systems can do. There were viruses being defeated by immune systems long before there was medicine!
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 21:03
    @drewnogal said
    Great that you’re getting over it. What’s your age?
    I am 59 and reasonably physically fit so not too worried, but there are plenty of survivors of all ages. The news shows worst cases scenarios, but the news also shows lottery winners and I have never expected to be one of them!
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 21:06
    @petewxyz said
    I think I have it too.
    Aren't you supposed to get tested!?
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 21:121 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    Aren't you supposed to get tested!?
    The only testing in the U.K. is for people in hospital and hospital staff and I think they are struggling to get enough tests for that. I was able to retire at 55. I do have a congenital anomaly of my heart but if you were going to have one its the one you would want and the virus doesn't seem to play my heart up.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 21:16
    @petewxyz said
    The only testing in the U.K. is for people in hospital and hospital staff and I think they are struggling to get enough tests for that. I was able to retire at 55. I do have a congenial anomaly of my heart but if you were going to have one its the one you would want and the virus doesn't seem to play my heart up.
    Best of luck then!
    Have you seen the exercises on "breathing"?
    Apparently they help alleviate and prevent symptoms.
    Also - and I am VERY skeptical about this - everyone is raving about chicken soup!
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 21:32
    @wolfgang59 said
    Best of luck then!
    Also - and I am VERY skeptical about this - everyone is raving about chicken soup!
    The thing that made the most sense for me was written by a Japanese doctor. Obviously don't drink too much water as that is dangerous but keep sipping. I always have a glass next to me and I make two pint glasses last 24 hours. Moist mucous membranes are better protected by your immune system than dry ones. Also better to wash virus into your stomach acid than leave it on the surfaces you breath over. I sleep on my left side slightly tilted towards face down, that makes mucous more likely to flow away from your lungs than towards them. I position a pillow so I don't roll over in my sleep.

Thanks for wishing us well. I am fine but when I read Hell's Caretaker had it too I thought why not talk about it.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 22:36
    @wolfgang59 said
    Best of luck then!
    Chicken soup or rather bone broth has an excellent nutrition value and it is very easily digested. It’s great for when you don’t feel well enough to eat with a high protein content and helps improve hydration.
  15. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 00:00
    @ogb said
    Yes.

I have read that in numerous articles in the last month. I think China was the first to raise this issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree