"Why is this forum dying?"

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
I actually left the site some time before that final action, but it was still just another result of his own actions, which actually united his users against him and led to the forums becoming bitch-fests in the first place.
Was there an element of "bitch-fest" going on here during the 'Jalapen̂o Donkeys days' you are nostalgic about?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by FMF
Was there an element of "bitch-fest" going on here during the 'Jalapen̂o Donkeys days' you are nostalgic about?
Shut up, Mr. Obnoxious Interrogator, I wasn't talking to you. Through your behavior in this thread, you've already proven that, according to the OP, you're part of the problem. And you never know when to quit.

You've already run off your first target, don't start in with me.

F

Moves
07 May 16

Through your behavior in this thread, you've already proven that, according to the OP, you're part of the problem.
How so?

F

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
The terms of service at this site are basically the same as terms of service agreements at other game sites. Anyone with a lick of common sense and decency could get by without actually reading it, because the agreement exists in part to forewarn people lacking in common sense and decency. And it protects the management whenever banning someone who was given fair warning... terms of service [b]is fair warning.[/b]
So are you saying that your answer to the question "Should Red Hot Pawn Terms of Service be revised?" is "no"?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)

18 Feb '14 20:11 Thread 153985 (Page 16)

"I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging mind and I salute you for this.
I have not posted anything for quite some time but I still enjoy your comments and the banter on this forum. I will say, however, that if any forum is dying it is the clan forum. I just posted a comment there and then realised when I surveyed the recent postings that this was pointless because the level of activity there is now virtually Marie-Celeste like. I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome) despite your excellent prophylactic efforts to treat this." @Rene-Pogel

Your thoughts?

Read a book!

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)

18 Feb '14 20:11 Thread 153985 (Page 16)

"I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvena ...[text shortened]... nt prophylactic efforts to treat this." @Rene-Pogel

Your thoughts?
Do you have anything constructive to add to Thread 153985?

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
07 May 16

I actually left the site some time before that final action, but it was still just another result of his own actions, which actually united his users against him and led to the forums becoming bitch-fests in the first place. The threats which came later were just a natural progression of the anger felt by his users towards his mis-management.
Didn't know Russ was planning to close the boards at one point, that would have been a big mistake.
I think Russ made an error in judgement by keeping the Debate/General forum boards so squeaky clean and hoity-toity and having the mods ban people, it hurt the membership numbers.
People on the net love to squabble, troll and act like ace-holes, if he left the Debate/General forums open for mayhem he wouldn't have alienated so many people.
What was he thinking?

Read a book!

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
People on the net love to squabble, troll and act like ace-holes
Donald Trump's motto.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Including us?
Yup 😲

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 May 16

Shut up, Mr. Obnoxious Interrogator, I wasn't talking to you. Through your behavior in this thread, you've already proven that, according to the OP, you're part of the problem. And you never know when to quit.

You've already run off your first target, don't start in with me.
It was about 10pm here (where I live) and I was ready to leave the land of interweb, so he didn't exactly run me off. The timing was right though because he was starting to repeat himself, and couldn't seem to distinguish between boards being dropped and an entire website ending.

Anywho... I was aware of people saying he (Pat Chu*) was mismanaging the site, and assigning monitors who either didn't know what they were doing or were (intentionally) unfair because they had an agenda. This may have all started before I got there, because I couldn't get a clear fix on why this was a problem. Websites like his were a relatively new phenomenon, and so I'm sure there were plenty of unforseen problems cropping up.

Rules of the road came after automobiles first showed up, and not before... so having to deal with online problems after they become problems (and not before) is a part of the same natural progression seen when anything new shows up.

*gesundheit

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

It was about 10pm here (where I live) and I was ready to leave the land of interweb, so he didn't exactly run me off. The timing was right though because he was starting to repeat himself, and couldn't seem to distinguish between boards being dropped and an entire website ending.

Anywho... I was aware of people saying he (Pat Chu*) was mismanaging the ...[text shortened]... ore) is a part of the same natural progression seen when anything new shows up.

*gesundheit
Yeah, I left the site due to the mis-management. In just a few months, the site had become tedious. It was once a fun site to play on, and the numbers of different games was a plus, but when they drastically reduced everyone's "turns per day" and even which games you could access, it just wasn't worth the ten minutes of play I got out of it every day. The forums were just starting to get tedious when I left (they never were that great), and I came back some time later to see if it had gotten any better, but no, the site still sucked AND the forums were just "bitch-fests" by then too. Haven't been back since. Without forums, it might be better, but without a soul. Silencing dissent is usually not a good thing. The dissent is usually there for a reason, and the more crap you give the dissenters, the more dissent. It's not really the same situation here. Far more people use this site to play than the number who use the forums. And the users here are generally older, imo. We've passed our "woolly west days" in these forums. It would have to get way, WAY worse than it is now to get these forums shut down.

So to say these forums are dying is ridiculous hyperbole, just like all the other times people have brought this topic up. Yeah, there are a few recalcitrants, but they usually are called out, so in large part, the forums are self-regulating.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
Didn't know Russ was planning to close the boards at one point, that would have been a big mistake.
I think Russ made an error in judgement by keeping the Debate/General forum boards so squeaky clean and hoity-toity and having the mods ban people, it hurt the membership numbers.
People on the net love to squabble, troll and act like ace-holes, if he ...[text shortened]... eneral forums open for mayhem he wouldn't have alienated so many people.
What was he thinking?
He's not planning to close down the forums, and you're also wrong about the rest of your post, too, but you must be used to that by now. It's never wrong to enforce your ToS, it's when you don't enforce it, that people get alienated.

F

Moves
08 May 16

I may have 'misspoken' at some point. I was of course talking about forums being closed because whole web sites getting closed down is not the topic here.

F

Moves
08 May 16

So to say these forums are dying is ridiculous hyperbole, just like all the other times people have brought this topic up.
You should perhaps say directly to those who think that these forums are dying - and who bring up the topic time and time again - that it is "ridiculous hyperbole".

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
08 May 16

Originally posted by FMF
You should perhaps say directly to those who think that these forums are dying - and who bring up the topic time and time again - that it is "ridiculous hyperbole".
You should perhaps ask yourself what chance you have in talking her into dog piling on GB with you.