1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Jul '20 19:37
    @moonbus said
    Of course, it was wonderful having an 18-yr old body then. On the other hand, there are things I can do now which I couldn’t when I was 18, and I would not swap now even if I could.
    If I could keep the experience I've gained over the years. I'd swap in a heart beat if I could! 😉

-VR
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '20 00:29
    @drewnogal
    Won't be for a while, am upgrading a Collins 30L1 amplifier, maybe puts out a kilowatt on a good day, I'll be happy with 600 watts🙂
    Then I have to get a proper UHF antenna, I think they monitor the 450 megahertz band, and maybe the 2 meter band, 146 odd Megahertz.
    If you get the antenna aimed right you don't even need that much power, since it would be 240 odd miles up so aiming at it when it just about disappears over the horizon, maybe 500 miles away, which is not that big a deal since it would be a straight shot, no mountains in the way, line of sight.

I'll let you know if I succeed.
    It really compliments my work on Apollo 50 years ago at Goddard Space Flight center.
    Apollo Tracking and timing was my job back in those ancient days🙂
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jul '20 08:08
    @sonhouse said
    @drewnogal
    Won't be for a while, am upgrading a Collins 30L1 amplifier, maybe puts out a kilowatt on a good day, I'll be happy with 600 watts🙂
    Then I have to get a proper UHF antenna, I think they monitor the 450 megahertz band, and maybe the 2 meter band, 146 odd Megahertz.
    If you get the antenna aimed right you don't even need that much power, since it would be 240 od ...[text shortened]... at Goddard Space Flight center.
    You may know this already, but if you mount a directional antenna on a tripod with an equatorial mount (they have an electric motor which tracks a target), you could probably get by with very little power.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 07:591 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @drewnogal
    If you get the antenna aimed right you don't even need that much power, since it would be 240 od ...[text shortened]... at Goddard Space Flight center.
    Any succes by now?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 08:08
    @divegeester said
    When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful
    A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
    And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily
    Oh joyfully, playfully watching me
    But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible
    Logical, oh responsible, practical
    And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable
    Oh clinical, ...[text shortened]... please tell me what we've learned
    I know it sounds absurd
    Please tell me who I am

Roger Hodgson
    crap then still crap now soft rock
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 08:47
    @sonhouse said
    @drewnogal
    You probably would want the extra distance you'd get with a skip. The good news is that AM can do this easily. Buildings suck up the AM signal though, so out in the country is better for LD skip.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 08:50
    @moonbus said
    You may know this already, but if you mount a directional antenna on a tripod with an equatorial mount (they have an electric motor which tracks a target), you could probably get by with very little power.
    You'd have to be exact, though, even a bit off and you'd miss your target. Better to use an omni and rely on the skip.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 09:31
    @lemondrop said
    😢
    There, there, come on ..... lets go pick some strawberries to eat with ice cream 😺

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree