1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Apr '20 15:10
    @torunn said
    I know there were many poor people here but in other places, not where I lived, where there was social progress, most families had similar circumstances or slightly better. When I started school, it was a modern comprehensive school where the education was 9 years minimum. Living under poor conditions, you can't maintain that - the family needs money. We were fortunate, growin ...[text shortened]... 0-60's. There may be people my age with totally different memories, but to me those were good times.
    I am sure there are others who have different stories from the same time period. As I said you were one of the more fortunate ones. Consider yourself lucky!

-VR
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Apr '20 15:14
    @very-rusty said
    I am sure there are others who have different stories from the same time period. As I said you were one of the more fortunate ones. Consider yourself lucky!

-VR
    As I said, we had enough and never asked for more. My father worked in a shipyard and my mother in a bakeshop, and I have no siblings. There was progress for everybody, even poorer people, it took a little longer, that's all. We were all lucky.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Apr '20 11:11
    @torunn said
    As I said, we had enough and never asked for more. My father worked in a shipyard and my mother in a bakeshop, and I have no siblings. There was progress for everybody, even poorer people, it took a little longer, that's all. We were all lucky.
    As I said you were lucky, I am betting many were not as fortunate as you in those days. I am assuming you saw them at school!

-VR
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 08:35
    @trev33 said
    When was the last time you bought a barrel of oil?
    Exactly...
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 08:59
    @petewxyz said
    The frequency I buy books from Amazon has gone up.
    I buy my books via the local bookstore, to support it. I also like the idea to return to the store itself.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 09:09
    @ponderable said
    I buy my books via the local bookstore, to support it. I also like the idea to return to the store itself.
    I do as you do, buy from the local bookstore, and avoid libraries.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 09:15
    @ponderable said
    Yeah, I should change my ways. I act shocked that they arrive in plastic bags but I should see it coming. Retirement is a great opportunity to live better so no excuses!
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 12:00
    @petewxyz said
    Yeah, I should change my ways. I act shocked that they arrive in plastic bags but I should see it coming. Retirement is a great opportunity to live better so no excuses!
    So are you saying in your country you can live better on retirement than working?

-VR
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 12:34
    @very-rusty said
    So are you saying in your country you can live better on retirement than working?

-VR
    Depends whether you mean materially or emotionally. I am time rich now. I was still doing a lot of work before lockdown but it was voluntary so I knew I could walk away at any time. Totally different experience to being obligated 24/7. As long as I can renew my season ticket at Anfield, do a few European away games and some budget travel I have enough!
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Apr '20 12:36
    @petewxyz said
    Depends whether you mean materially or emotionally. I am time rich now. I was still doing a lot of work before lockdown but it was voluntary so I knew I could walk away at any time. Totally different experience to being obligated 24/7. As long as I can renew my season ticket at Anfield, do a few European away games and some budget travel I have enough!
    Well one has to have enough money to live on and emotionally well that can vary from person to person.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree