RHP General Forum Conversation

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Aug 13

Sole purpose of this thread: to disprove my already posted view to Ponderable (in the "jimslyp forum killing champion" thread) that, "... the cause of this forum's gradual decline is disinterest in conversation". If you will commit to helping 'our conversation' achieve one hundred plus (100+) posts by August 31, 2013, please sign here: 1) Grampy Bobby; 2) _____;

So, has anyone had any exceptionally exciting things or life changing events happen lately? I'm finally back to feeling well.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]RHP General Forum Conversation

Sole purpose of this thread: to disprove my already posted view to Ponderable (in the "jimslyp forum killing champion" thread) that, "... the cause of this forum's gradual decline is disinterest in conversation". If you will commit to helping 'our conversation' achieve one hundred plus (100+) posts by August 31, ...[text shortened]... exciting things or life changing events happen lately? I'm finally back to feeling well.[/b]
ok, there sholdn't be any problem to reach the 100 hundred. Did you ever wonder why we are so obsessed with "round" numbers?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by Ponderable

ok, there sholdn't be any problem to reach the 100 hundred. Did you ever wonder why we are so obsessed with "round" numbers?
"Did you ever wonder why we are so obsessed with "round" numbers?"

Yes. Concluded the convention relates to denominations of currency. Do you think 200+ is within reach by the same date?

Read a book!

Moves
05 Aug 13

Round numbers are friendly and easier to remember and reckon with.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hence the end of the practice of "Death by 723 cuts"

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
"Here's my two cents."

... an exception?

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 13

Needed to be specific to show lack of value.

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 13

Round numbers are mostly easier to say, seventy-nine has 4 syllables, eighty has 2. Three hundred and four has two syllables more than three hundred.

Exact numbers always offer encouragement to others to question your source and accuracy, because they sound real. Round numbers sound as if they were pulled from the air and are unlikely to be questioned in the same way.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
06 Aug 13

http://kdvr.com/2013/08/03/submit-your-weather-photos/

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 13

"Conversation" doesn't include links, except as add-ons to a particular conversational post. 😠

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
06 Aug 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
I'm finally back to feeling well.
You still look like hell, but your cough sounds better. 😛

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
06 Aug 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
"Conversation" doesn't include links, except as add-ons to a particular conversational post. 😠
It's now called conversating, try and keep up girlfriend!
*z snaps*

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Aug 13
2 edits

Needed to be specific to show lack of value.
Adds new meaning to "A penny for your thoughts" (my next thread's topic in this forum). Ha,

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
06 Aug 13

Round numbers are mostly easier to say, seventy-nine has 4 syllables, eighty has 2. Three hundred and four has two syllables more than three hundred.

Exact numbers always offer encouragement to others to question your source and accuracy, because they sound real. Round numbers sound as if they were pulled from the air and are unlikely to be questioned in the same way.
When you are selling something £1.99 is apparently better than £2.00 even though it has more syllables, is it the same with Aussie dollars?

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 13

Drapers' prices (they're the "just-under" ones) have always intrigued me because they show that my thought processes must be different from the norm. I see $5.99, I read $6, then I'm further along the aisle and decide I want it, but remember what I thought $6 and what I read =99 so I now think $7 and don't go back. Yet if I'd seen $6 I would now think $6. Daft.

I thought this habit would disappear along with halfpennies in 1966 but it seems the marketers and I have different ideas. I will say that almost nobody does it now outside the supermarkets, and they don't care what the cents digits are. I don't get a string of .99s on my register tapes.