1. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 12:33
    A meteorology professor stood before his Meteorology 101 class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty glass mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a jar of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open spaces between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar and of course the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and then proceeded to pour the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the grains of sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -- your family, your partner, your health, your children, your friends, your favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

"The pebbles are the other things that matter, like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. Play another 18.

"There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 12:48
    Originally posted by lolof
    A meteorology professor stood before his Meteorology 101 class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty glass mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a jar of pebbles and poure ...[text shortened]... show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
    I have heard of the illustration before and it illustrates setting priorities well although I disagree with the professors evaluation of what is important for as far as i can tell, its relationships that are important and houses and cars and jobs don't matter that much.
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 12:522 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have heard of the illustration before and it illustrates setting priorities well although I disagree with the professors evaluation of what is important for as far as i can tell, its relationships that are important and houses and cars and jobs don't matter that much.
    Robbie its on u tube u can see it done type jar of life or empty pickle jar
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 12:57
    An illustration and also a joke.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:18
    Best life philosophy is: Taste all the tortillas, knock all the doors
  6. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:18
    '"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -- your family, your partner, your health, your children, your friends, your favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full'
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:222 edits
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    '"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -- your family, your partner, your health, your children, your friends, your favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full'
    Hey Biffy, where ya been? it could be that I am human and not divine after all, for I make mistakes 😲
  8. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:27
    Hey Biffy, where ya been? Just goes to show great minds like I and the professor think alike!
    Wrong. It goes to show that you are not very good at reading English.Even when you take into account English not your first language. 😛
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:30
    You say you disagree and then just re-state the professor's priority list. Trying to make it look like you have the higher priorities when they're exactly the same.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 13:36
    the most important thing in my life is my Porsche 911my devo speedboat my moated castle and my very expensive lifestyle.😀
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 14:58
    Originally posted by redbadger
    the most important thing in my life is my Porsche 911my devo speedboat my moated castle and my very expensive lifestyle.😀
    I say it's breathing.
  12. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 15:00
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I say it's breathing.
    yeah GBS you are right and I don't own a Porsche 911 its a ferrari 😏
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 15:05
    Originally posted by redbadger
    yeah GBS you are right and I don't own a Porsche 911 its a ferrari 😏
    I knew that because you like Italians. 🙂
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 15:05
    Originally posted by lolof
    Play another 18
    Good idea, but I can't get the balls out of the ****ing jar now.
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '14 15:17
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Good idea, but I can't get the balls out of the ****ing jar now.
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree