1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 21:35
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    OK I was successful this time. It was 4.
    Is that in pints?
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 22:11
    Originally posted by JS357
    Is that in pints?
    Say I do have a reputation don't I?..but no it's not pints just 4 Velocitors (a very new scientific term).
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 10:08
    I know. That's why I said speed. The way I learned it, velocity includes both magnitude and direction. I didn't want to get into discussion of the rate of directional change of points on a rotating sphere vs points on a rotating disc.
    if you can live on pancakes you can live on a flat earth.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 16:42
    Originally posted by redbadger
    if you can live on pancakes you can live on a flat earth.
    The closest approximation to the physical conditions on a spherical planet would probably be on a cube, living on the faces. but the atmosphere and its various layers would not simply be larger cubes, and the oceans and living conditions would be rather weird due to the distribution and orientation of gravitational attraction.

http://news.discovery.com/space/what-if-earth-was-a-cube-110815.htm
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 17:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Dam round planet! I am at work and have to wait 3 frigging hours to get hold of the left coast. If we lived on a flat Earth we would all have the same time zone. Anything we can do about that?
    I contest the time zone claim as this would depend on the relative orbit of the Sun in this scenario. However I can confirm that the earth is definitely flat. At least as far as the eye can see it is anyway.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I contest the time zone claim as this would depend on the relative orbit of the Sun in this scenario. However I can confirm that the earth is definitely flat. At least as far as the eye can see it is anyway.
    I was thinking if the disk was rotating around what we think of as the poles, the time of day would be very close everywhere, since the disk would be something like 12,000 km across, at 148 million Km (radius of Earth's orbit), X 2 X PI divide by 12,000 means from the position of the sun, from one side of the disk to the other would be an angle change of about 1.6 arc seconds, so as it spins around, the angle of sunlight hitting the disc would be essentially identical from one side of the disk to the other no matter the orientation of the disk with respect to the sun. So the time would be the same everywhere.
  7. rebel city
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 19:42
    I was thinking if the disk was rotating around what we think of as the poles, the time of day would be very close everywhere, since the disk would be something like 12,000 km across, at 148 million Km (radius of Earth's orbit), X 2 X PI divide by 12,000 means from the position of the sun, from one side of the disk to the other would be an angle change of ab ...[text shortened]... r the orientation of the disk with respect to the sun. So the time would be the same everywhere.
    Oh dear, I would have thought that living in a flat earth would be as simple as eating American pancakes with honey and butter spread all over with none of these complicated mathematical issues. 😕
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 20:42
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3011/what-would-it-be-like-walking-around-on-a-cube-shaped-planet

... Made of pancake?
  9. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 13:50
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3011/what-would-it-be-like-walking-around-on-a-cube-shaped-planet

... Made of pancake?
    with oxo gravy on it mmmm
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 18:33
    I was thinking if the disk was rotating around what we think of as the poles, the time of day would be very close everywhere, since the disk would be something like 12,000 km across, at 148 million Km (radius of Earth's orbit), X 2 X PI divide by 12,000 means from the position of the sun, from one side of the disk to the other would be an angle change of ab ...[text shortened]... r the orientation of the disk with respect to the sun. So the time would be the same everywhere.
    Would there be population on both sides of your disc? Then we would have still two time zones 😀
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 18:51
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Would there be population on both sides of your disc? Then we would have still two time zones 😀
    That depends on where the axis is pointing relative to the sun and whether this relationship changes during the year, no?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 05:53
    That depends on where the axis is pointing relative to the sun and whether this relationship changes during the year, no?
    Two suns - one for each side - and big dimmer switch for both.
    (If I was God that's what I would have done)
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 08:27
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Two suns - one for each side - and big dimmer switch for both.
    (If I was God that's what I would have done)
    How would that make for one time zone?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 23:47
    How would that make for one time zone?
    duh! The dimmer switches for the suns are synchronised. 😛
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 10:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    duh! The dimmer switches for the suns are synchronised. 😛
    I think you better go back to the drawing board. A sun on one side or 2 suns, one on opposite sides of Earth will still produce the same time zones we have now because at the perifery there would be sunrise and sunsets and in the middle it would be high noon. You can't get around that on a round planet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree