"Closest thing to a philosophy forum..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

"Closest thing to a philosophy forum..."

"There admittedly are people here whose intent is to argue against theism. But for some, it's the closest thing to a philosophy forum on RHP. Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and meaning, have no other place to go at RHP; and we who think about these things in an non-theistic way are here.... I know enough about the history of this forum to understand it was designed as a sort of zone for arguments about God, that the Debates people, who want to talk about politics, got RHP to create, under the misnomer Spirituality." - JS357 Thread 157717 (Page 1)

Let's all take a different tack at least within this thread out of deference to the historical wishes of "the Debates people" who are focused on "Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and meaning... who think about these things in an non-theistic way..."

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

What is the ultimate meaning/purpose of human life?

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
What is the ultimate meaning/purpose of human life?
Are we looking at meaning, purpose or a calling like it’s some permanent unchanging aspect of our life?

Or is it philosophically sufficient to have a guiding meaning/purpose that accords with our current circumstances, knowing that our circumstances and meaning/purposes will change?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by JS357
Are we looking at meaning, purpose or a calling like it’s some permanent unchanging aspect of our life?

Or is it philosophically sufficient to have a guiding meaning/purpose that accords with our current circumstances, knowing that our circumstances and meaning/purposes will change?
Let's simplify even further: What is the ultimate "meaning" of human life?

Moves
01 Feb 14

[b]"Closest thing to a philosophy forum..."

"There admittedly are people here whose intent is to argue against theism. But for some, it's the closest thing to a philosophy forum on RHP. Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and mean ...[text shortened]... rtant, what gives purpose and meaning... who think about these things in an non-theistic way..."[/b]
You missed my saying "the Debates people, who want to talk about politics," which means they too, do not want to talk about philosophy (excepting possibly, political philosophy).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

You missed my saying "the Debates people, who want to talk about politics," which means they too, do not want to talk about philosophy (excepting possibly, political philosophy).
"Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and meaning, have no other place to go at RHP; and we who think about these things in an non-theistic way are here...."

Did my level best to get the focus off theism related topics/issues which seemed to be the stumbling block in this thread's parent thread. Guess the only question that remains is what do you and your friends want to talk about in this forum?

Cape Town

Moves
01 Feb 14

Let's simplify even further: What is the ultimate "meaning" of human life?
I think it is an error to talk of an ultimate meaning. Do you mean 'the most important meaning'? Do you mean 'a meaning that all other meanings lead up to'? I don't think the word 'ultimate' suits the former, and I don't think the later is possible.
Also, meaning is relative to an observing entity, so any talk of 'meaning' should reference which entity is being discussed. What meanings a given human life has will differ between you, I and the human in question. So even if you found some 'ultimate meaning' it would only hold true for particular observers. Other observers may totally disregard that meaning.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Feb 14

Guess the only question that remains is what do you and your friends want to talk about in this forum?
I find morality to be a very interesting topic. Also free will is interesting. But I recently discovered Sam Harris and believe that it would be hard to add to what he has to say on the two subjects.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think it is an error to talk of an ultimate meaning. Do you mean 'the most important meaning'? Do you mean 'a meaning that all other meanings lead up to'? I don't think the word 'ultimate' suits the former, and I don't think the later is possible.
Also, meaning is relative to an observing entity, so any talk of 'meaning' should reference which entity i ...[text shortened]... uld only hold true for particular observers. Other observers may totally disregard that meaning.
"Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and meaning, have no other place to go at RHP; and we who think about these things in an non-theistic way are here...."

... what gives purpose and meaning?

Moves
01 Feb 14
1 edit

There is a prior question or two: does life have an ultimate meaning? How do we know this?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I find morality to be a very interesting topic. Also free will is interesting. But I recently discovered Sam Harris and believe that it would be hard to add to what he has to say on the two subjects.
A few relevant Sam Harris Quotations may be appropriate.

Read a book!

Moves
01 Feb 14

What is the ultimate "meaning" of human life?
Being there.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Feb 14

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Being there.
"... there" or here or somewhere else or nowhere at all if this moment is a dream and we're all trying to get back home?

Cape Town

Moves
01 Feb 14

... what gives purpose and meaning?
A conscious entity.

D

Moves
01 Feb 14