1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:021 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    What specific question did you have in mind?
    Well you have suggested that RHP is in danger of legal action being taken against it ~ and of it being closed down as a result ~ and this comment appears to have been triggered by the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" on page 3. However, from what I can make out from your subsequent posts, you seem to have been merely offering an irrelevant and not entirely coherent anecdote about some sort of nuisance law suit on a different web site.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well you have suggested that RHP was in danger of legal action being taken against it ~ and it being closed down as a result ~ and this comment appears to have been triggered by the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" on page 3. However, from what I can make out from your subsequent posts, you seem to have been merely offering an irreleva ...[text shortened]... and not entirely coherent anecdote about some sort of nuisance law suit on a different web site.
    No, I'm not suggesting RHP is in any danger. It's called perspective, and based on something that happened over 10 years ago at another site. The fact that members had the ability to ban from their sight anyone who was being offensive means a lawsuit would have likely never seen the light of day.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:13
    No, I'm not suggesting RHP is in any danger. It's called perspective, and based on something that happened over 10 years ago at another site. The fact that members had the ability to ban from their sight anyone who was being offensive means a lawsuit would have likely never seen the light of day.
    What is the relevance of some threats of law suits over 10 years ago at another site (resulting in it getting closed down) to the possible revision of the Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:15
    No, I'm not suggesting RHP is in any danger.
    But you told a story about another web site getting closed down as a result of the danger posed by legal threats and then said "The situation there (at that other site) was no different than it is here." So how can you now be claiming that you were not suggesting RHP is in any danger?
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:181 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well you have suggested that RHP is in danger of legal action being taken against it ~ and of it being closed down as a result ~ and this comment appears to have been triggered by the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" on page 3. However, from what I can make out from your subsequent posts, you seem to have been merely offering an irrele ...[text shortened]... and not entirely coherent anecdote about some sort of nuisance law suit on a different web site.
    ...from what I can make out from your subsequent posts, you seem to have been merely offering an irrelevant and not entirely coherent anecdote about some sort of nuisance law suit on a different web site.

I don't need a special ignore feature in order to not see posts. If someone is being sufficiently offensive I stop reading his messages.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    But you told a story about another web site getting closed down as a result of the danger posed by legal threats and then said "The situation there (at that other site) was no different than it is here." So how can you now be claiming that you were not suggesting RHP is in any danger?
    The way many of the people here act is no different... I thought that was clear.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:24
    I don't need a special ignore feature in order to not see posts. If someone is being sufficiently offensive I stop reading his messages.
    Well yes, this is why your anecdote about a message board getting closed down (10 years ago) for the supposed reason of insufficient monitoring doesn't make much sense and seems irrelevant. And yet you claim that the situation there was exactly the same as the situation here.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:27
    The way many of the people here act is no different... I thought that was clear.
    So if the "way many of the people here act is no different" why are you saying this web site is not in danger from the threat of legal action when the way the people acted on that web site 10 years ago culminated in threats of legal action that resulted in the closure of its forums?
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well yes, this is why your anecdote about a message board getting closed down (10 years ago) for the supposed reason of insufficient monitoring doesn't make much sense and seems irrelevant. And yet you claim that the situation there was exactly the same as the situation here.
    There were annoying buttheads at that site too... annoying buttheads can be found at any game site. It's a systemic problem at game site message boards. Not just here or the other one I talked about, but pretty much everywhere.

Is there a point you wish to make, or somewhere you're going with this... ?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:371 edit
    There were annoying buttheads at that site too... annoying buttheads can be found at any game site. It's a systemic problem at game site message boards. Not just here or the other one I talked about, but pretty much everywhere.

Is there a point you wish to make, or somewhere you're going with this... ?
    I'd be interested in your genuine answer to the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" because the one you offered on page 3 just seemed to be tangential and self-contradicting. For example, do you believe there is some revision of the Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service that could somehow preclude the fate of that other web site 10 years ago?
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:452 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd be interested in your genuine answer to the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" because the one you offered on page 3 just seemed to be tangential and self-contradicting. For example, do you believe there is some revision of the Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service that could somehow preclude the fate of that other web site 10 years ago?
    On page three I said:

"If the terms are not enforced then revising them won't accomplish anything."

The terms of service at this site are basically the same as terms of service agreements at other game sites. Anyone with a lick of common sense and decency could get by without actually reading it, because the agreement exists in part to forewarn people lacking in common sense and decency. And it protects the management whenever banning someone who was given fair warning... terms of service is fair warning.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 03:52
    On page three I said:

"If the terms are not enforced then revising them won't accomplish anything."
    Yes and you went on to say that another web site got closed down because of the threat of legal action. But then the went on to say (again) that this will not happen here. So would it be fair to say that your answer to "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" is "no"?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 May '16 04:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes and you went on to say that another web site got closed down because of the threat of legal action. But then the went on to say (again) that this will not happen here. So would it be fair to say that your answer to "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" is "no"?
    The other website did not get closed down. The owner dropped the message boards at his site... it's his site, and it was his decision to drop the boards.

If Russ wanted to shut down the boards here there would be nothing you could do to stop him. And if he doesn't shut down the boards, I doubt there's anything you could do about that either.

There, do you feel better now?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 May '16 04:28
    Did you read his message about what he going to do and why he decided to drop the boards?
    I actually left the site some time before that final action, but it was still just another result of his own actions, which actually united his users against him and led to the forums becoming bitch-fests in the first place. The threats which came later were just a natural progression of the anger felt by his users towards his mis-management.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 May '16 04:311 edit
    If Russ wanted to shut down the boards here there would be nothing you could do to stop him. And if he doesn't shut down the boards, I doubt there's anything you could do about that either.
    But why would Russ want to shut down the General Forum? Why would anyone want him to shut it down?

And what does this have to do with the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree