1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:17
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=164803

In the above thread, the idea of having one month free of malice, rudeness and any other kind of incivility on the spirituality forum was discussed. Hopefully, you've all had a chance to think it over, get some insults and whatnot out of your system, or maybe practiced ignoring flame-baits.

August 1st starts this Saturday. It will be interesting to see not only if we can make it through the whole month without bickering or being negative, but which side breaks first: will it be the religious or non-religious who fails to hold their tongue first?

In addition to obvious and outright forms of rudeness, I think for this month, we should also avoid:

1) Backhanded comments (posts disguised as civil posts which are meant to offend)
    2) Offensive comments toward atheism, theism, scientists or any deity. Criticism of these things aren't the same as being offensive toward them.

So...

To all those who have said they will take part in this effort for August, thank you. I myself will try to go the entire month to keep this up on every forum, no matter what anyone says to me. Yes, I'm fully aware that this will make me a target.

Best of luck.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:44
    Originally posted by vivify

August 1st starts this Saturday. It will be interesting to see not only if we can make it through the whole month without bickering or being negative, but which side breaks first...
    Forget 'the whole month', it will be interesting to see if we can make it through the first day.

Where do we stand on gentle sarcasm?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 17:03
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Forget 'the whole month', it will be interesting to see if we can make it through the first day.

Where do we stand on gentle sarcasm?
    I think we all know what sarcastic statements can be offensive. For example, if you speaking with your boss, you know even before saying it, whether or not a sarcastic statement will be acceptable or not. Or, if you were on a date with someone you liked, I'm sure it's not a mystery what type of sarcasm could potentially offend your date.

I guess when in doubt, simply opt to not use it.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 17:20
    It will be interesting to see not only if we can make it through the whole month without bickering or being negative, but which side breaks first: will it be the religious or non-religious who fails to hold their tongue first?
    To be fair, only monitor those that actually agreed to do so. If you announce that I was the first to break then I will take offence as I most definitely never agreed to to even try. Oh, and make sure that Kelly, who I believe first proposed the idea, stops his highly offensive practice of shunning people, otherwise you can count him as the first offender. Sometimes holding your tongue is as offensive as running it.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 17:59

In the above thread, the idea of having one month free of malice, rudeness and any other kind of incivility on the spirituality forum was discussed. Hopefully, you've all had a chance to think it over, get some insults and whatnot out of your system, or maybe practiced ignoring flame-baits. ...[text shortened]... hat anyone says to me. Yes, I'm fully aware that this will make me a target.

Best of luck.
    I'll see all you assh*les in September, then. 😉
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:30
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I'll see all you assh*les in September, then. 😉
    We may not be here in September.

By lasting a month without offending anyone it is just possible we will achieve a shared enlightenment and ascend to a higher plain.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:34
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    ... and ascend to a higher plain.
    The science forum perhaps?

I must warn you though, you'll have to spell it 'plane' over there.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:411 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The science forum perhaps?

😀

That forum scares the bejesus out of me.

*Edit. - First time i have used that emoticon. It also scares the bejesus out of me.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:45
    To be fair, only monitor those that actually agreed to do so. If you announce that I was the first to break then I will take offence as I most definitely never agreed to to even try. Oh, and make sure that Kelly, who I believe first proposed the idea, stops his highly offensive practice of shunning people, otherwise you can count him as the first offender. Sometimes holding your tongue is as offensive as running it.
    You know what, maybe I should just drop the theist vs. non-theist contest altogether. I thought it would be kind of a fun competition, but there's not enough people (on either side) who agreed to this.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:19
    Hear hear.

I too did not sign up to it and I shall be watching with keen interest those who do, especially as you say, KellyJay to see if he decides to speak to me during August.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:461 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Hear hear.

I too did not sign up to it and I shall be watching with keen interest those who do, especially as you say, KellyJay to see if he decides to speak to me during August.
    It's all in KellyJay's motive. Is he doing so because he disapproves of your behavior? If so, that's his preoperative, isn't it? I don't think that should count as rude behavior.

EDIT: I'm not saying your behavior actually was rude or wasn't, I'm merely referring to KJ's perception of you.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 20:00
    Yes, I'm fully aware that this will make me a target.

Best of luck.
    You are a complete idiot!

😉
    Good Luck. ... I'll give it a bash too.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 20:02
    That is plain.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 20:54
    It's all in KellyJay's motive. Is he doing so because he disapproves of your behavior? If so, that's his preoperative, isn't it? I don't think that should count as rude behavior.

EDIT: I'm not saying your behavior actually was rude or wasn't, I'm merely referring to KJ's perception of you.
    He's doing it because he ended up with his pants down on the Internet in a thread about a year ago.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 21:121 edit

In the above thread, the idea of having one month free of malice, rudeness and any other kind of incivility on the spirituality forum was discussed. Hopefully, you've all had a chance to think it over, get some insults and whatnot out of your system, or maybe practiced ignoring flame-baits. ...[text shortened]... hat anyone says to me. Yes, I'm fully aware that this will make me a target.

Best of luck.
    So for the next month we're going to see a ten-fold increase in bull***t, along with uninterrupted Bible thumping ... how exciting! 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree