1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 03:18
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-43007051/i-fix-umbrellas-to-save-the-world

This Frenchman repairs umbrellas - he is the only man in Europe who does.
    He even gets clients from Australia. (I didn't even know it rained there!)
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:56
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-43007051/i-fix-umbrellas-to-save-the-world

It only storms
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:32

Try a different news channel 😛
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:52
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Try a different news channel 😛
    There is only the BEEB
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 11:10

In our "toss it out and just buy another" world, this doesn't surprise me.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:29
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    In our "toss it out and just buy another" world, this doesn't surprise me.
    Last Autumn, on a particularly windy and rainy day I popped into a shop to buy an umbrella and it functioned as such for around 7 seconds before being blown inside out and irreparably damaged.

That's 3 pounds I'll never see again.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:37
    In Belgrade there is an expression for a man (*or more often for a woman) who grew rapidly old and ill: ravaged as a Chinese umbrella (meaning, of course, that cheep Chinese umbrellas /until year ago, Belgrade was full of Chinese shops of everything, usually of dubious quality).

I belong to that sort of people who forgets gloves, umbrellas, hats, walking sticks (with or without inbuilt sword or riffle), handbags, Geiger counters compasses, machetes, spy cameras in pens and binoculars (regardless I don't get all of those objects with me, usually).

But I found myself in the rain do often during last travels, so I finally bought 2 umbrellas in Malta, this time little better than Chinese ones. The one is even windproof ans is still unpacked. The other one served me well during last 2 years.

Climate changed so drastically, that, for example, in Denmark it rains almost every day and several times a day. Once I had to buy umbrella from the hotel I was logged in, with hotel logo, and it didn't last long, since Copenhagen is also windy. I hear from people from Denmark that they now have only Autumn with few snowing days.

In Serbia there used to be Gipsies who collected old motor car accumulatots but offered instant repair of umbrellas. (Now only peasants sells potatoes on the door... Not even garbage men don't knock any more to sell garbage-postcards...)

But this guy cannot be the only one, I know for two umbrella workshops in Belgrade.
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:52
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Last Autumn, on a particularly windy and rainy day I popped into a shop to buy an umbrella and it functioned as such for around 7 seconds before being blown inside out and irreparably damaged.

This new umbrella technology will revolutionize the industry. Poor umbrella repair techs are being laid off by the millions.

YouTube

😛
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:53

You'd have only wasted two quid pre-Brexit!

(In response to Dive's 'request' for more Brexit debate!)
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:55
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    This new umbrella technology will revolutionize the industry. Poor umbrella repair techs are being laid off by the millions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeAowOiq0Y

😛
    But a new industry will spring up offering disposal of the water those things collect!
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 10:59

If you frequent the blustery Gurnos I’d recommend a roomy Gore-tex jacket with a peaked adjustable stringed hood. They roll up into the size of a mini rugby ball and fit into a brief case or the grip of a hand. The wind and rain will never get the better of you and well worth the cost. I gave up umbrellas in the olden days. 😉
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 11:02
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    If you frequent the blustery Gurnos I’d recommend a roomy Gore-tex jacket with a peaked adjustable stringed hood. They roll up into the size of a mini rugby ball and fit into a brief case or the grip of a hand. The wind and rain will never get the better of you and well worth the cost. I gave up umbrellas in the olden days. 😉
    LOL
    I like your SOH.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 12:12
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Splendid, I will acquire one. (To fit it in my brief case I'll probably have to remove the donkey jacket and gold bars).
  14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 16:17
    Umbrellas and walking sticks were the 2nd fastest growing German export in 2016.Up 30.6% ($130MILLION)😲
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 19:33
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    Umbrellas and walking sticks were the 2nd fastest growing German export in 2016.Up 30.6% ($130MILLION)😲
    And being German they don't break.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree