1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 19:50
    When I was a kid we used to go chestnutting...Anyway this makes a change from chessing. (Yesterday I queened a pawn).
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Oct '16 11:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160825-why-medalling-and-summering-are-so-annoying

When posting on this thread you must coin new words by using nouns as verbs.

Don't rely on verbs that have already been created from nouns and have, as such, become accepted.

You should try to verb new nouns rather than using nouns that have already been verbed.
    I Need not use new verbing to describe the thumbing of this thread. Only if I refer to the downthumbing.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '16 14:59
    Verbing weirds language.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 14:22
    When I saw this thread I absolutely robbied myself.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 12:29
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    When I saw this thread I absolutely robbied myself.
    While Outsidering People wouldn't effect the same...
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 08:341 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In my town a few years back this idiot from across the street needed a battery. His name was Jones.

So he goes across the street, pulls up the hood on some random car, takes out the battery, strangely enough, gets caught.

So the town now has a new phrase whenever someone does something illegal really stupidly:

"Looks like he's Jonesing it again"
    That's not how we use "jonesing" where I come from. πŸ™‚

Back in the day, people who smoked pot in quiet gatherings would say, "Hey, don't bogart that whole joint."
    (Maybe this is only in America, I don't know.)

From Dictionary.com:
    bogart
    [boh-gahrt] (sometimes initial capital letter) Slang.

verb (used with object)
    1. to take an unfair share of (something); keep for oneself instead of sharing:
    Are you gonna bogart that joint all night?
    2. to bully or force:
    He just bogarted his way into the elevator!
    verb (used without object)
    3. to act or move in a tough or aggressive way:
    That big guy doesn't ask--he just bogarts.
    noun
    4. a person who hogs or monopolizes something.
    5. a person who acts in a tough or aggressive way.

Also, bogard [boh-gahrd].

Origin of bogart
    1965-70; in reference to Humphrey Bogart's typical movie role, a tough character with a cigarette
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 19:376 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's not how we use "jonesing" where I come from. πŸ™‚

Back in the day, people who smoked pot in quiet gatherings would say, "Hey, don't bogart that whole joint."
    (Maybe this is only in America, I don't know.)

From Dictionary.com:
    bogart
    [boh-gahrt] (sometimes initial capital letter) Slang.

verb (used with object)
    1. to take an unfair shar ...[text shortened]... 965-70; in reference to Humphrey Bogart's typical movie role, a tough character with a cigarette
    YouTube

Surely you remember this song? Don't bogart that joint my friend, Country Joe and the Fish...

Or this one: "I'll never smoke weed with Willie, my friend''

YouTube

It's interesting the guy on the right, I think he wrote that song, is playing a classic guitar like Willie's, who plays a classical guitar with pickup, it has a unique sound and you can hear that sound by the guy singing, he does some licks on the guitar. Willie must be the dudes mentor.

As an aside, GE Smith (guitar-bandleader) talks about and shows Mike Bloomfields guitar

YouTube

Had to throw this one in: 2 part interview with Keith Richards by Matt Sweeny (well known guitarist. Richards comes across very personable, not arrogant at all. He plays a little brown Martin in this interview a bit.

YouTube
  8. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 12:381 edit
    I hope that I am not other parts of speeching. Verbing is leyden jarring to me. I would hate to leyden jar others lids off. Especially when lidding leyden jars, and there are some of those around.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree