1. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 03:27
    I just challenged the active newcomer jorrit577746 searching for an easy game and I discovered another cheater;he resignates games without moves to award winnings to iorrit ,who's obviously unbeaten.

The point is that seems is growing the number of players who join this site only to get a fat rating and not to play chess.

What else can be done to discourage those cheaters dishonoring the site?😕
  2. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 03:36
    I'm just disgusted ,because after days of posts about (now punished) mossgroup and pakaya, I challenged a newcomer and discovered a cheater,just too sad to me.........................
  3. Standard membercrythias
    Multiple OS User
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 05:24
    Minimum number of moves to resign. That's all. It won't keep people from completely cheating, and it will make it harder to detect cheaters, but resignation after the, say... 8th to 12th (arbitrary, random, and unspecified by RHP) move will make it too tedious to cheat. Yes, you can still resign to the same player, but it will probably not be worth it. And if the games are identical, that should be a flag. (10 games with the same final position after 10 moves ... you might be a cheater.)

Also, like I've been saying for years before, it shouldn't benefit a high ranked player to get more than a few points from a low ranked player.... Things may have changed... I haven't checked.
  4. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 07:07
    I don't understand the problem of cheaters. It doesn't bother me. If they want a high rating, so what? They will get bored with it after a couple of weeks or month anyway.

Ad.
  5. Netherlands, Utrecht
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 12:04
    I don't see the point in cheating ... 🙁
    it's so .... pathectic ..

anyone for a easy game .. challenge me 😀
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 14:14
    Originally posted by adje
    I don't understand the problem of cheaters. It doesn't bother me. If they want a high rating, so what? They will get bored with it after a couple of weeks or month anyway.

Ad.
    The problem with cheaters is that they make seem RHP like a site where it's easy to cheat,encouraging other newcomers to cheat instead of playing.
    within a week I discovered 4/5 cheaters and something like 30 false id from the sudden players just to play themselves.
    It's not a personal thing,those players give the site a bad name!
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 14:40
    I was instant messaging with bugs bunny a few nights ago and showed him the original mossgroup and top 20 cheater threads. Skeeter had said something like "Might not pay to join again."

Bugs said, "Can I ask you a question and don't get mad?".

I said "sure."

He said.... "What is the big deal with cheaters? Who cares?

I told him, "If you know they are cheating something should be done. They cheapen the site for all of us."

He said.... "Good point."

P-
  8. Delft, Netherlands
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 15:15
    what about
    the games of Sheward and Nathan sheward
    (I hope I spelled right) all zero moves
  9. Standard membercaptainchaos
    Very inconsistent
    Sitting down
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:26
    1) I don't see what the problem is here. If a player wants to boost his rating in this manner, so what? When it comes to a match against a proper opponent then his/her true rating will reflect in their play.
    2) If they are a known cheater then don't play them. They'll soon get bored and go away.
    3) The rules of this site say that you won't set up more than one account so as far as I can see then Russ is within his rights to delete all but one of the accounts.
    4) If you believe that a person is cheating, e-mail Russ direct and let him deal with it.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:29
    Sheward isn't even good at cheating! I don't see where he's trying to get. Hasn't moved in 10 days. Perhaps he saw the cheater posts and "got out of Dodge".

Lets hope.

P-
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:421 edit
    Originally posted by captainchaos
    1) I don't see what the problem is here. If a player wants to boost his rating in this manner, so what? When it comes to a match against a proper opponent then his/her true rating will reflect in their play.
    2) If they are a known ch ...[text shortened]... a person is cheating, e-mail Russ direct and let him deal with it.
    A Mosquito will eventually stop sucking my blood also... but I prefer to slap them.

I understand there isn't much we in the forums can do about it, and you are right.... it is not a BIG DEAL.

But to say you don't see a problem is silly. I'd eventually like to get into the top 400 or so at RHP and that won't happen if people keep cheating like this.

Russ might read these posts, Russ might not. I think it would be more petty to email Russ about cheaters every time one is seen rather than just post in the forums letting the public know what is going on.

As for a person cheating and Russ should delete all the players but one? Why. They cheated, they broke the TOS, they don't belong!

P-

Edit! See this post:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=8993&page=1
  12. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 17:45
    3) The rules of this site say that you won't set up more than one account so as far as I can see then Russ is within his rights to delete all but one of the accounts.
    1) Boosting one's own rating artificiallly isn't harmless - when a person that has boosted his rating beyond his true level of play looses to someone, then that someone will receive an undeservedly high boost to his rating too: thus the distortion to ratings spreads. If there are enough cheaters doing this, then the entire rating system will suffer from inflation - people's ratings will not correspond to their levels of play. So I definitely do think that this sort of behaviour must be discouraged, and weeded out if possible.

3) Russ would be within his rights to delete all accounts of the cheater - after all a cheater has violated the terms of service. What the best policy is, I don't know... perhaps there has to be some case-by-case consideration of a proper sanction. But this is up to Russ to decide.

-Jarno
  13. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 18:17
    2) If they are a known cheater then don't play them. They'll soon get bored and go away.
    3) The rules of this site say that you won't set up ...[text shortened]... unts.
    4) If you believe that a person is cheating, e-mail Russ direct and let him deal with it.
    As I said before this is not a personal problem,it's a site's problem and you don't solve it simply ignoring cheaters.

However we can't bother Russ evry time we find one;I think it's right to say it in the forums, make 'em shame and warn everybody not to play this people,then if Russ want to take care of this it will be good,if not I will continue to discover'em and to post in the forum.
    I think that's the only suitable thing we all can do .
    regards,Ravello
  14. Standard membercaptainchaos
    Very inconsistent
    Sitting down
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 17:49
    I now understand about why you shouldn't have inflated ratings and agree it's not on. 😀
    My only concern about putting stuff in forums is that (a) not everybody reads them and (b) there are too many threads to monitor what is going on. 😳
    If I spot any cheating I'll let you know.
    Yours in honesty, Paul.
  15. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 19:29
    Originally posted by yashin
    what about
    the games of Sheward and Nathan sheward
    (I hope I spelled right) all zero moves
    I saw those games and I can say it's useless to lower his rating to 1000:even with cheating sheward's rating is p1016 and nathan sheward's is 560!!!!!!!!!!! However,another newcomer who's on the site just to cheat and not to play............

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree