1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 04:52
    Trouble sleeping?

What are your top tips for beating the insomnia monster?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Trouble sleeping?

Live each day with a clear conscience.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Do you never have trouble sleeping?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:092 edits
    Perhaps you have not considered that people with insomnia can also have clear consciences and that people who do not have clear consciences can also sleep like logs, which makes your suggested "top tip" rather lame.

One would be forgiven ~ so please forgive me ~ for thinking that the seven words that you typed are not a considered answer to the OP question but are instead aimed at divegeester personally [without you doing so directly, of course] as you have aimed very similar remarks to these at him in the past. I don't think you can help yourself from doing it. 😉
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:14
    Trouble sleeping?

When I work late and my mind is still racing when I try to go to sleep ~ even though the work has exhausted me and my body is saying 'if you let me, I will nod off immediately' ~ I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep. I listen to podcasts on my phone ~ In Our Time, Thinking Allowed, Start The Week (from the BBC) or audio versions of The Economist ~ and it usually does the trick.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:16
    I prefer your frank on-the-nose direct response to Grampy Bobby to his apparent (and familiar) passive aggressive swipe at you.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:18
    Have you had any contact with people who suffer insomnia or ever read anything about it?
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:32
    Gee, when was the last time you slept, Dracula? 1945?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:32
    Never and I dream frequently though never any nightmares.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:34
    Never and I dream frequently though never any nightmares.
    Do you have a "tip" to offer instead of the "swipe" you took with your first post?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:48
    I don't do it anymore, but I used to find that when my eyes just could take it it no longer, sleep would ensure, and to this end I would read books. But I don't think I've read a book in bed for years.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:51
    Like many people who spend too long at their computers, I have difficulty winding down. I've taken to counting my breathing, which works most of the time but not always. There are sometimes things that can't be resolved on the day, and these are what occupy my mind when I should be "turning off". The old pen and paper trick (write down what you need to think about the next day) also works, because then the mind will stop bothering itself about stuff which might be forgotten overnight.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 06:03
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Like many people who spend too long at their computers, I have difficulty winding down. I've taken to counting my breathing, which works most of the time but not always.
    If I find myself simply staying awake to listen to the podcasts I mentioned, I do have a routine where I focus on each part of my body one at a time and imagine that it has gone to sleep and that I can no longer move it.

I start with a leg. And then move to the other leg. I end with my head. It's like imagining that I am gradually becoming paralyzed. It often works.

But if it doesn't, I might just choose to embrace the sleeplessness, look upon it as an opportunity, get up, and go and post on RHP forums.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 07:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    I prefer your frank on-the-nose direct response to Grampy Bobby to his apparent (and familiar) passive aggressive swipe at you.
    There you go again.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 07:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you have a "tip" to offer instead of the "swipe" you took with your first post?
    And again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree