1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 06:401 edit
    I posted this in Suzie's "Bring it on!" Thread, but it got lost there. I would really be interested to hear:

Why are so many regulars afraid or ashamed to post a profile?

When I play a game or read an interesting post that I want to respond to, I often go check the person's profile. Too often I am rewarded with "So'nSo sob hasn't written a profile".

I understand fully that Internet culture allows you to masquerade and pretend to be who you aren't - agreed, that has certain advantages, weird though they may be.

Like create an alternative virtual persona without any accountability, which can be killed off and reborn as your fancy takes it, etc.

But surely, if you want to participate in especially the Debates or the Spirituality fora, it would be nice to know a little bit more about who it is that one is dealing with.

Having said that, some cryptic one-liners (e.g. FMF and sonhouse) are also useful! But I found it interesting to read that twhitehead, whom I have tassled with at times, is a programmer from Zambia, and RJHinds an ex-military guy. That explains quite a lot.

But maybe saying WHY someone is not willing or able to write a profile is already more self-revelation than that person is comfortable with!
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 06:53
    Originally posted by CalJust
    I posted this in Suzie's "Bring it on!" Thread, but it got lost there. I would really be interested to hear: [b]

When I play a game or read an interesting post that I want to respond to, I often go check the person's profile. Too often I am rewarded with "So'nSo sob hasn't written a pro ...[text shortened]... or able to write a profile is already more self-revelation than that person is comfortable with![/b]
    I'm an intergalactic man of mystery, so I necessarily need to keep a low profile.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 06:57
    The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
    2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
    3 What profit hath a man of all his labor which he taketh under the sun?
    4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
    5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
    6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
    7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full: unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
    8 All things are full of labor; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
    9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
    10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
    11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 06:58
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'm an intergalactic man of mystery, so I necessarily need to keep a low profile.
    Well, that's as may be, but why not post something that is interesting to you nonetheless, like a poem or a scene from a movie, or a passage from a book?

That's what I do, and I change them up as I get tired of them or something new catches my fancy.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 07:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, that's as may be, but why not post something that is interesting to you nonetheless, like a poem or a scene from a movie, or a passage from a book?

That's what I do, and I change them up as I get tired of them or something new catches my fancy.
    That's not a bad idea. I should probably do something different with my profile, if for no other reason than because boredom is my biggest bug-a-boo here... and I don't even know what a bug-a-boo is! So it's back to google again, so I can find out what I just said. Wheeeee! 😵
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 07:18
    This would have been a great bug-a-boo for Halloween!

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/spider.gif
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 08:31
    I posted this in Suzie's "Bring it on!" Thread, but it got lost there. I would really be interested to hear: [b]

When I play a game or read an interesting post that I want to respond to, I often go check the person's profile. Too often I am rewarded with "So'nSo sob hasn't written a pro ...[text shortened]... or able to write a profile is already more self-revelation than that person is comfortable with![/b]
    Understand your disappointment, CJ, and also enjoy reading site profiles; however, suum cuique still rules the day.
  8. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 09:26
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem..
    Thanks, cowboy (or ChessPraxis), I am also a fan of Ecclesiastes and Proverbs.

Like your profile, btw. Good mix of info and philosophy.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:47
    i do not know why,
    i have not yet asked...
    to get a truthful answer here,
    might be a monumental task...
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:562 edits
    I don't think it's so much "afraid" or "ashamed" as a lot of people just come to the site and play their games, they don't even take the time to post in the forums. I guess a lot of them decide it's just too much trouble, especially if they don't think they're "part of the community".

As far as "regulars" not posting a profile, it could be they have just never taken the time. They'll probably come around, eventually. 🙂
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:56
    Originally posted by rookie54
    i do not know why,
    i have not yet asked...
    to get a truthful answer here,
    might be a monumental task...
    Well, one doesn't necessarily need - nor expect - a truthful answer. ANY answer will give one information.

Your profile indicates that you at least love poetry. And you have a pretty relaxed outlook on life - good for you!
  12. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:02
    I don't think it's so much "afraid" or "ashamed" as a lot of people just come to the site and play their games, they don't even take the time to post in the forums.
    You're probably right. But then I am really referring mainly to those "regulars" that do frequently post in the forums.

Btw, the other day I checked on some regular poster, and found that he/she had last moved three years ago! So whilst some only play chess, some seem to use RHP only for the social contact, and not for the games.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:03
    Well, one doesn't necessarily need - nor expect - a truthful answer.
    And why not? You sound like all these other idiots who say "I just assume everyone on the Internet is a man."

I think if someone is going to post, they should at least have the expectation that what they post is true. If it's not, then the person deserves to be called out for it. I just assume everything people say is real, or at least a version of it run through the filter of their mind.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:041 edit
    You're probably right. But then I am really referring mainly to those "regulars" that do frequently post in the forums.

Btw, the other day I checked on some regular poster, and found that he/she had last moved three years ago! So whilst some only play chess, some seem to use RHP only for the social contact, and not for the games.
    Well, this is true enough, and I would hope these people are more likely to post something in their profile.

Calling them out for not doing so, though, seems counter-productive. You're not going to guilt them into it.
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 18:16
    You sound like all these other idiots who say "I just assume everyone on the Internet is a man."
    hmmm, i did not 'hear' that in his(her?) post, but, fair enough, i guess...
    personally, (and isn't that all any of us really have???) i assume that everyone posting is an alien from another planet/solar system/galaxy and they're testing ME to find out if i am worthy of assimilation...

so far, no luck...

maybe i don't taste as good as i think i do...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree