Vaping...

Vaping...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grass Farmer

Moves
23 Jun 19

I started vaping near a week ago. Haven't had a normal smoke in 4 days now which feels real strange for me after 30 years every day. I already notice breathing becoming easier as the dangerous CO levels they(the quit smoking clinic) test for decreases.

The idea is to switch to vaping(done) and then give that up which isn't an established addiction like 30 years of smoking.

Has anyone else had success using a vape to quit this disgusting habit?

E

Moves
23 Jun 19

@Executioner-Brand

Just a warning about vaping, the added moisture increases your risk of pneumonia and other bacterial problems in your lungs. At least that is what I saw on a news report.

Gothenburg

Moves
23 Jun 19

Vaping becomes a habit just as quickly as smoking, and may be even more difficult to quit as it doesn't bother anyone else. Why not just stop smoking?

Grass Farmer

Moves
23 Jun 19

Not much is known about vaping as it is still relatively new.

Unlike patches or gum vaping has the same hand to mouth action supplying the required amount of choice. It is a far easier switch which as a smoker has immediate health benefits due to stopping smoking or continued risk of cancer or death for 1/10th the cost... temporarily … unless I become REAL cool.

Grass Farmer

Moves
23 Jun 19

@torunn said
Vaping becomes a habit just as quickly as smoking, and may be even more difficult to quit as it doesn't bother anyone else. Why not just stop smoking?
I've smoked 30 years every day. I haven't been able to make a day without it until now. For myself, vaping is about a week long habit. How easy will it be for me to give that up as opposed to an ingrained 30 year habit?

E

Moves
23 Jun 19

@executioner-brand said
I've smoked 30 years every day. I haven't been able to make a day without it until now. For myself, vaping is about a week long habit. How easy will it be for me to give that up as opposed to an ingrained 30 year habit?
So do you have a cut off time for vaping?

Grass Farmer

Moves
23 Jun 19
1 edit

@eladar said
So do you have a cut off time for vaping?
I go back to the stop smoking clinic tomorrow so I'd probably need to seek advice on that. Not sure if it's best to decrease the nicotine(mg) levels or just go cold turkey. I was thinking a month.

edit: can't wait to test my carbon monoxide levels again to see how much change from dangerous levels I now have in my breath.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
23 Jun 19

@executioner-brand said
I started vaping near a week ago. Haven't had a normal smoke in 4 days now which feels real strange for me after 30 years every day. I already notice breathing becoming easier as the dangerous CO levels they(the quit smoking clinic) test for decreases.

The idea is to switch to vaping(done) and then give that up which isn't an established addiction like 30 years of smoking.

Vaping is for skids and posers.

Try this instead. Open a new pack of your favorite brand of cigarettes. Have a friend stick the filter end of one cigarette into his ass and randomly place it back in the pack. Butthole cigarette roulette is a great way to quit.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
23 Jun 19

@eladar said
@Executioner-Brand

Just a warning about vaping, the added moisture increases your risk of pneumonia and other bacterial problems in your lungs. At least that is what I saw on a news report.
We risk getting pneumonia if our health is compromised and we spend excessive time laying down and our lungs aren’t fully expanding and filling with fresh air. A 79 year old relative and 58 year old friend both died of pneumonia after initially becoming depressed. Both had been heavy smokers and the younger one also had osteoporosis. Vaping may potentially increase the risk for people with similar complications however for the average active person the moisture could help prevent the tight, dry cough that heavy smokers get at the start of giving up smoking?

E

Moves
23 Jun 19

@drewnogal said
We risk getting pneumonia if our health is compromised and we spend excessive time laying down and our lungs aren’t fully expanding and filling with fresh air. A 79 year old relative and 58 year old friend both died of pneumonia after initially becoming depressed. Both had been heavy smokers and the younger one also had osteoporosis. Vaping may potentially increase the ris ...[text shortened]... re could help prevent the tight, dry cough that heavy smokers get at the start of giving up smoking?
The news story I saw was saying there was a spike in pneumonia cases at emergency rooms shortly after vaping became popular.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
23 Jun 19

@eladar said
The news story I saw was saying there was a spike in pneumonia cases at emergency rooms shortly after vaping became popular.
Ok, so it looks like there will be further research into this. Interesting, hadn’t heard about it myself.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Jun 19

@executioner-brand said

The jury's still out on whether it helps quit. Theoretically, it should.

The caveats are that you can get a much higher dose of nicotine and get more addicted, and of course the physical constraints of the device itself. I've heard of these things catching people's pants or purses on fire.

E

Moves
23 Jun 19

@Suzianne

Recently a kid had one blow up in his face.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
23 Jun 19

@executioner-brand said
Not much is known about vaping as it is still relatively new.

Unlike patches or gum vaping has the same hand to mouth action supplying the required amount of choice. It is a far easier switch which as a smoker has immediate health benefits due to stopping smoking or continued risk of cancer or death for 1/10th the cost... temporarily … unless I become REAL cool.
I had a heart attack back in Dec 2016 and a subsequent triple bypass.
My surgeon was visibly disappointed when she explained that my lungs showed a slight bronchitis in my upper lungs and were otherwise healthier than someone my age (61). You see at that time I had been a regular cigarette for 49 years and I was expecting that my heart problems were as a result of long term smoking. I asked for her recommendation on how best to quit smoking. I specifically asked about switching to vaping. She told me that vaping and smoking had the same depressive effect on the cardiovascular system and were equally bad for the cardiovascular system. Since my heart problems were the result of my lifelong bad diet I did not quit smoking but did change my diet for the better.
Life is good and my health is good now.

E

Moves
23 Jun 19

@caissad4

Genetics are like that. You could smoke and have no ill effect, but someone around you could suffer.