1. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 02:56
    The original poster is sexy and I wish she would post more. Just saying.
  2. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 02:58
    ... although her chess is atrocious.
    Just saying.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 03:00
    @chessturd said
    Just saying.
    And you chose your handle quite accurately.
  4. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 03:44
    LoL made me laugh.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 05:30
    @chessturd said
    Just saying.
    You’re absolutely right about my chess...it’s really terrible. Years ago I started on this site and made the mistake of playing others extremely over my ability...my rating plummeted and i’ve never seemed to overcome my bad chess...

But I’ve had some great conversations and made some pretty great friends here.

As for the chess, my dad taught me during a time (in my teens) when I was not inclined to learn from him. He passed away last July and I wish he were here to play one more game. I wish I’d listened better.

As for chess here, I’ll just keep playing...
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 05:36
    @lemondrop said
    I started my project of walking the length of every street in my city of roughly 100.000 population some 20 years ago
    I've lost interest a number of times but what I've seen renews my interest now and again
    I have many more miles to go
    I love this idea! You get to know where you live and stay in shape.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 07:04
    @mudfinger said
    That's impressive. The veggies that is. As far as surfing goes, what's wrong with a slinky little bikini? 😉
    The number 63? - Besides, wetsuits provide warmth, extra buoyancy and are safer as surfboard fins can cut.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 07:37
    @hakima said
    I've undertaken (for the past three years now) writing an historical novel. The research is deliciously horrendous and involves a massive translating task from a language I know superficially.

Next year, I plan a solo trip to Germany to invoke my primary characters, know their locale, more research, and intensive writing.

What projects (outside work and this site) occupy your time?
    Project staying alive.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 07:49
    @badradger said
    Project staying alive.
    There’s no better motivator than that!
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 08:00
    @drewnogal said
    There’s no better motivator than that!
    It all depends on the quality of life one has!

-VR
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 08:04
    @chessturd said
    Is coin collecting a project?
    I do know it is an expensive investment.
    Very rewarding to have a hobby/interest that essentially saves your money.
    I guess finding key dates could be a project.
    Other than chess and coins I've got nothing but my rigged good lucks. 😉
    I use coin collecting as an alternative to a bank account. It is all about mintage and condition. Bank accounts don't pay much these days. Four years ago I sold my coin collection for a nice profit and bought a nice car. The look on the car salesman's face was priceless when I told him I would write him a check instead of financing.
    I have an even better coin collection now and will buy an even better car next year .
    I also hand polish Indonesian Black Amber (past 2 years). It is 15 million years old but deposits of volcanic ash around 60,000 years ago from a huge eruption left deposits on the amber. It is difficult to work with, but rewarding.
    Oh, and I play chess.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 08:14
    @caissad4 said
    I use coin collecting as an alternative to a bank account. It is all about mintage and condition. Bank accounts don't pay much these days. Four years ago I sold my coin collection for a nice profit and bought a nice car. The look on the car salesman's face was priceless when I told him I would write him a check instead of financing.
    I have an even better coin collection now ...[text shortened]... tion left deposits on the amber. It is difficult to work with, but rewarding.
    Oh, and I play chess.
    I never did get into coin collecting.

Yes, the look on the salesman's face when you say you are paying in cash or write out a check without being financed really is priceless. 😉 I let them go through their speech about how good their financing is first! What the hell the guy is usually getting a good commission on it anyways!

-VR
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 19:36
    @caissad4 said
    I have an even better coin collection now ...[text shortened]... tion left deposits on the amber. It is difficult to work with, but rewarding.
    Oh, and I play chess.
    The black amber interests me. Wondered if it was also known as Jet which I found it is. It became popular here in UK during the Victorian era. A friend has a beautiful collage of a butterfly made with large jet pieces. I also had a long jet necklace left by a late in-law who told me of it’s connection with Charles Dickens but was coerced into returning it during an acrimonious legal wrangle. After the dust had settled I discovered a tiny length of it strewn among filth and rubbish on a garage floor. Such a waste of a meaningful piece of jewellery which had been passed along the generations and which I occasionally wore.
  14. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 19:56
    That's sad.
    I'm obsessed with jewelry and a historic piece like that going to waste is very sad.
    I wouldn't have given it up regardless of the legal battle.
  15. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 06:08
    @drewnogal said
    The black amber interests me. Wondered if it was also known as Jet which I found it is. It became popular here in UK during the Victorian era. A friend has a beautiful collage of a butterfly made with large jet pieces. I also had a long jet necklace left by a late in-law who told me of it’s connection with Charles Dickens but was coerced into returning it during an acrimon ...[text shortened]... ingful piece of jewellery which had been passed along the generations and which I occasionally wore.
    Many people think Jet is black amber, but it is not. True Black Amber is the result of very hot volcanic ash falling on already formed amber and , due to heat exceeding 350 degrees, bonds to the surface of the amber. I removed all black ash from several pieces and it was just red, gold, gray, or white opaque beneath.
    Several pieces resemble petrified wood which is probably from burning trees (during the volcanic eruption) falling on amber deposits. From what I read, the volcanic eruption which formed this amber was a major event which wiped out most humans on the planet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree