1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 03:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What is "hate"?

An aberration which occurs when self justification replaces acceptance
    of authority and/or when raw emotion replaces rational thought.
    Is this what you are essentially accusing people of ~ those who disagree with you or criticize you ~ when you insinuate [as you often do by way of thread OPs, quotations and other copy pastes] that their dissent or other contrary opinions are the product of "hate"?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 03:31
    in this case i think he's just parroting the thread title...

hard to tell some days...
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 03:37
    Originally posted by rookie54
    in this case i think he's just parroting the thread title...

hard to tell some days...
    Grampy Bobby ~ who likes to cast himself as an "authority" ~ often characterizes disagreement with him [mostly on the Spirituality Forum, but not always] as being caused by "raw emotion" and "hate" and in so doing absolves himself [in his own mind, at lest] of having to engage people and their differing ideas. 🙂
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 03:432 edits
    Hatred is the 'misunderstanding' of any good that is offered and only, usually through personal misconceptions, arrives back at the point of misunderstanding. It depends upon where the hatred is sent - be that externally or internally. External hatred is usually a result of envy, and internal hatred is usually a result of feeling that one's own pride has been invaded or, indeed, one's own level has not been reached as per self-expectations and aims for what is considered 'ideal' - or in other words 'a guilt complex'. IMHO

-m.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 04:03
    I think ideology is often behind "hate".

Ideology, by asserting certain answers to certain questions, usually seeks to stifle deliberation and debate and perhaps even diversity.

The sheer force of certainty that can be generated by ideology ~ take fanatical Muslims for example ~ can easily turn "hate" into the go-to method and demeanour for dealing with or confronting dissent.

This dissent, in turn, is often dismissed (un-debated) with retorts like "haters gonna hate" and similar deflections by the ideologues.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 04:11
    That would indicate that contempt for one's own ideology leads to hatred?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 04:29
    Originally posted by mikelom
    That would indicate that contempt for one's own ideology leads to hatred?
    No. I don't think you can get that from what I wrote, but if you have then fair enough.

What I meant was that intellectual/ideological estrangement from those who do not subscribe to the ideology often manifests itself as "hate" ~ not that the ideologues would necessarily acknowledge that it was "hate" ~ while, on the other hand, the expression of dissent is often seen and portrayed by the ideologues as "hate".

Take U.S. politics for example, where ordinary people on "the right" who are fed up with how much tax they pay [and seeing what use it's put to] are frequently smeared with a broad brush by "the left" as "haters" and "racists" and so on and so on.

These insults are largely underpinned by the fact that ideology makes many people unable to process disagreement. "Hate" and "hatred" and "hater" are thus words that trip off the tongue easily.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 07:24
    What is "hate"?

An aberration which occurs when self justification replaces acceptance
    of authority and/or when raw emotion replaces rational thought.
    Without acceptance of authority there's no teachability; without teachability there's no learning; without learning there's no growth; without growth there's no maturity: steady diets of self justification result in self deception and immaturity. Without rational thought there's no objectivity; without objectivity the decision process malfunctions; without sound decisions there's no basis for character virtue or integrity: steady diets of raw emotion result in irrational hatred. Life's too short to hate.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 07:26
    Hatred is the 'misunderstanding' of any good that is offered and only, usually through personal misconceptions, arrives back at the point of misunderstanding. It depends upon where the hatred is sent - be that externally or internally. External hatred is usually a result of envy, and internal hatred is usually a result of feeling that one's own pride has bee ...[text shortened]... tions and aims for what is considered 'ideal' - or in other words 'a guilt complex'. IMHO

-m.
    Well said, Mike.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 07:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    The New York Times Magazine for this week says we classify those who oppose us as haters and say "Haters gonna hate" to assuage our own egos. It allows us to dismiss the criticism, which might to some degree be valid. But the online disinhibition effect means that the criticisms we receive in these forums is probably more strongly stated than it would be face to face, and the effect is to make us defensive. It's understandable, if a little destructive.
    Insightful, JS.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 08:00
    Without acceptance of authority there's no teachability; without teachability there's no learning; without learning there's no growth; without growth there's no maturity: steady diets of self justification result in self deception and immaturity. Without rational thought there's no objectivity; without objectivity the decision process malfunctions; without sound decisions there's no basis for character virtue or integrity: steady diets of raw emotion result in irrational hatred. Life's too short to hate.

Good grief! Whose or what "authority" are you referring to?
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 09:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Without acceptance of authority there's no teachability; without teachability there's no learning; without learning there's no growth; without growth there's no maturity: steady diets of self justification result in self deception and immaturity. Without rational thought there's no objectivity; without objectivity the decision process malfunctions; without so ...[text shortened]... ed. Life's too short to hate.

Good grief! Whose or what "authority" are you referring to?[/b]
    I believe this authority?

YouTube
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 09:23
    I believe this authority?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo
    Nah... it's not in Koine Greek. 😕
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 11:29
    Without acceptance of authority there's no teachability; without teachability there's no learning; without learning there's no growth; without growth there's no maturity: steady diets of self justification result in self deception and immaturity. Without rational thought there's no objectivity; without objectivity the decision proce ...[text shortened]... grity: steady diets of raw emotion result in irrational hatred. Life's too short to hate.
    Footnote: Rejection of parental authority by children, educational authority by students, a coach's authority by team members, a superior's workplace authority by subordinates, Russ' authority by RHP Members eventuates in arrogance.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '15 11:421 edit
    Footnote: Rejection of parental authority by children, educational authority by students, a coach's authority by team members, a superior's workplace authority by subordinates, Russ' authority by RHP Members eventuates in arrogance.
    I'm afraid this doesn't ring true. I reckon acceptance/rejection of "authority" is a red herring in terms of any useful definition of "hate". I see no reason to believe that a person who feels "hate" is any more likely to have rejected "authority" than he or she might have accepted "authority". Some of the great industrial scale hatreds of the C20th were closely entwined with faithful subscription and submission to ideological authority.

I can't imagine how the rejection of, for example, "a coach's authority by team members" would necessarily result in "hate" unless you are thinking of some anecdote from your own life from which no valid definition of "hate" or its causes can be extrapolated or generalized.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree