1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '15 16:231 edit
    post·pran·di·al
    ˌpōs(t)ˈprandēəl/
    adjectiveformalhumorous
    during or relating to the period after dinner or lunch.
    "we were jolted from our postprandial torpor"
    MEDICINE
    occurring after a meal.

New one for me! Found reading a sci fi book by Poul Anderson, (RIP) called Avatar:

"(As a matter of trivial fact, he was enjoying a postprandial cognac with a pretty and ambitious young statistician whose person he would enjoy later on)"
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 May '15 16:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    post·pran·di·al
    ˌpōs(t)ˈprandēəl/
    adjectiveformalhumorous
    MEDICINE
    occurring after a meal.

New one for me! Found reading a sci fi book by Poul Anderson, (RIP) called Avatar:

"(As a matter of trivial fact, he was enjoying a postprandial cognac with a pretty and ambitious young statistician whose person he would enjoy later on)"
    Good word. Is the idea to use it in a sentence or just wallow in it's brilliance?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '15 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Good word. Is the idea to use it in a sentence or just wallow in it's brilliance?
    I was thoroughly wallowing🙂 Had to get my pants washed....

So there must be a preprandial since prandial comes up as a word meaning 'while dining'

So preprandial must be what you do before dinner.

I washed my hands preprandially.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 May '15 20:16
    I was thoroughly wallowing🙂 Had to get my pants washed....

So there must be a preprandial since prandial comes up as a word meaning 'while dining'

So preprandial must be what you do before dinner.

I washed my hands preprandially.
    He died postprandial. The restaurant said it must have been something he'd eaten for lunch at another establishment and as such was taking no responsibility. To which his family said,"He hasn't eaten in a week."
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '15 22:20
    Gainsay: "Detractors can question what he stood for; fans can airbrush his legacy… But no one can gainsay his pure will to live in tragic circumstances." -- Jon Meacham, "Reagan: Why We've Deified The Gipper," Newsweek, December 28, 2003
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '15 08:37
    post·pran·di·al
    ˌpōs(t)ˈprandēəl/
    adjectiveformalhumorous
    MEDICINE
    occurring after a meal.

Yes, I was aware of this word because I'm diabetic and most diabetes management resources will tell you to test your blood glucose "preprandially" and two hours "postprandial".
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 May '15 10:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, I was aware of this word because I'm diabetic and most diabetes management resources will tell you to test your blood glucose "preprandially" and two hours "postprandial".
    Oh, jeez, sorry for your affliction. My wife has diabetic symptoms but due mainly to the huge doses of prednisone which is a two edge sword drug, does wonders for breathing if you have asthma and fibromyalgia and stenosis which she does but when she gets off of the prednisone the diabetic symptoms go away. Prednisone really screws up your body but it is also keeping her alive.

Diabetes is basically an autoimmune disease, as you well know, but strides are being made to eliminate that particular disease.

I am the lucky one in our family, 73 and counting, taking zero meds, blood pressure normal, creatine ok, cholesteral low and all that stuff.

I guess I chose the right parents🙂
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '15 20:401 edit

As a matter of fact, the last Poul Anderson book I read was Tau Zero.

Some good hard sci-fi there about relativistic time dilation. Even I could grasp the concept. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your wife, but I'm glad to hear that her diabetic symptoms are only from the medication. She's got a big enough cross to bear with all the other stuff.
  9. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    28 May '15 21:48
    Diabetes is basically an autoimmune disease, as you well know, but strides are being made to eliminate that particular disease.
    Diabetes is just another way of saying "I became such a fat bastard I can no longer be trusted with sugar".
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 May '15 22:51
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Diabetes is just another way of saying "I became such a fat bastard I can no longer be trusted with sugar".
    Type II, maybe. But there are entire genotypes, like various Native American tribes in the American Southwest, who are seen as "fat" only because their lifestyle before the white man came was one of living off the land, and living through "lean" times. After we crammed them onto their Reservations and fed them what was cheap and plentiful, they became "fat" because they still had the gene for surviving "lean" times with a lower caloric intake and thus their metabolism was set up to store fat for times when calories were few and far between. And then we stuffed their faces with white flour, lard and sugar. No wonder they, as a race, became "fat". Today, Gila and Pima Native Americans in Arizona have far higher rates of Type II diabetes than anywhere else in the country.

I'm Type I and I've never been "fat" in my entire life.

But don't let me stand in the way of your stereotypes.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 May '15 00:30
    "argle-bargle: copious but meaningless talk or writing." (oxforddictionaries.com)
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '15 12:33
    That was uncalled for.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '15 12:43
    You obviously don't know anyone with diabetes, or you don't know your friends and family well enough to know if they have the disease.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '15 13:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You obviously don't know anyone with diabetes, or you don't know your friends and family well enough to know if they have the disease.
    Or just don't have friends.
  15. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    29 May '15 13:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Type II, maybe. But there are entire genotypes, like various Native American tribes in the American Southwest, who are seen as "fat" only because their lifestyle before the white man came was one of living off the land, and living through "lean" times. After we crammed them onto their Reservations and fed them what was cheap and plentiful, they became "fa ...[text shortened]... ve never been "fat" in my entire life.

But don't let me stand in the way of your stereotypes.
    Did we stuff their faces or did they stuff their own faces.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree