1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think you better go back to the drawing board. A sun on one side or 2 suns, one on opposite sides of Earth will still produce the same time zones we have now because at the perifery there would be sunrise and sunsets and in the middle it would be high noon. You can't get around that on a round planet.
    Maybe, and I'm just saying maybe, the bottom is in another dimension?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 14:06
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Australia.
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 14:17
    the 5th dimension great band stees
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 14:30
    Originally posted by redbadger
    the 5th dimension great band stees
    Didn't they sing that great old song We are living in the age of asparagus?
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 14:59
    Didn't they sing that great old song We are living in the age of asparagus?
    Yes and of course their early 70s hit "Occasionally My Love".
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 15:00
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Australia.
    exactly.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 22:52
    I think you better go back to the drawing board. A sun on one side or 2 suns, one on opposite sides of Earth will still produce the same time zones we have now because at the perifery there would be sunrise and sunsets and in the middle it would be high noon. You can't get around that on a round planet.
    Follow the conversation back. Talking about a disc!
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 09:15
    In the Soviet Union, all train schedules were posted in Moscow time. Don't know whether this is still the case. Doesn't that solve the time zone problem? Just declare all times to be the same as some arbitrary fixed one. Greenwich anyone?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 12:582 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    In the Soviet Union, all train schedules were posted in Moscow time. Don't know whether this is still the case. Doesn't that solve the time zone problem? Just declare all times to be the same as some arbitrary fixed one. Greenwich anyone?
    That would work if everyone decided to sleep at the same time, go to work at the same time regardless of daylight or nightime. We usually sleep when the sun goes down, at night. Not many people can get used to sleeping in the daytime hours.

The rich get rich, the poor get poorer if that were the case. Around London, with GMT, everyone is normal. The further away the closer you get to permanently sleeping in the daytime and your health would suffer.

Here on the east coast of US, we would have to go to bed at 3 PM while Londoners went to bed at 8 PM or so. Or 4 PM vs 9 PM say. Then the US is up at 11 PM or midnight and have to work through the night. That is only 5 hours difference. It would really mess with our circadian rhythms.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:48
    That would work if everyone decided to sleep at the same time, go to work at the same time regardless of daylight or nightime. We usually sleep when the sun goes down, at night. Not many people can get used to sleeping in the daytime hours.

The rich get rich, the poor get poorer if that were the case. Around London, with GMT, everyone is normal. The furt ...[text shortened]... ugh the night. That is only 5 hours difference. It would really mess with our circadian rhythms.
    True enough but after millennia our bodies would have adjusted to it.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 22:55
    True enough but after millennia our bodies would have adjusted to it.
    After 4 years in NZ I've still got jet-lag!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 07:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    After 4 years in NZ I've still got jet-lag!
    What is it like living in NZ? People friendly? Can you own land as an expat? Did you get your Wolfgang name because you like Mozart? Are you planning to stay permanently?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree